• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/preamp hunting for Class D power amp.

Starting to look at for a new dac/preamp combo that will feed into my class D power amp. A good remote is essential.

Shortlist so far is the
RME ADI-2
Topping E30
Topping DX7 pro
SMSL M400

Schiit Modi 3 (and continue using the pre on my integrated amp)

Which would you pick as a good match for class D ?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There are quite a few differences in the features between those.

Do you want balanced output? Many class D amps have balanced input, so it could be useful, in which case that rules out the Topping E30.

Do you want a headphone output, if you do, that rules out the SMSL M400.

Do you want bluetooth connectivity, if you do, that rules out the RME ADI-2.

I have an RME ADI-2 with Hypex class D power amps and I'm really happy with it. The headphone amp is great too.

OP
M
Thanks for the reply's
I don't need a balanced output.
Don't need headphone out.
Bluetooth would be nice as the ability to use the dac as preamp. (but not essential)

I guess my main priority would be sound first.
My thinking is Class D can be a tiny bit lean sounding.
I'm looking for something with touch more weight in the mids. and i don't want anything with the treble rolled off. I'm thinking the shiit might give me this ?

Testing a SMSL M100 at the moment and love the detail & treble on it but miss the meaty mids i get with a tube dac.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
If you read some of the reviews of the better performing DACs listed here in tier 1: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/ it's probably fair to say that these perform so well and are essentially so completely transparent that you'd struggle to hear much if any difference between them. So you can can choose according to your budget and the features you want.

Similarly, the best performing power amps, are effectively transparent and the differences between them probably inaudible; see the Power Amplifier tab on the chart above.

Where large variations still exist is in poorly designed and implemented DACs and amps and of course speakers.

The frequency response and distortion of varios speakers varies significantly, then of course each of them will sound very different in different rooms and diffrent locations within those rooms.

I'd say forget about different amps an DACs to "tune" your sound and look at the speakers and perhaps digital EQ and room correction.

Colonel Bogey

I'd say forget about different amps an DACs to "tune" your sound and look at the speakers and perhaps digital EQ and room correction.

Agree. As discussed in other threads, the DAC/preamp/amp problem is virtually solved and well engineered modern equipment is preactically indistinguishable, not to speak of cables.
I happened to choose a DX7 Pro based on feature set and availability only. I expect both the DAC and the preamp to be fully transparent, as I expect the D-class power amp (Purifi 1ET400-based) to be when it arrives.
BTW, I always use balanced connetors when available, if only for the solid XLR feel and reasonable price of cables.

Last edited:
OP
M
Thanks for that list, its very helpful to go through it.

Are the Preamps any good on many budget dacs like the E30 ? Some reviewers seem to imply their performance is not so good.

Last edited:

jendra

I am currently using a Topping D50s feeding a tube preamp to an integrated amp. However I have tried feeding the D50s directly to a Behringer A800 and they sound pretty good.

OP
M
Managed to hear in person on my friends system a Schiit multibit compared with an E30 and my own SMSL M100.

Different strokes for different folks i guess as i far preferred the sound of the Schiit Dac (although it measures less than the others).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It's not a DAC's job to have a sound, per se. Besides, comparing DACs by ear requires very precise level matching (to <0.3 dB, ideally about 0.1 dB) for valid results. Properly conducting listening tests is not trivial.

What sort of Class D amp are you looking at? You will have to look closely at the kinds of connections provided in combination with the power supply configuration in order to avoid running into trouble with ground loops. I would generally prefer balanced interconnects.

OP
M
It's not a DAC's job to have a sound, per se. Besides, comparing DACs by ear requires very precise level matching (to <0.3 dB, ideally about 0.1 dB) for valid results. Properly conducting listening tests is not trivial.

What sort of Class D amp are you looking at? You will have to look closely at the kinds of connections provided in combination with the power supply configuration in order to avoid running into trouble with ground loops. I would generally prefer balanced interconnects.

Thanks. Looking at the XTZ edge amp. I do like the idea of dacs sounding different though so you can tailor your sound.

Top Bottom