• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs with multiple pairs of balanced outputs?

chriskilbourn

I'm looking to get a DAC that I can feed to my speakers and a few different headphone amplifiers.
Are there any other DACs on the market in addition to the Okto DAC8 that does this?

Alternatively, is there a recommended high-quality balanced output switch that I pair with a standard DAC that wouldn't introduce additional noise in the signal chain?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note the DAC has independent channels so might not do what you want (I assume taking the same stereo signal to several components). Your most likely solution is an XLR switch. It should not add noise, but is not a terribly common device. Amazon and Sweetwater Sound listed a few last I checked from 1x2 to 4x8. Or if the input impedance is high enough you could just split the signal passively to feed all the other components at once.

HTH - Don

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There are many multi-output DACs in the pro market, which may or may not have the inputs you need. Look at the MOTU 8A or a broad equivalent from other reliable manufacturers like RME, Focusrite etc. Sweetwater's site has filters for number and type of inputs and outputs so you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There are many multi-output DACs in the pro market, which may or may not have the inputs you need. Look at the MOTU 8A or a broad equivalent from other reliable manufacturers like RME, Focusrite etc. Sweetwater's site has filters for number and type of inputs and outputs so you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

Yes, a pro DAC with mixing capability would be the usual answer, but I assumed he wanted to keep his DAC and just add an output switch. Then I read it again and he is looking for DAC, duh. :facepalm: Long week...

OP
chriskilbourn

chriskilbourn

Yes, a pro DAC with mixing capability would be the usual answer, but I assumed he wanted to keep his DAC and just add an output switch. Then I read it again and he is looking for DAC, duh. :facepalm: Long week...
Well, I'm totally open to using both! So, either way works. My concern was just that if there would be added noise/loss of signal quality using an XLR splitter.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking to get a DAC that I can feed to my speakers and a few different headphone amplifiers.
Are there any other DACs on the market in addition to the Okto DAC8 that does this?

Alternatively, is there a recommended high-quality balanced output switch that I pair with a standard DAC that wouldn't introduce additional noise in the signal chain?
As already told DACs with multiple XLR outputs are actually independent channels, so to feed them all may be difficult.

I could not find an XLR switch but I did find a reasonable priced XLR splitter Klark Teknik DS 50 (1in / 5 out, you will need two) which you can use provided the DAC's output impedance is low enough to feed all your headphone amps in parallel. As a rule the output impedance should be 10 times lower than the paralleled input impedances. When you shop a DAC in the pro range (Motu, RME, ...) this is usually given, but be safe and study the manual before buying.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre has 4 channel monitor output. It can be configured as a four channel dac or as a stereo output with two separate balanced outputs for each channel.
It uses a FPGA for the routing. It is also available with either USB or Thunderbolt connectivity.
The four channel output and TB is why I purchased a couple.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
As already told DACs with multiple XLR outputs are actually independent channels, so to feed them all may be difficult.
Not really. If I wanted to, I could tell JRiver to duplicate the L/R stereo channels on outputs 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 in addition to 1-2. But I don't. :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This depends on whether you need to control each output.
If you just want to have the signal without control, just use splitter.
If you need to control, like mute, control volume independently, get a multi channel audio interface from focusrite, motu, apogee etc.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
As @DonH56 mentioned, many (most?) of the pro devices have an internal mixer matrix, so the signal from a stereo pair of inputs can be sent to all of the outputs, with individual control over the output volumes. How this is controlled varies by manufacturer and model, so some research may be needed to find which one fits individual requirements.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This depends on whether you need to control each output.
Nope. Once you copy the L/R to the other channels, each and every one can be manipulated and controlled individually.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. If I wanted to, I could tell JRiver to duplicate the L/R stereo channels on outputs 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 in addition to 1-2. But I don't. :)
Yeah, some use that capability to do a custom 5.1 to 2 ch mix, usually with a boosted center channel.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Once you copy the L/R to the other channels, each and every one can be manipulated and controlled individually.
what do you mean
Have you used JRiver?
1. Copy the L/R stereo channels (1-2) to output channels 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8.
2. Access the various functions (level, delay, EQ, HP/LP filters and other DSP operations) on a per channel basis.
Done.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Have you used JRiver?
1. Copy the L/R stereo channels (1-2) to output channels 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8.
2. Access the various functions (level, delay, EQ, HP/LP filters and other DSP operations) on a per channel basis.
Done.
So how do you copy signal and without degradation.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Are you asking in general terms, or specifically about the details of configuring jRiver to do it?
Because Im really confused.
The op was asking for a solution of multiple outputs. I was answering that if no control is needed, splitter should work just fine. If control is needed, a multichannel audio interface is a good option.
Kal was really confusing me. Either he was talking about use the single stereo channel output, and use some other active control unit/or passive to control mute, volume and panning etc, Or he was talking about multichannel output dac. Multichannel audio interface is a much more occupied market than just multichannel dac. Focurite motu offer cheap good quality conversion interfaces for not a lot of money. And they all have their own control interface. Very convenient. If he wants to use software solution for copying multiple channel he needs multiple channel output dac in the first place that isn't answering the question nor has anything to do with my original answer.
Anyway. I have an exam on Monday I'm off.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Because Im really confused.
Thanks, much clearer now. I assumed Kal was offering a solution to Don's comment about potential problems sending a stereo signal to a DAC with independent outputs, which I took to be a reference to the DAC8. I could be wrong about both. Chris hasn't mentioned what the source will be, so it may or may not be applicable.

From a linux perspective the interface manufacturers often don't provide the control interface, or documentation for its protocol, so workarounds like copying channels may be necessary. There are many reasonable ways to do that too.

Top Bottom