• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC XLR output voltage.. how much can I run?

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Just picked up an SMSL M500 V2 and have it hooked up to my SMSL DA-8S integrated amp via XLR. I set the volume on the M500 to 34 (out of 40) based on the review of the M500 V1 by @amirm here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/ to presumably achieve the measured ~4.3v output. The thing is it's noticeably quieter than my Modi 3 to the same amp via RCA.

Should there be any issues with me cranking the M500 all the way to 40 (max)? Amir's review states the M500 V1 measured 6.8v out of XLR at max volume. How do I go about determining the ideal output volume/voltage for my DAC/amp combo? Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• SMSL M500 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Cold Audio Measurements.png
    SMSL M500 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Cold Audio Measurements.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just picked up an SMSL M500 V2 and have it hooked up to my SMSL DA-8S integrated amp via XLR. I set the volume on the M500 to 34 (out of 40) based on the review of the M500 V1 by @amirm here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/ to presumably achieve the measured ~4.3v output. The thing is it's noticeably quieter than my Modi 3 to the same amp via RCA.

Should there be any issues with me cranking the M500 all the way to 40 (max)? Amir's review states the M500 V1 measured 6.8v out of XLR at max volume. How do I go about determining the ideal output volume/voltage for my DAC/amp combo? Thanks for your help :)

Id start with DAC on full, amp to loudest usual listening level. If you hear clipping, turn DAC down, I doubt you will. I like to start a listening session on around 34 then nudge the volume on DAC up during the session via remote so I dont have to leave my seat.

Nobody ever come up with a sensible suggestion why Modi RCA should be louder?

Just out of interest, whats your full chain- what do you feed the M500 with and the Modi with? 2 USB from same PC? Different sources?

Last edited:
OP
OP1M.DR3M

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Id start with DAC on full, amp to loudest usual listening level. If you hear clipping, turn DAC down, I doubt you will. I like to start a listening session on around 34 then nudge the volume on DAC up during the session via remote so I dont have to leave my seat.

Just out of interest, whats your full chain- what do you feed the M500 with and the Modi with? 2 USB from same PC? Different sources?

Both USB from same Macbook Pro playing Tidal (exclusive mode, volume normalization off)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just make sure you aren't clipping your amp's input. It should have a sensitivity spec.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@SIY (as a person what knows things) whilst you are about, have a look at the OP conundrum if you wouldnt mind please. Specifically why the Modi (2v RCA output- per specs and Amirs review) should be louder than the SMSL M500 to the same amp by XLR (regardless of version number- is 4v or above at max ) - both fed from USB from same Mac. Short of one DAC having a fault or the M500 having a sly volume limiting setting I cant figure it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just make sure you aren't clipping your amp's input. It should have a sensitivity spec.

Any thoughts on the reason why the Modi RCA (2v max i believe ) should be louder into same amp than M500 via XLR ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY (as a person what knows things) whilst you are about, have a look at the OP conundrum if you wouldnt mind please. Specifically why the Modi (2v RCA output- per specs and Amirs review) should be louder than the SMSL M500 to the same amp by XLR (regardless of version number- is 4v or above at max ) - both fed from USB from same Mac. Short of one DAC having a fault or the M500 having a sly volume limiting setting I cant figure it.
Or the balanced input having a different sensitivity.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
SMSL's manual is pretty scant.

@SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu Do you have any data on input sensitivity for single-ended vs. balanced for the DA-8S?

Also, is there intersample over headroom built-in for the M500?

OP
OP1M.DR3M

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor

I assume clipping sounds like cutting out/distortion? Any danger of damaging anything this way?

OP
OP1M.DR3M

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor

It's not a HUGE difference but very noticeable. With the Modi 3 my amp is at 38 volume and with the M500 via XLR my amp is at 41 volume.. both to achieve exactly 75.9db measured by an android decibel meter app while playing youtube pink noise

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a HUGE difference but very noticeable. With the Modi 3 my amp is at 38 volume and with the M500 via XLR my amp is at 41 volume.. both to achieve exactly 75.9db measured by an android decibel meter app while playing youtube pink noise
Most definitely the wrong way round to conventional thinking. Definitely worthy of investigation. Got a headphone amp or borrow an amp from someone?

OP
OP1M.DR3M

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Most definitely the wrong way round to conventional thinking. Definitely worthy of investigation. Got a headphone amp or borrow an amp from someone?

Not at the moment.. what's the cheapest headphone amp with xlr? Smsl SH-8?

Top Bottom