• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
About 1 in 5 of my CDs sound a bit anomalously "hard" in the upper midrange. I have never heard this on a SACD or a reel to reel tape. It's worth it to me in order to enjoy the clear, clean, dynamic sound on the other 80%.
It's not the media but the instead the master that made that recording.
In the situations you brought up, they are always different sources.
Or possibly even your expectation bias of what you expect to hear.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
About 1 in 5 of my CDs sound a bit anomalously "hard" in the upper midrange. I have never heard this on a SACD or a reel to reel tape. It's worth it to me in order to enjoy the clear, clean, dynamic sound on the other 80%.

I've heard that too, and don't know what causes it. I don't think it's a frequency response emphasis; I think it's a distortion somewhere in the recording chain. My understanding is that distortions can show up as a tonalities.

Top Bottom