• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crossover MKP Capacitors

Birdy

I use two different 33 uF MKP capacitors in series to make 16.5 uF. One is a DIYaudio Silver cap and the other an old Solen Chataeu Rough(?) Does using them in series have negative consequences? Would it make an audible difference to use just one MKP capacitor? The sound is good and does this compensate for the high purchase costs of a new one? any help is welcome...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does using them in series have negative consequences? Would it make an audible difference to use just one MKP capacitor?
No and highly unlikely, respectively. Now go enjoy your speakers. :)

egellings

Major Contributor
I use two different 33 uF MKP capacitors in series to make 16.5 uF. One is a DIYaudio Silver cap and the other an old Solen Chataeu Rough(?) Does using them in series have negative consequences? Would it make an audible difference to use just one MKP capacitor? The sound is good and does this compensate for the high purchase costs of a new one? any help is welcome...
You could possibly have a pinch more ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) with two caps in series, but I think the effect of that would be microscopic. I highly doubt you'd hear a difference due to that slight (a few milli-ohms) increase.

OP
Birdy

Birdy

You could possibly have a pinch more ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) with two caps in series, but I think the effect of that would be microscopic. I highly doubt you'd hear a difference due to that slight (a few milli-ohms) increase.
Yes, I've thought about it, in practice the higher resistance might reduce the output of my dome midrange a bit. This could have even helped balance the output between the drivers. I don't know how the (small) quality differences between the two MKP capacitors work out. Thanks!

egellings

Major Contributor
Yes, I've thought about it, in practice the higher resistance might reduce the output of my dome midrange a bit. This could have even helped balance the output between the drivers. I don't know how the (small) quality differences between the two MKP capacitors work out. Thanks!
Playback volume level differences will be microscopic as well with such a tiny addition of ESR.

Top Bottom