• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC + Power Amp? DAC + Preamp + Power Amp? DAC + Integrated? Integrated, built-in DAC? <£1000

Richdw

Hi All,

I've been reading many of the articles and reviews on this site for a while now and it's honestly a breath of fresh air. I work as a research biologist on acoustics of animal communication, which gives me a limited background in some audio tech, but more importantly it gives me a need to see hard evidence to support claims surrounding audio gear. This site is great! I appreciate that there is no "peer-reviewed" blueprint on how to assess audio gear, and that makes the attempts at consistency and standardisation used in the reviews and discussion here all the more impressive. Top effort :)

I recently moved house and now have a larger living room 6.0m x 3.4m. I have a pair of Jamo Classic 8 speakers, rated at:
Power handling 150 W - 200 W
Impedance : 4 Ohm
Power admitted (W) : 150
Bandwith : 35 – 20000 Hz
Sensitivity (dB/W/m) : 90.0

The Jamos are the only piece of existing audio gear I would like to keep, and hence I have to make some choices.

My Criteria (happy to add detail where I can):
1. Great sound, that works with my speakers (Jamo Classic 8) , in my living room (6.0m x 3.4m).
2. Multiple inputs for: streaming spotify/tidal hd, connect to a phone via bluetooth, play FLAC etc off a NAS, connect to a TV, possibly phono
3. Good usability: I want to be able to turn the system on/off easily, and swap between sources seamlessly.
4. Good integration and visual appeal if I use separates, or reasonable future-proofing if I use an all-in-one solution. I appreciate these as[ects are hard to define.
5. Budget is £1000 ($1300USD?)

Options!
From reading ASR I have come up with the following options, some may not be at all sensible, so feel free to dismiss/modify as appropriate :)

DAC + Power Amp?
This option seems like it could be very affordable depending largely on how much I can ask of a Pi 4 beyond just a streaming source, but may not be as safe/stable, or seamless to operate as more ready-made options? I like the freedom of being able to program the Pi 4 with any streaming service, bluetooth, REW/Dirac, etc but at a certain point, the value of plug-and-play devices outweighs the benefits. Ideas thus far:

-Raspberry Pi4 with Pi Hat DAC > Behringer A800 > Jamos
(+)~£400, (+)flexible (+)open-source (-) fiddly to setup/maintain (-)difficulty connecting/swapping sources, e.g. bluetooth, tv, phono? how?
-Raspberry Pi4 > (via usb) Topping E30 > Behringer A800 > Jamos
(+)~£300, (+)flexible (-) fiddly to setup/maintain (-) limited inputs on E30 (-)difficulty connecting/swapping sources, e.g. bluetooth, tv, phono
-Raspberry Pi4 > (via usb) Topping D50s > Behringer A800 > Jamos
(+)~£450, (+)flexible (-) may be fiddly to setup/maintain (-) unsure about input/output level matching

I am aware that there are many small DACs that could connect a Pi4 to a power amp, and I dare say there are better choices than those listed above. I have concerns about the ability to switch between sources and get a stable system that works day-to-day using this format. I'm also wary about the input/output levels of devices intended to be used with a separate preamp or integrated amp, which I have read could limit the power available to the speakers, or at the other extreme, it could blow speakers if a click/pop/signal is allowed through at an excessive amplitude. Finally, the mix-n-match nature of this system has potential look quirky if not executed with care. Which leads me to....

DAC + Preamp + Power Amp?
Since the A800 is such great value, I could spend more budget on a "proper" preamplifier, with a Pi4+DAC connected as one of the inputs. This seems potentially expensive, as dedicated preamps appear to be found typically in more expensive product-lines, but I am willing to consider suggestions of good value preamps of course. I haven't really got my head around the modern devices in this category, but here's a suggestion to give you an idea:

Raspberry Pi4 > Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus (+ BT100 bluetooth dongle) > Behringer A800 > Jamos
(+)~£600, (+)easy to set up (-)older model DAC, possibly not up to the latest streaming/noise standards?

