• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs and output voltage

Soulone

Hi.

Wasn't sure to post this question in the newbie section or in here. I'm out for a new DAC and I have some doubts. In the chain, the unit is placed between a SHD Studio and a Purifi EVAL1 amp. From what I understand, reading here and there, is that I better choose a DAC with a high output voltage.....I had the D70s in mind ( 5v over XLR ) but I'm not sure now if I should maybe look at other models with even higher values....

Is this parameter ( output voltage ) impacting the sound quality somehow or it's just allowing the Purifi to be "louder" ?

Thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir's review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

There is an extra gain stage where you only need 1.5 volts for max output or without it you need a bit more than 11 volts.

If you want to go without the extra gain stage something like the RME DAC with adjustable output voltage would do a really nice job. It can put out something over 7 volts with its max SINAD being around 7 volts. How much would you gain vs the 5 volts of the D70s? In terms of SINAD not a big difference. The main difference would be in terms of max output power it would be the difference between something like 100 watts and 200 watts.

I might go with the extra gain stage and use a normal lower voltage good DAC, and you'll turn down the volume some. For quieter sources you'll have a bit more voltage to raise those quiet sources up to a good listening level. You'll always have the max 250 watts or so available with this arrangement.
The cost of the extra gain stage is only 4 db in SINAD pretty much due to noise. As the noise is pretty low either way the loss of 4 db in return for easily getting full power looks like a good trade off. Distortion is so vanishingly low in either case not to be a concern.

OP
S

Soulone

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'd think the extra gain stage is enabled by default in the Purifi. I currently have a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC ( 4.4V ) connected to it and it's loud enough. By the way, I'm using the SHD studio to control the volume. Even if the DAC has a "Pre-amp mode", using "DAC mode" is recommended, right ?

Thanks.

Top Bottom