• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac+Amp for HD800S

spartangalo

Hello good evening, yesterday I ordered a Senheiser HD800s and after all the reviews I had read around here and several videos I had decided on a Topping Dx3 Pro V2 as Amp+Dac to accompany the headphones, but now I am seeing people are commenting 2 things:

1. That the Dx3 is not enough to make the headphones sound good (300 ohms)

2. That they recommend looking for a Dac+Amp that has Xlr output as it makes a lot of difference in clarity and sound quality a balanced Xlr cable to a jack

Do you think it's worth going for a dac+amp that has more power and an xlr output?

If you think so, which one would you recommend for about $400?

Thank You

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you just ordered a new one, the most important thing to know is you won't get a XLR cable but a 4.4mm balanced, that was changed some time back. As for power, I used A90 to power it, out of single end unity gain was enough, and out of 4.4mm balanced low gain was good. So it's not that hard to drive. I would wait and find out.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DX3 will be fine with the HD800. It has an excellent DAC and plenty of power into a 300 ohm load.

The currently available V2 of the DX3 has 10 ohms output impedance, which is a step down from the original version Amir measured but with the HD800's high impedance that won't be an issue.

The idea that a "balanced" output sounds better is an audiophile myth. It really only gets you more power.

Top Bottom