• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crazy ass Audio tweaking

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I'm curious, what is the "black material" under the top of that table? It is some sort of foam, or shadow from picture?
Shadow maybe. The one I used was identical to the one pictured. We moved it once and there was nothing between the pieces that I recall.

Wombat

Master Contributor
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

...... forgive them for they know not ........

Jaimo

Stone is okay for Rock music. What do I use for Bach?

Slothrop

I was using stones for a while, but what really lifted the veil for me was supporting my speaker cables on a bed of shredded $100 bills. You have to use the old ones, though; the security features on the new ones introduce glaring digital artifacts.

Dogan

I use diamonds. You must use natural organic diamonds, though, as the cheap industrial man-made ones cause the sound to be too harsh and mechanical. And for best sound they must be flawless but that does come at a price premium. The best sound is worth every little hundred thousand dollars, however.
Well, I bet one hundred thousand dollars that you can't measure the difference in sound between using natural vs. lab-made diamond. They must have exactly the same cut and clarity though.

Dogan

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Such much work for naut. Peeebles. Me using corale sheeels. My electra is naw cleeen.

invaderzim

I tried a bunch of tweaks that widened the soundstage but then it got so wide that musicians at the sides started sounding like they were outside the room.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried a bunch of tweaks that widened the soundstage but then it got so wide that musicians at the sides started sounding like they were outside the room.

The problems start when they come back into the room insisting on being paid.

HedgeHog

Why use stones (and Sorbothane) when you have Buddhist bowles?

Synergistic Research Acoustic ART:

https://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-acoustic-art

I tried them (from The Cable Company's "borrowing" library). Did nothing at all.

ART2.JPG

The little ball bearing were cool, though. The lined up with magnetic force into that spire.

-H

Hypnotoad

So Peter Brock was right, who knew?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wonder what the cap does... And can't help but think the "low level information retrieval" is more about how deeply into your wallet they dig rather than audible improvements. It's pretty; is there a mu-metal shielded box inside that pretty woddent cover?

As with all PranaWire Super Enhanced Ground Planes, you will enjoy greater stage depth, 3 dimensional resolution, specificity of instruments' location in space and vastly quieter background. The Emerald with it's 4 binding posts and silver ground plane exhibits an even lower noise floor than the Emerald-C, with even greater low level information retrieval.

Plus Version
The Plus Version of the Emerald adds a Duelund CAST silver capacitor to the circuit for additional noise reduction.

Not sure about #1... The other two points are usually handled by the component. Whatever.

• Try on your wireless router connected to your audio system.
  • Do not mix chassis ground with signal ground. Most high end audio components separate the chassis (AC) ground from the signal ground. Mixing the 2 on the Ruby Ground Plane will be a sonic step backwards.
  • Keep digital component grounds separate from Analog

BillG

Major Contributor
I like to get naked, and rub a mixture of warm butter and honey all over my amp, and body, prior to an extended listening session - the sound stage becomes vast, deep, and creamy in a way that I'd previously thought to be unimaginable as a result!

By the way, does anyone have a spare towel? :p

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Panelhead

Forum Donor
One real phenomenon is EMF shielding from granite. I have different colored slabs in my equipment rack. Someone gave them to me and cut to size.
The black granite has so much hematite that weak magnets will hang off the side of the slab. Almost like metal and not stone. The gray less so. The white granite is barely magnetic.
Placed an isolation transformer in the bottom. The black granite sheet now sits on the shelf above.
If you have granite in the house get a magnetic to check. There is a lot of iron in the darker colored rock.

BillG

Major Contributor
One real phenomenon is EMF shielding from granite. I have different colored slabs in my equipment rack. Someone gave them to me and cut to size.
The black granite has so much hematite that weak magnets will hang off the side of the slab. Almost like metal and not stone. The gray less so. The white granite is barely magnetic.
Placed an isolation transformer in the bottom. The black granite sheet now sits on the shelf above.
If you have granite in the house get a magnetic to check. There is a lot of iron in the darker colored rock.

If the equipment is so poorly designed that it requires additional shielding, which it shouldn't if it complies to international consumer standards, then it's probably not worth being in your rack to begin with. Or are you trying to harden it against an EMP attack? ;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Years ago as a tech I had to repair a guy's amp. It was basically a charred mess. He'd read the benefits of adding bricks on top to add mass and eliminate vibrations that corrupt the sound. Too bad nobody told him that blocking all the cooling vents was a bad idea.

Top Bottom