• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I really need to buy a mic so I can get DIRAC to work on my Rz50 in my living room. Haven't really used room correction for probably a decade, back on my old Onkyo 605, 805, and Yamaha AX3000. Every time I tried to do it with my phone it never would complete, even when I had a quite house (no dog, kids or SO around to ruin the set-up).

With that being said, I did run Audyssey on my 3700 when I had it upstairs in the loft and... I did not like the results. I am sure I didn't run it 100% properly though, so I might give it another try on my 6700... no way I would pay extra for room correction software license tho. Maybe if I can run the set-up right it will open my eyes but I dunno.
You can use the provided puck mic plugged into the receiver as the mic for Dirac - the AVR acts as a mic-pre with built in calibration for the puck... Dirac on the PC connects to it over the network.

You don't need another mic.

DrStranger

Hello there's the DTS X PRO? because there is no longer the logo on the 6800H?
Nope, No DTS X Pro, not a single word in the manual what I could see. The website says 'yes' but I think its a typo, or they copy pasted from A1 and forgot that part.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, I'm sorry if it turns out that the section that I posted from the Denon website turns out to be inaccurate.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is a bit of an explanation of why I was so interested in the AVC-X6800H.

I had an AVC-X6700H that developed a fault and so was sent back for a warranty repair. As there were problems obtaining parts for the repair, the retailer decided to offer credit towards a new replacement. Initially I thought it might be worth waiting for the AVC-X6800H which was supposedly imminent. The main features that interested me were:

All HDMI ports 8k,
Pre-amp disconnection,
Possibility of Dirac,
4x Sub outs,
New gui,

In the end I have bought an AVC-X8500HA instead.

The single 8k input is all I need.

The AVC-X8500HA can already do pre-amp disconnection.

I'm generally happy with Audyssey and didn't plan to buy the Dirac license any time soon. (I had already bought the Audyssey MultEQ-X license and calibrated mic).

I already have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and don't mind twiddling with MSO.

The new gui was just for eye candy so doesn't really matter.

The other things that made me choose the AVC-X8500HA are:

I appreciate the more flagship type internal construction.

It has two extra channels of amplification and slightly more power. I will probably want to add surround back speakers soon.

I could buy it now and at a price that is likely lower than the AVC-X6800H will be when it is first released in the UK.

Apparently it may run a little cooler too.

Edit: Oh and it has better ESS dac's.

Last edited:

bigguyca

<pure_speculation>
I think AKM dacs would be highly unlikely (but would be happy to be proved wrong). It is slightly more possible that the 6800 might get ones similar to those in the 8500. But this is just dreaming - in all liklihood they will be the same as were in the 6700 (which were fine by the way).
</pure_speculation>

Denon X6800H DAC IC's

Based on looking at the DAC board, X6800H has two 8-channel voltage output DAC IC's. The AKM 8-channel DAC IC widely used by Denon/Marantz before the AKM fire, the AK4458, is, and has been for a while, available in large quantities. There are several electrolytic capacitors around each of the two DAC IC's which is exactly what would be expected for an AKM DAC IC's to filter the analog reference voltages into the AK4458. Before the fire, AKM introduced the similar AK4468 which had similar measurements to the AK4458, but more robust output. AKM does not list the AK4468 as current product on the AKM website.

Conclusion: DAC IC in the X6800H is the AKM AK4458.

The ten DAC IC's in the A1H are from ESS with a rated THD+N of 120dB which is close to the state of the art. For reference, the AKM DAC IC's before the AKM fire in the AV8805 and X8500H had a THD+N of 112dB. The two AKM DAC IC's likely used the X6800H have a THD+N of 107dB. From Mouser in significant quantities, 10 of the ESS DAC IC's cost $82.80, 2 of the X6800X AKM DAC IC's cost $8.66.

Tanquen

Denon X6800H DAC IC's

Based on looking at the DAC board, X6800H has two 8-channel voltage output DAC IC's. The AKM 8-channel DAC IC widely used by Denon/Marantz before the AKM fire, the AK4458, is, and has been for a while, available in large quantities. There are several electrolytic capacitors around each of the two DAC IC's which is exactly what would be expected for an AKM DAC IC's to filter the analog reference voltages into the AK4458. Before the fire, AKM introduced the similar AK4468 which had similar measurements to the AK4458, but more robust output. AKM does not list the AK4468 as current product on the AKM website.

The ten DAC IC's in the A1H are from ESS with a rated THD+N of 120dB which is close to the state of the art. For reference, the AKM DAC IC's before the AKM fire in the AV8805 and X8500H had a THD+N of 112dB. The two AKM DAC IC's likely used the X6800H have a THD+N of 107dB. From Mouser in significant quantities, 10 of the ESS DAC IC's cost $82.80, 2 of the X6800X AKM DAC IC's cost $8.66.
Will it sound worse than the older X6500H?

bigguyca

Will it sound worse than the older X6500H?

The ADM AK4458 DAC IC was used in the X6500H. The same DAC IC will likely (but not for sure) be used in the X6800H.

