• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

deleted

OP
D
There may be somebody counterfeiting them in China, it happens a lot, but the real ones are made in Germany. It is very unlikely the counterfeit ones sound any good since any manufacturing effort will have gone into making them look real and probably none on sounding real...
deleted

Last edited:

Loonabae

Don't take everything you read in forums too seriously.

True, forums are horrid for "experts". A sub i lurk is having a war over beyerdynamic/Grado treble being wrong with no clue how subjective FR tastes work and not everyone is botherd by bright gear. I still remember there getting told by a few nobodies why Etymotics 2.8k bump is wrong with no clue what they were talking about.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think the website list is not up to date it seems, also misses the HD800S and HD820 and some newer models.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From his perspective, the m50x is not suitable for monitoring, and “nothing, even if Thanos himself are using it, can change the fact that m50x is a piece of garbage”.
Headphones are pretty subjective. I have four different brands, and they all sound different. FWIW, I have the AT M40x and use it with my Fender amp for practicing in 'silence'. It is OK for that. It was not very expensive. I would imagine the 50x is even better. I mean, it is 10 more. Right?

OP
D
Headphones are pretty subjective. I have four different brands, and they all sound different. FWIW, I have the AT M40x and use it with my Fender amp for practicing in 'silence'. It is OK for that. It was not very expensive. I would imagine the 50x is even better. I mean, it is 10 more. Right?
deleted

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
How can we be sure the Chinese didn't build a replica Hannover and a replica factory and staff it with some replica Germans and then make a video with some replica Americans and...

It's Philip K. Dick's world, we just "live" in it.

dick-1.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, man...Maybe he said that because he was comparing m50x with 7506 and srh840.
Often, when people say that so and so is garbage, or that A blows away B, they are either imagining things, or taking the item away from its intended context. No one in the market for a Stax headphone is going to confuse it with an AT m-50x. But if you need something you can throw in a bag and haul around to gigs, drop on the floor and maybe kick across the stage by accident, all for a hundred dollars, then I can guarantee you that the AT will blow away the Stax. I don't know about Shure or Sony. I imagine they would be OK too, maybe better than the AT on an absolute scale. But for a hundred dollars, how absolute can you be?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite being a headphone enthusiast some of the opinions on the subject amuse me as differences tend to be much smaller than on line fan boy opinions might indicate. Most headphones above the really really low end models are perfectly listenable and as often as not it is about preference rather than good or bad.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Often, when people say that so and so is garbage, or that A blows away B, they are either imagining things, or taking the item away from its intended context. No one in the market for a Stax headphone is going to confuse it with an AT m-50x. But if you need something you can throw in a bag and haul around to gigs, drop on the floor and maybe kick across the stage by accident, all for a hundred dollars, then I can guarantee you that the AT will blow away the Stax. I don't know about Shure or Sony. I imagine they would be OK too, maybe better than the AT on an absolute scale. But for a hundred dollars, how absolute can you be?
The Sony V-6/MDR 7506 is overall better for kicking across the stage, also a bit more comfortable than the AT 'phones. Haven't spent a lot of time with the Audio Technica 'phones, just demo-ed them at Guitar Center, enough to know they had a "V" shaped eq and weren't as comfortable as the Sonys. There's eq bumps in the Sonys that highlight the usual noise sources in live production, hum and buzz. There's an additional bump in the 7506 that highlights the presence region. My AKG 167s have a similar bump. Makes focusing on dialog easier, useful for video production.

There's a reason one sees so many Sony V-6 & MDR 7506 headphones in photos of audio/video production. Good tools, light, comfortable, nearly indestructible and cheap.

The headphones I spent the most time listening to were Stax, FWIW.

Top Bottom