• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Décodeur SMSL M500 MQA ES9038PRO ES9311 XMOS XU-208 32bit 768kHz DSD512

Orly67

Sorry for my bad English. Some people can me recommend if this DAC will be a good purchase for me? I want to connect this with my MacBook pro. I listen music from Tidal premium and I have an integrated Yamaha s501 with Dali senzor3. Thank all so much.

Willem

Major Contributor
Do you mean you have a Yamaha AS501? In that case you already have a probably pretty good optical and coaxial DAC. Do you really need to connect to your Macbook? If so, you only need a usb DAC. Alternatively, if it is just for streaming of Tidal, there are other options with an optical output such as the cheap but excellent Chromecast Audio with an optical output (hurry, it has been discontinued).

OP
O

Orly67

Sorry for my bad English. Some people can me recommend if this DAC will be a good purchase for me? I want to connect this with my MacBook pro. I listen music from Tidal premium and I have an integrated Yamaha s501 with Dali senzor3. Thank all so much.
Thank you

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My intuition is telling me, you must be... French.;)

So far, you have to know that the M500 is (quite probably) a State of the Art DAC for the price, with specs at 117db SINAD. There is no way your Yamaha comes close to this level of transparency. A DAC of this level is IMHO overkill for your integrated. You could better look at cheaper alternatives, like Topping DX3 Pro or D50s, even a Khadas Tone Board with case (also sold by Audiophonics).

About the Chromecast Audio, its optical performance is terrible stock, unless you're using Tidal with Roon: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

SMSL A8 could be better option ( Amplifer + DAC )
Quite more expensive, less powerful under 8ohms, and I doubt it performs "that" better than the Yam distortion-wise.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I disagree. See here for measurements of the Yamaha AS801: https://www.audioholics.com/amplifi...1-amplifier-review/yamaha-a-s801-measurements . There is nothing wrong with the digital inputs. Yes, it could be better, but I don't think improvements would be audible. As for the optical output of the CCA, this is in fact excellent. The measurements that Vintageflanker are referring to are using the tab in the Chrome browser, but that is not the correct way to use the CCA. Just use it as a streamer with the relevant apps, and it will be perfectly clean and neutral. You do not need Roon for that. I know, I do this with an RME ADI-2DAC and Quad electrostatic speakers. See here: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html
So the question remains: do you really need to connect to the laptop (i.e. do you need a usb input)?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. See here for measurements of the Yamaha AS801: https://www.audioholics.com/amplifi...1-amplifier-review/yamaha-a-s801-measurements . There is nothing wrong with the digital inputs. Yes, it could be better, but I don't think improvements would be audible. As for the optical output of the CCA, this is in fact excellent. The measurements that Vintageflanker are referring to are using the tab in the Chrome browdser, but that is not the correct way to use the CCA. Just use it as a streamer with the relevant apps, and it will be perfectly clean and neutral. I know, I do this with an RME ADI-2DAC and Quad electrostatic speakers. See here: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html
So the question remains: do you really need to connect to the laptop (i.e. do you need a usb input)?
In that case a simple CCA would be theoricaly enough and would make save a lot of money to @Orly67 (are you really from Orly, BTW?) . What app do you use for CCA?

Willem

Major Contributor
The Spotify app for Spotify, the TuneIn app for TuneIn internet radio, but also the BBC app for BBC radio etc etc. There are also Tidal and Qobuz apps. Honestly, it works a treat and delivers completely transparent audio.

OP
O

Orly67

My intuition is telling me, you must be... French.;)

So far, you have to know that the M500 is (quite probably) a State of the Art DAC for the price, with specs at 117db SINAD. There is no way your Yamaha comes close to this level of transparency. A DAC of this level is IMHO overkill for your integrated. You could better look at cheaper alternatives, like Topping DX3 Pro or D50s, even a Khadas Tone Board with case (also sold by Audiophonics).

About the Chromecast Audio, its optical performance is terrible stock, unless you're using Tidal with Roon: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

Quite more expensive, less powerful under 8ohms, and I doubt it performs "that" better than the Yam distortion-wise.
yes i am french

OP
O

Orly67

ChromeCast Audio. ;)
i have one of this CCA is connected directly with my yamaha S501 and work well with my smartphone in wifi connection but when i try it with chrome browser in the macbook pro the connection not work well always broken

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have one of this CCA is connected directly with my yamaha S501 and work well with my smartphone in wifi connection but when i try it with chrome browser in the macbook pro the connection not work well always broken
Well that's an issue. Isn't there a Tidal app for Mac?! But that doesn't solve the problem of the browser you have to use...

OP
O

Orly67

Well that's an issue. Isn't there a Tidal app for Mac?! But that doesn't solve the problem of the browser you have to use...
yes i have the application of Tidal and also spotify. I prefer Tidal for files lossless flac and MQA.

Top Bottom