• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

Angel II

I received the DBX1231 today. I put it to the test with Sony MDR-1AM2 (16 ohm) and V200 closed-back headphones, and it's unbelievable how quiet this equalizer is (it feels like I don't have it).
I have a slight movement in the 220/230V plug (see attachment), have you noticed it too?

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 27

The Guy who cares

I received the DBX1231 today. I put it to the test with Sony MDR-1AM2 (16 ohm) and V200 closed-back headphones, and it's unbelievable how quiet this equalizer is (it feels like I don't have it).
I have a slight movement in the 220/230V plug (see attachment), have you noticed it too?
The Equalizer is very quiet, it should be as DBX is actually made by Harma Karden.

Angel II

With the 230V cable inserted, move it up and down. You don't have to disassemble the equalizer.

Angel II

If anyone can verify this movement of the 230V socket, it would do me a great favor.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
If anyone can verify this movement of the 230V plug, it would do me a great favor.
Yes, the fit is a but loose/wobbly.
I would not worry as it feels tight enough for safety.
You could wrap the plug in a couple winds of electrical to get a tight fit or try a different manufacturers cord.

Angel II

Yes, the fit is a but loose/wobbly.
You could wrap the plug in a couple winds of electrical to get a tight fit or try a different manufacturers cord.
Thank you, sorry I wrote it wrong above (I corrected it).
Check the electrical outlet. In my DBX 1231 with the plug inserted I see the socket moving (see photo above).

The Guy who cares

Well the frequencies to turn up for Classic Rock on the DBX Equalizer is 63hz and 50hz to give the pick drum a click and it also helps with the bass guitar. Leave 80hz and 100hz flat. For movies keep 63hz and 50hz flat but increase 40hz slightly, 31hz a little higher and 30hz.
The Equalizer is excellent except for it doesn't have leds on the sliders.

Last edited:

Angel II

1Yes, the fit is a but loose/wobbly.
I sent the video of the electrical socket to thomann, they replied that their DBX 1231 also have the same movement of the socket, so there are no problems and the doubt has been resolved.
Thanks.

stoo23

There is a break in period for this equalizer as with most anolog audio equipment.
Really ??? and who on earth told you that ??? .... if that's a fact,... cough ahem,... How Long is this 'supposed' Break-In period and How / When will you (or Anyone for that matter) actually tell When it is 'sufficiently' Broken-In ??? Or will you be making Serious and Rigorous testing to Prove / Ascertain it's 'Suitably' Broken state ??,.. ;):)

Also Why 'specifically' ONLY Analogue ??? Digital equipment still uses electronic 'components' that would (in the Strange World of 'Break-In' ), Also require the Same ... Yes ?? :)

Last edited:

stoo23

Have you tride actually equalizing actually Vynal with the Equalizer
Pardon my 'Ignorance',... LOL ... but Why would you think applying EQ to 'Vinyl' would be ANY different to Any other Audio Source ??

stoo23

Adding Bass to the kick drums and bass guitars.
Yeah, ok, as one can do on Any Source material. Are you in fact actually suggesting that Those 'aspects' of Music on Vinyl is Lacking ??
Perhaps you have become far too used to listening to the 'Loudness War' style of Re-Mastered CD's ;):)

If What you are really suggesting is that the Dynamic Range of vinyl is Lacking, perhaps you Really need a Compressor/Limiter with some Multi-band EQ built-In :)
Perhaps try "The God Particle",.. seems to be All the rage lately ,... LOL

stoo23

This is another DBX 131 equalizer I am thinking to add for my Centre Channel, its a Mono equalizer. Any thoughts
Well firstly and obviously, I think maybe that is Not the unit you are thinking of, as it is a 2 channel or Stereo unit, Not Mono.
Compared to the other unit, it is Only 15 band BUT the other thing is it is only 1RU high, which means far lower 'resolution' (physically) of the Band adjustments, making it a bit more 'fiddly' to adjust and perhaps (compared to the 2RU unit), less Precise.

Last edited:

Angel II

Have you tride actually equalizing actually Vynal with the Equalizer? I don't have a turntable or any Records these days; I used too have Vynal in the 1980s. However I am interested to try a Turntable in the feature and would love to know.
I don't listen on vinyl. I use the DBX 1231 equalizer with the schiit DAC and Atoll amplifier. Before purchasing the DBX I used Schiit Loki. The DBX 1231 is a great help on poorly recorded braids or when our environment causes a certain instrument to sound bad. I have always used digital equalizers for listening in headphones.. the DBX works perfectly with my Violectric V200 and does not introduce noise, does not reduce the soundstage and separates musical instruments well.

Top Bottom