• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dac fixed line out vs. pre-amp out w/external preamp

gad

Any benefit for dac with fixed line out vs. pre-amp out when used with an external preamplifier?

I am considering the Sabaj D5 and am curious as to the implications, if any, of no fixed line out, but rather a pre-out.

thanks,

gad-

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should work fine. Just turn it up all the way and connect to you preamp. The volume control is just attenuating the line level signal.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Any benefit for dac with fixed line out vs. pre-amp out when used with an external preamplifier?
Yes, one less volume control to contend with and maybe a better signal path (totally dependent on the implementation of the volume control)
I find it a hassle to have a DAC/headphone AMP with a pre-out (But that is what I have at the moment)

OP
G

gad

Thanks folks. I almost want to buy the Sbaj D5. If the double process from a dac preamp to external preamp may create measureable repeatable data relevant to SQ that would be worth knowing. My speakers, preamp, amp were bought before computer audio ruled. I'm a speaker only guy
(old); really have no use for head phone amp, xlr outs, all in one dac/pre; what has me interested is a <$500 well implemented ess9038pro dac. If
it comes with a side of fries such is life. It might even entice me to try some new tricks that score well on Amirm's graphs :)

Last edited:

rwortman

Forum Donor
Amir measured the line output with the volume all the way up. It measured fine. That’s not going to change when you plug it into your preamp.

Daverz

Major Contributor
A variable DAC output is useful for:

* avoiding intersample overs
* adjusting DAC volume so that the pre-amp volume control is in its optimal range

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
adjusting DAC volume so that the pre-amp volume control is in its optimal range
In that case I would limit the digital input instead, but that's just me. (I'm not worried about losing bits on digital volume controls)

rwortman

Forum Donor
Some folks have more inputs to switch.

Willem

Major Contributor
A pre amp is useful if you have multiple analogue inputs, but what are they these days? Internet radio is at least as good as FM, the better disc players have digital outputs and so do televisions. Realistically we are only talking about a turntable. For that I bought a Pro-ject Optical E box, a MM preamp with optical output.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... Some folks have more inputs to switch.

Indeed

Pre-On Post-Off.jpg

Top Bottom