Denon began biasing the opamps for the L,C,R channels in the differential amplifiers for the DAC output stage into Class A to improve performance n the X6500H. Perhaps this is done for the same channels, no channels or all the channels in the X6800H. Class A biasing of the opamps should improve measured performance.

There is no way to know how the X6800H will "sound." That frankly is a naive question at best...

Magestic

That reminds me. I need to get a mini DSP UMIK-1 to use Dirac with the X6800H, correct? Should I get it from cross-spectrum?

Is there a recommended Microphone Stand to use with the DSP UMIK-1?
If you do decide on the UMIK-1, I got a Samson Mk10 for it which works great.

Magestic

The ADM AK4458 DAC IC was used in the X6500H. The same DAC IC will likely (but not for sure) be used in the X6800H.

Denon began biasing the opamps for the L,C,R channels in the differential amplifiers for the DAC output stage into Class A to improve performance n the X6500H. Perhaps this is done for the same channels, no channels or all the channels in the X6800H. Class A biasing of the opamps should improve measured performance.

There is no way to know how the X6800H will "sound." That frankly is a naive question at best...
I'm curious to see if Denon will take this step to move back from the TI DACs in the 4800 and 3800 tot the AKM DACs. Spec-wise there is not much difference as far as I can tell.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Denon X6800H DAC IC's

I figured.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I'm curious to see if Denon will take this step to move back from the TI DACs in the 4800 and 3800 tot the AKM DACs. Spec-wise there is not much difference as far as I can tell.
I will be selling my 3800 immediately if they plan on putting akm chips back k in these.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be selling my 3800 immediately if they plan on putting akm chips back k in these.
haha, bargain hunters would then line up for those soon to be available 3800,4800, 70,60,50 and 40s on places like Accessoriesforless, if bigguyca's info turns out to be true (he said likely but no for sure...) and your hope of D+M "moving back" from......to.......

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on looking at the DAC board, X6800H has two 8-channel voltage output DAC IC's. The AKM 8-channel DAC IC widely used by Denon/Marantz before the AKM fire, the AK4458, is, and has been for a while, available in large quantities. There are several electrolytic capacitors around each of the two DAC IC's which is exactly what would be expected for an AKM DAC IC's to filter the analog reference voltages into the AK4458.

Thank you very much for the interesting information. Would you kindly post a link to that DAC board of the X6800H please? I know you are not sure if it would be AK4458, but it is still good to see the look of the two 8 channel DAC ICs. We do know for sure if they are 8-channel ICs then at least they won't be the PCM5102A. I just hope it won't be the PCM1690 that is also 8-channel, and I remember reading it from one source that said it would be the 1690, but unfortunately I can't remember where I read it from. If it is the 1690 then it really isn't better than the 5102A, so hopefully it is the AK4458, then at least we would have one reason to anticipate near 100 dB SINAD again; and people who cares about numbers will be happy.:D

Miker 1102

Forum Donor

It is a naive question but one that I understand why somebody asks.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I asked a guy who worked at a major audio outlet in a chat and he said that the dac for the 6800 was the AKM dac.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked a guy who worked at a major audio outlet in a chat and he said that the dac for the 6800 was the AKM dac.
Learnt from last time, I wouldn't even trust Denon customer support, let alone a dealer or an audio outlet. It needs to come from Masimo's higher up, such as a product manager like Oliver Kriete, or wait till someone take one apart for photo ID. Until then, we are going to hear different things that are based on people's guesses/speculations/hearsay.

The newest product, launch a little before the X6800H, the DRA-900H has the PCM1690 (this is official, will post a block diagram later if I can find it), so that could be a possibility too, as the DRA-800H and NR1200 uses the AK4458 too before the switch to TI's PCM1690 dac chip. The PCM1690 was also used before they switched to the AKM chips. That's just an example of many possibilities, not even an eduated guess.

If it is the AK4458, a lot of people will be happy, but if it is, you would think that Masimo would have been broadcasting it like the did last time when they switched from the PCM1690, so I do have a little doubt, though still hopeful.

Found the DAC info for the DRA-900H that was launched just a little ahead of (or behind) the X6800H iirc:

Note that both the PCM1960 (has 48 pins) and the AK4458 (has 48 pins) are 8 channel DAC ICs, and both have been used in previous generation Denon and Marantz AVRs, obviously.

I only mention the DRA-900H because it's predecessor used the AK4458 as well before, before the shortage, and then the PCM5102A during the shortage, so there may be a trend going on with this.

Keep in mind most people probably don't believe there will be audible difference between those DAC chips, though the AK4458 will definitely help with higher SINAD numbers on the bench as it simply has much better SINAD spec by itself so it won't become the bottleneck in the signal path.

1705946078113.png

Last edited:

middlemarch

Forum Donor

Descartes

Major Contributor
They did not mention that. :(
"You're very welcome!
You can get a full refund within 30 days from the purchase date.
Kind regards, and have a nice weekend!"
Yep Dirac is not going to give anyone a refund after you use the software!

Top Bottom