• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC advice

Zeek

I am seeking a decent DAC to play on my hifi system (with a Rotel RA-1060 amp) the numerous music files currently sitting on my laptop (which are mostly mp3s at 320kbps, and may increasingly skew toward flac) .
I am a total novice to DACs, not very technically knowledgeable on audio equipment, and looking for an 'off-the-shelf' solution (vs any building/assembly I'd have to do). I've read a number of other posts on this board but haven't found the answer to my questions.
I'd be _extremely grateful_ for your advice (geared at my novice level ;-) )

My questions are:
1- What are my options for playing the files on the DAC? (eg connecting computer to DAC via cable, connecting them via wifi, using Bluetooth from Android smartphone, ... ??) And what (gear, software...) would would I need to make wifi or Bluetooth work?
2- Is it possible to store the files on either the DAC or some network that the DAC can access? What is needed to make this work?
3- What DAC would you recommend for my situation? Looking to spend at most 400-500 USD (ideally less) and good quality (for my parameters). I've seen mention of the Cambridge MagicPlus, Topping D50S, SONCOZ LA-QXD1, SMSL M500

Sorry for the total beginner questions and thanks for your indulgence and help - this is a whole new world for me...
Happy to be directed to good articles or websites for Q 1 and 2 if easier.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR. Some quick answers to get you started ...
  1. Most DACs will have wired connections: USB, coax, SPDIF. If you would also like to connect via Bluetooth it is typically easiest to buy a DAC with built-in Bluetooth capability such as the Topping D50s.
    • Your best best out of the box is to use a wired USB connection for your laptop. Your phone can connect via Bluetooth.
  2. DACs do not include file storage. If you have files on your laptop now that will work fine for playing through your DAC as long as you connect via USB (or another wired connection or Bluetooth). There are more advanced setups using streamers or NAS but you can always configure that later. No matter what you will always need a controlling device + player to send music to the DAC, and for now I'd say stick to your laptop and/or Android phone.
  3. I don't think you need to spend as much as $500 on a quality DAC. In your situation I'd say look at DACs that measure well and have the following features:
    • Bluetooth
    • If you're thinking about (eventually) using headphones, you should consider either A) buying a DAC/amp combo or B) at least consider getting a DAC with balanced (XLR) outs that you can use to connect to a headphone amp. For B) this isn't required, but it's a good insurance policy in case your setup would have ground loop issues. I doubt your Rotel is going to do very well playing headphones.
You can certainly buy a separate Bluetooth receiver (for example: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38071) and connect it to your DAC via SPDIF. It gives you more flexibility because it opens up the options you have for buying a DAC, but you may not want the hassle of buying another device.

OP
Z

Zeek

Thanks for the super-useful advice!
I have 3 follow-up questions:

A. Could you please suggest specific DACs that would fit my situation? (in addition to Topping DX3 Pro and D50s) And please advise on their relative merits for my needs? (as mentioned, my primary purpose is feeding into my amp; would like BT; possible future use for headphones, but not super likely)

B. My laptop lives on a different floor from my hifi, so if I feed music files direct from laptop (via USB), I would need to set up a second laptop by the hifi just for this purpose. This is an option, though a bit unwieldy. What does it take (re gear, setup, cost) to be able to make the files 'virtually accessible' to the DAC? (RickSanchez mentioned NAS or streamer - grateful if you can enlighten me on ABCs of this, specific gear/system suggestions appreciated)

C. Is there anything special to pay attention to in terms of cables to connect DAC to hifi?

Thanks!

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My laptop lives on a different floor from my hifi, so if I feed music files direct from laptop (via USB), I would need to set up a second laptop by the hifi just for this purpose. This is an option, though a bit unwieldy. What does it take (re gear, setup, cost) to be able to make the files 'virtually accessible' to the DAC? (RickSanchez mentioned NAS or streamer - grateful if you can enlighten me on ABCs of this, specific gear/system suggestions appreciated)
You'll need an endpoint that is connected to your network. You can set up a Raspberry Pi to do this. The RPi connects to the DAC and works with an ethernet or wifi connection.

A. Could you please suggest specific DACs that would fit my situation? (in addition to Topping DX3 Pro and D50s) And please advise on their relative merits for my needs? (as mentioned, my primary purpose is feeding into my amp; would like BT; possible future use for headphones, but not super likely)

B. My laptop lives on a different floor from my hifi, so if I feed music files direct from laptop (via USB), I would need to set up a second laptop by the hifi just for this purpose. This is an option, though a bit unwieldy. What does it take (re gear, setup, cost) to be able to make the files 'virtually accessible' to the DAC? (RickSanchez mentioned NAS or streamer - grateful if you can enlighten me on ABCs of this, specific gear/system suggestions appreciated)

C. Is there anything special to pay attention to in terms of cables to connect DAC to hifi?

Thanks!

There’s a ton of useful information already provided on this site, including recommended DACs whic can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

You will be much better served by doing a little research for yourself rather than asking others to do it for you.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There’s a ton of useful information already provided on this site, including recommended DACs whic can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

You will be much better served by doing a little research for yourself rather than asking others to do it for you.
Whilst I agree that there's a rich repository of information here, sometimes it can be rather daunting. Asking for advice is fine and it's always good to welcome new members.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Thanks!

In terms of trying to find DACs that would fit, it's probably best to think about your requests in a different order.

B) You'll want to address this first. @SJ777 makes a good suggestion: think about a Raspberry Pi as a streamer / player.
But there are obviously other streamer options out there. They are typically much more expensive but are also more plug-n-play.

