• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build me an ASR approved system

telemike

Looking for an ASR approved integrated amp or preamp + poweramp combo and DAC. Currently using a Denon PMA-900HNE. Let's say budget is $1800 or less. Maybe Schitt? Topping? Other?

Inputs:

Turntable with low output MC cartridge
CD player
TV (either optical or hdmi)
Blu-Ray (analog rca for SACD)
WiiM Mini via Optical

D

Deleted member 48726

Get ready for approximately 250 different opinions.. ;)

Are you buying new or used?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
T

telemike

Klipsch Forte
PXL-20230912-162430539.jpg
IV speakers

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

Peachtree Audio is currently taking trade-ins on the purchase of their 'Carina' series of integrated amplifiers. They recently listed a 'Nova 150' in their 'Recertified' section of their website in a Piano Black enclosure for $699 with a 'same-as-new' two-year warranty and may again. In the review of Nova 300, I perceived Amir to be underwhelmed by the value proprosition of the Nova 300. I don't know but I suspect Amir would consider a $699 Nova 150 a more acceptable value.

As I understand it, a Klipsch Forte is very efficient. I don't think you would need all output power of Nova 150 unless your listening space doubles as an airplane hangar.

Barrelhouse Solly

Hyper cheap, my desktop system. Requires phono preamp to complete specs. SMSL SU-1 DAC. Aiyima A07 amp. Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. Amp and DAC $70 each. Speakers $70 for the pair. The speakers are hard to find at that price. I bought them several years ago on deep discount at Fry's. Streamer, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with JustBoom transport and 5" touch display running LMS. Can't remember cost but under $100. DAC, amp, and speakers all got great reviews here. A Pi with a transport HAT is almost always a good source.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Looking for an ASR approved integrated amp or preamp + poweramp combo and DAC. Currently using a Denon PMA-900HNE. Let's say budget is $1800 or less. Maybe Schitt? Topping? Other?

Inputs:

Turntable with low output MC cartridge
CD player
TV (either optical or hdmi)
Blu-Ray (analog rca for SACD)
WiiM Mini via Optical
Don't dismiss a Yamaha integrated with DAC on board...

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Noting your budget maximum of $1,800.....

I perceive more clarity when I enable Dirac Live in my system. I would accept the lower measured performance of the Denon AVR-X3800H for the option of applying Dirac Live tailored to my listening space for all the inputs you are using. As I understand it, a multi-channel Dirac Live license for the Denon costs $349 and miniDSP sells their UMIK-1 calibrated microphone for $79. Currently Amazon USA is selling the Denon '3800' for about $1,297

OP
T

telemike

Schiit Ragnarok + Skoll phono and Modius DAC as well

jbattman1016

Noting your budget maximum of $1,800.....

I perceive more clarity when I enable Dirac Live in my system. I would accept the lower measured performance of the Denon AVR-X3800H for the option of applying Dirac Live tailored to my listening space for all the inputs you are using. As I understand it, a multi-channel Dirac Live license for the Denon costs $349 and miniDSP sells their UMIK-1 calibrated microphone for $79. Currently Amazon USA is selling the Denon '3800' for about $1,297

This is likely the easiest solution.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you also need a phono stage? Depending on how much you care about vinyl, I found the Schiit Mani 2 to be pretty good. But you can certainly spend more and get more.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Get a RME ADI-2 DAC and one of the NCx500 amps offered and you‘l be fine. Add rooExtend and you have a complete Roon compatible streaming system for low cost and high performance.

Top Bottom