I very much like the idea of getting a quality preamp with built-in DAC, especially if it has a clean usb power source on the back panel that would power (and receive data from) the Pi 4 without adding noise. I would be happy to spend more on this type of device, given the apparent ease of getting clean cheap power from a Behringer A800. Suggestions of more up-to-date devices than the Dacmagic Plus would be appreciated, in the £200-600 price bracket. Having said which, the next option is somewhat similar....

DAC + Integrated amp?
The second hand market is always awash with well-regarded (though infrequently measured) integrated amplifiers. I have a Sony TA-FE370 that has been with me through every jazz album and dubstep houseparty for over a decade and, whilst I have never been notably impressed by the sound it makes, It is obviously possible to take an older integrated amp, add a modern DAC and bluetooth receiver (or DAC with bluetooth of its own), hook up the Pi 4 to the DAC, and have a very cheap system that meets my needs. However, I struggle to choose between many used integrated amps due to the lack of detailed comparative data , and also, as a biologist perhaps, I am less inclined to spend money on a huge heavy transformer that will sit there heating the planet as much as sounding nice. I would need a large power section to drive my Jamo Classic 8s, and this seems like it could increase the chance of noise entering the signal path, what with preamp and power amp sharing a relatively small space. Again, this setup is wide open with many options, and I don't know particularly where to start choosing a used integrated amp to suite my needs. Here's an example setup:
Raspberry Pi 4 > (via usb) Topping D50s > (original vintage model) NAD 3020 > Jamos
(+)~£500+, (+)easy to set up (-) lack of data and support for older gear (-) lack of power in this and many older integrated amps
(-) difficulty connecting/swapping sources, e.g. bluetooth, tv, phono due to lack of remote, and/or some devices connecting to DAC, and some to amp direct.

The world of vintage/used hifi is something I know nothing about, so picking a used integrated amp that will work with a modern DAC etc is hard. Also prices vary immensely with some gear apparently held in near-mythical regard, which is not part of my criteria. Having said all that, if someone with knowledge is aware of an option in this category that would fit me perfectly, I am open to suggestions. More modern integrated amps seem to be readily setup for streaming, with many containing a DAC and streaming hardware, so they form the last option....

Integrated, with built-in DAC?
Before I discovered ASR several weeks ago, I simply googled "best integrated amps 2020" and was greeted by the Cambridge Audio CXA81 on the top of many review sites list. It was perhaps through this, and needing to understand what all the specs/jargon meant, that I have been lead in to the rabbit warren of audiophile equipment and become interested in the underlying science :) This setup remains, on paper, the most simple, without having a built-in streamer. Similar devices such as the recent NAD 3020 v2 seem highly appropriate in many respects but typically lack one of my requirements (in the case of the NAD, it is power). Example setup:
Raspberry Pi 4 > (via usb) Cambridge Audio CXA81 > Jamos
(-)most expensive option ~£1000 (+) easy to set up (+) Very good plug-and-play (-) still reliant on a Pi 4 for streaming capability
(-) Lots of tech in one box, making repair/upgrade of individual parts difficult/costly

Summary and final points:
-I want to have the best sound possible for my investment.
-I am not set on any one solution, so would happily swap out the Pi 4 as streamer, or the A800 as power amp, if that can be justified sonically/financially.
-The Raspberry Pi4 seems to offer everything a dedicated streamer would offer, and since individual streamers are expensive (e.g. Cambridge Audio CXN v2, £799), I have not considered any yet.

Thanks for anyone who has taken the time to read this far. I don't usually have high expectations for internet forum assistance, but the culture of evidence-based knowledge-sharing on ASR gives me hope. Please feel free to suggest ideas, highlight things I have apparently misunderstood, provide a totally novel solution, or even link me to a (UK) ebay listing that I would never find on my own.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm recovering from a hip operation, so now seems a good time to get my hifi setup sorted :)

Many thanks,
Rich

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

I think using a RPi 4 as a streamer/source to a DAC and to a power amp is very sensible and will give you a very big bang for the buck.

I'd suggest giving the IOM NCore Pro a look -- reviewed here.

Top Bottom