A) If you go the Raspberry Pi streamer/player route there's really no need to get a Bluetooth-enabled DAC since the music will be fed to the Raspberry Pi over wi-fi. As such you've opened up a world of possibilities for buying a DAC or DAC/amp combo. You can use the dashboards that @Buster Chestnut linked to as a starting point, which allow you to sort / filter DACs that have been reviewed on ASR based on your criteria. Once you've got your short list one online spot to look at is Apos Audio. I haven't bought from them myself but many ASR members have good -- if not great -- things to say about them.

Part of the reason that you may not get a ton of specific DAC recommendations from ASR members is that there are so many that measure really well and are audibly transparent. So it's more up to you to pick something that has the build quality, features, return policy, and aesthetics that you need + fits within your budget. If you wanted something where you could listen via your amp or via headphones I would suggest the Sabaj D5 DAC/amp (fits within your budget, plus has a remote and XLR outs if you ever invest in active speakers) but sounds like headphones are not a big thing for you.

C) Your only option for interconnects are RCA cables since that is what that Rotel supports. You might want to search ASR for threads about RCA cables + shielding, but the simple answer is that you don't have to spend a lot of time or money on RCA interconnects.

Alenergy

I am seeking a decent DAC to play on my hifi system (with a Rotel RA-1060 amp) the numerous music files currently sitting on my laptop (which are mostly mp3s at 320kbps, and may increasingly skew toward flac) .
I am a total novice to DACs, not very technically knowledgeable on audio equipment, and looking for an 'off-the-shelf' solution (vs any building/assembly I'd have to do). I've read a number of other posts on this board but haven't found the answer to my questions.
I'd be _extremely grateful_ for your advice (geared at my novice level ;-) )

My questions are:
1- What are my options for playing the files on the DAC? (eg connecting computer to DAC via cable, connecting them via wifi, using Bluetooth from Android smartphone, ... ??) And what (gear, software...) would would I need to make wifi or Bluetooth work?
2- Is it possible to store the files on either the DAC or some network that the DAC can access? What is needed to make this work?
3- What DAC would you recommend for my situation? Looking to spend at most 400-500 USD (ideally less) and good quality (for my parameters). I've seen mention of the Cambridge MagicPlus, Topping D50S, SONCOZ LA-QXD1, SMSL M500

Sorry for the total beginner questions and thanks for your indulgence and help - this is a whole new world for me...
Happy to be directed to good articles or websites for Q 1 and 2 if easier.

SMSL SU-9 it's a great DAC, tons of features BT (Aptx, Aptx HD, LDAC, UAT), full MQA unfolding, balanced outputs, etc.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-9-balanced-dac-review.16150/

And.... $ 439

Whilst I agree that there's a rich repository of information here, sometimes it can be rather daunting. Asking for advice is fine and it's always good to welcome new members.

Which is why I linked the review page for the OP.

What the OP thinks he may need today will likely change after reading several reviews and gaining a better understanding of his true needs, price point, whether he will move devices around in his home, etc.

Just trying to help OP find the best solution for him.

JoeKickass

Modi Multibit for $250, if you want to hear music as life-like as possible.

Modius for $200, if you think measurements are all the matters.

Topping E30 for $100 if you want volume control and Bluetooth

I'm surprised at the recommendations, there is no need to spend $500 on your first DAC, I thought this forum was supposed to be about saving money?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Any DAC which reaches 2V out unbalanced can be used for the purposes and you don't need anything great really rest is up future's and individual likes.
The current situation regarding of the shelf streaming solutions for desktop is rather bad ant they are expensive. Of the shell alternative is Android TV boxes or with some effort Roseberry Pi bord which would serve you longer. For basic WiFi sharing any DLNA setup will work including TV integrated solutions.

Some of the more integrated solutions to think about;
Loxjie D30 for around 160~170$ you get useful headphone amp, DAC, remote & BT.
Sound BlasterX G6 for 100~150$ you get good headaphone Amp, solid DAC, Dolby decoding no BT or remote but rather portable.
Conection advice is to use optical rather than USB and best from a central reciver (usually TV).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Modi Multibit for $250, if you want to hear music as life-like as possible.

Modius for $200, if you think measurements are all the matters.

Topping E30 for $100 if you want volume control and Bluetooth

I'm surprised at the recommendations, there is no need to spend $500 on your first DAC, I thought this forum was supposed to be about saving money?
I'm not sure anyone leading off their post with a $250 distortion box has any right to criticise other suggestions if I'm honest.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I would do is simply enable the media server/media sharing functionality on your laptop (it's Windows, right?). This is known as DLNA. Then, download a player with your smartphone such as BubbleUPNP and use it to control your music playback and cast to your amp. I would use a Chromecast device in this case connected to your amplifier as the DAC. It will playback the files from your server into your amp.

A NAS is a better long term solution but this will get you started.

JoeKickass

Errr....

I'm not sure what your definition of life-like means, but is that the job of a DAC to add extra enhancements?

I thought the job was to just be transparent.
"Transparent" for common quality digital audio usually means it sounds harsh, I think most people call it "digital edge". Sure you can get Uber high quality files, but 90% of digital audio is not.

Multibit has upsampling filters and other tricks to smooth it out and make it sound more analog aka life-like. In addition to all the positive reviews this has actually been verified with blind tests:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...chiit-multibit-bifrost.105/page-18#post-10536
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/5uwy3h

Top Bottom