• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decision paralysis: Topping D50 or KHADAS TONE BOARD

cnrd

Hi

So I was planning on getting a DAC for my desktop and was originally looking at the Schiit Modi 3, but as always when you start search on the internet, you end up with too many options.

I came to the conclusion that Topping D50 or KHADAS TONE BOARD would be the DAC to get, but I'm unsure which to pick up.

I feel that Topping D50 is the easier option, as it is already "complete" and have all the inputs one could require.

However the KHADAS TONE BOARD seems to be better bang for the buck, I would however need to create a case somehow and it would be impossible to electrically separate it as there is no optical port (Not really sure if this is a negative?). Adding a case would also increase the price.

I'm located in Europe, so pricing looks like this:
Topping D50: 265€
KHADAS TONE BOARD: 118,60€ + whatever for a case

Would you recommend any of these two or is there something else I should get in that price range?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve seen the tone board for significantly less than that in Europe. Not sure where exactly, but google a bit more and you should be able to knock quite a bit off that 118€.

In terms of sound quality, I strongly doubt there will be any audible difference whatsoever :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I strongly doubt whether you need a DAC at all. I find that the headphone output from my laptop and my tablets is quite good enough that I've never felt the need for an external device.

I measured what my laptop and tablets do, and in both cases they are under any objective criteria, transparent, so what need for an external device?

S.

Veri

Master Contributor
I strongly doubt whether you need a DAC at all. I find that the headphone output from my laptop and my tablets is quite good enough that I've never felt the need for an external device.

I measured what my laptop and tablets do, and in both cases they are under any objective criteria, transparent, so what need for an external device?

S.
Measurebating :D

Graph Feppar

Check out Pro Ject Pre Box S2, its 349€ ampDac made in Austria. Also Fiio just released K3 for 99€.

Between the two chi-fi giant killers, I would go with Topping for three reasons : 1 - there are importers in EU so you can get proper warranty. 2 - No need to make your own case. 3 - It have optical input, that means true galvanic isolation, no ground loops.

SiW

Would the Topping D10 cover what you need?

Cheaper but still very good and looks great.

Jimmy

In Europe the khadas tone board is sold by Audiophonics, it will cost a bit more than buying it directly from China mostly because of VAT and shipping costs.

Most of the time the only way to have good warranty is to buy from local/national sellers, for very cheap products shipping costs make warranties almost useless when buying from other countries, f.e. shipping from China to the rest of the world is cheap but not the opposite.

Check out Pro Ject Pre Box S2, its 349€ ampDac made in Austria. Also Fiio just released K3 for 99€.

Between the two chi-fi giant killers, I would go with Topping for three reasons : 1 - there are importers in EU so you can get proper warranty. 2 - No need to make your own case. 3 - It have optical input, that means true galvanic isolation, no ground loops.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@cnrd by the way, Schiit Modi 3 is a complete encased unit in the same league as those two DACs for just over 100€ from audiophonics.fr that would be worth considering IMHO.

OP
C

cnrd

@andreasmaaan thanks, I was originally looking at the Modi 3, but it's not in stock anywhere in Europe as far as I can find (they don't seem to have it on audiophonics.fr). I would consider the Modi if it was in stock anywhere.

It seems that the consensus here is to pick up the Topping D50?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Where possible, I always like to have a display on the DAC...

Funny isn't it? I'm the opposite, I turn off all my displays- big power meters on amps, displays on CD/DACs when I'm listening as I don't like the distraction of numbers ticking away or big meters swinging.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
for PC it's a different story, I can clearly hear "shh"-like noise on high volume from my PC's headphone output.
But ye, from tablets and phones the noise was non-issue. Power was. Anemic, unless you use something like LG G7, V10-V40, ZTE Axon 7, or in my case international (Exynos) Galaxy S7 edge.

I strongly doubt whether you need a DAC at all. .

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With Khadas and Modi 3 I cannot justify myself paying 20-250 for DAC. Besides, D50 is big. And being big still has no headphone amp. Inconceivable! "I don't think he knows what the word means!" (c) Princess Bride.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@andreasmaaan thanks, I was originally looking at the Modi 3, but it's not in stock anywhere in Europe as far as I can find (they don't seem to have it on audiophonics.fr). I would consider the Modi if it was in stock anywhere.

It seems that the consensus here is to pick up the Topping D50?

Hmm I’m sorry if I was mistaken about audiophonics. May have confused their lines.. @Wombat’s advice to check with Schiit EU is good though :)

Top Bottom