• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I'm not going to return to argue my point. When I used DSPs I figured out just how awful they sound and I didn't even bother trying to use them for anything since i knew they would never remain connected. If anyone using a DSP cannot hear the degrading of the sound then their system isn't quite up to par yet, if you think your system sounds better using a DSP, then I would suggest looking into some new speakers first or repairing what you have, it you still can't hear the change, I'd consider a new amp or repairing the one you have with fresh caps.

Most users aren't going to hear the DSP stripping away the tiniest transients since their equipment and/or speakers are unable to deliver that resolution. DSP makers are counting on that, really aiming for the AV community since it's been part of that group for decades now. Not a whole lot of acceptance with home preamps or high end 2 channel receivers, that should speak volumes. Keep in mind that I'm not concerned with what a DSP will add (noise or anything isn't my concern so testing them makes no difference) it's what they take away, they may be silent and pass all tests wonderfully, we all know that tests can't show you the way things actually sound at the speakers.
Is this Danny Richie?

I don't even know what else to say.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Most users aren't going to hear the DSP stripping away the tiniest transients since their equipment and/or speakers are unable to deliver that resolution.
Oh here we go... the ol' "your system is not resolving enough" card.
we all know that tests can't show you the way things actually sound at the speakers
Do we though? :facepalm:

2dmk14.jpg

JSmith

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
...thanks for posting...this is a novel concept for me...I am looking for simple...that program looks like what I had in mind...

...I don't mind paying for a program (once) but freeware is OK too...

...I guess my biggest concern is that the software is safe...I have gotten paranoid aboot downloading stuff, especially "free" stuff...

...another is that I am just not smart enough to use the program...I just wanted an equalizer, not a "project"...

...I am pretty sure I can figger how to use the DBX 1231 or 1215...
PEQ is a project.
I use it and absolutely advocate you try it, though it is a project and it requires moving along a learning curve and acquired skill to fully realize.
Plus some pretty diverse and even divergent views on how to best implement it.

PEQ is much more powerful and simultaneously more complex vs a physical graphic eq, (note there are free software 31bad graphic eqs as well)

I picked up a clean used dbx for a '3rd' retro goof off system, looking forward to it. My daily driver is the MiniDSP Flex 8 & I love it. I have used a variety of MiniDSP products. All great.

Enjoy whatever path you end up going down.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the dbx 1231 stereo balanced Graphic Equalizer. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $499.
View attachment 219631

Isn't this an attractive box or what? Makes you want to sit there and just play with all those sliders! Careful though as setting them all back to zero is very time consuming. Fortunately there is a bypass button. Connectivity is extensive in the back:
View attachment 219632
You can even use bare wire if you want!

Note: Harman owns dbx. Our company, Madrona Digital, buys some of their product lines but not these. Still, feel free to read any bias in my subjective remarks.

dbx 1231 Measurements
Let's start with EQ bypassed and input/output of 4 volts:
View attachment 219633

Distortion is at -105 dB which is very good for the class. Don't like the power supply noise but they are at -118 dB so we can ignore them. Turning on the EQ but keeping all the sliders at 0 shows the penalty of the full pipeline:
View attachment 219634

We are right at noise floor of 16 bit audio so not bad still. Here is our signal to noise ratio which is impacted the most:

View attachment 219635

Frequency response is flat in audible band with EQ bypassed:
View attachment 219636

It is hard to get rid of the channel mismatch due to notches in the gain control with the pot itself being fully variable. Repeatability is hard as well for the same reason.

I was pleased to see it handle up to 9 volts input before clipping:
View attachment 219637

IMD distortion is respectable with EQ bypassed and not too bad with it active:
View attachment 219638

Crosstalk is excellent either way: (better than most amplifiers)
View attachment 219639

I was disappointed to see a rise in distortion at low frequencies:
View attachment 219640

Conclusions
Good to see the word "professional" has a meaning here in delivering a low distortion and noise graphic EQ. My memories of consumer units was that they were hiss factories. Not so here. This is a quality piece with reasonable price to match it for analog lovers.

Note that in general, graphic equalizers are poor at dealing with room modes or speaker correction. You need parametric EQ for that. The dbx 1231 has a lot of bands so you may be able to get close with it but still not an optimal tool.

I am going to recommend dbx 1231 graphic eq if you need such a device.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Wondering if you adjust your measurements for professional level, ie +4dbm nominal signal instead of the consumer level -10dbu? Pro level signal is around 10db hotter. Which should increase the S/N ratio 10db.

G|force

Forum Donor
I've always referred to +4dbu and -10dbv for pro balanced analog and unbalanced consumer analog. I believe these are the correct descriptors.

The Guy who cares

I just bought a DBX 1231 Equalizer and it's a beautiful looking unit, well built except it doesn't have 4 feet on the bottom as it's designed for rack mount. However I placed padding underneath. I am using the Equalizer for home use. I needed it to add bass to classic rock music. The 2023 version works flawlessly, the is no hiss, no hum at all. Some said the unit has mechanical hum, not the new version, Dead Quiet. My only issue is the sliders have no led lights.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I just bought a DBX 1231 Equalizer and it's a beautiful looking unit, well built except it doesn't have 4 feet on the bottom as it's designed for rack mount. However I placed padding underneath. I am using the Equalizer for home use. I needed it to add bass to classic rock music. The 2023 version works flawlessly, the is no hiss, no hum at all. Some said the unit has mechanical hum, not the new version, Dead Quiet. My only issue is the sliders have no led lights.
What is your setup?

The Guy who cares

Rotel and Sony. I bought the Equalizer to help with the Bass with Classic Rock. The Equalizer doese a better job than the basic bass control.

Angel II

I would like to purchase the DBX 1231 to insert it between Atoll IN80-S and schiit modi multibit. This equalizer is not designed to connect RCA cables, can I use four of these RCA/Jack 6.3 mono connectors? Does the DBX 1231 with this unbalanced connection work well?

Attachments

• 5116ZTYI6uS._AC_SX569_.jpg
    5116ZTYI6uS._AC_SX569_.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 22

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh here we go... the ol' "your system is not resolving enough" card.

Do we though? :facepalm:

2dmk14.jpg

JSmith
Here, you'll need this too:

Old Man Yells at Cloud.jpeg

The Guy who cares

I would like to purchase the DBX 1231 to insert it between Atoll IN80-S and schiit modi multibit. This equalizer is not designed to connect RCA cables, can I use four of these RCA/Jack 6.3 mono connectors? Does the DBX 1231 with this unbalanced connection work well?
You can use a XLR Cables with a RCA on one end XLR on the other. I done this and it works fine.

The Guy who cares

Well the DBX 1231 works well it even makes SiriusXM radio sound good with Ch 26 Classic Vinyl, Classic Rock. Nice to hear mixed artists on actual Vinyl at least the sound is consistent unlike digital that's all over the place.

The Guy who cares

Well the DBX 1231 works well it even makes SiriusXM radio sound good with Ch 26 Classic Vinyl, Classic Rock. Nice to hear mixed artists on actual Vinyl at least the sound is consistent unlike digital that's all over the place.
If any issues with SiriusXM radio I do wish the come up with lossless sound quality for home sound systems. For automotive sound systems to save on peoples data it's fine. But for home audio to pay a little extra for cd sound would be nice. That said SIRIUSXM sound isn't terrible it's fine but could be improved.

Top Bottom