• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crackling

Mathijs Kok

Since I updated to the latest version of Windows (22631.3155) I have rather heavy crackling in sound.
I tried the onboard audio, two different external USB dacs, different formats, different cables, speakers, all the same.
Only BT connections seem free of it. This is on a rog strix b550-e gaming motherboard, latest drivers for everything.

Anybody any suggestions before I order a new motherboard?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's usually something interrupting the audio. Your multitasking operating system is always multitasking. If something hogs the system for a few milliseconds too long you get buffer underflow and a glitch. (Bluetooth probably has a bigger buffer.) Try to minimize the number of applications and background operations. If you have anti-virus, try temporarily turning it off and if that helps you can either leave it off or try a different anti-virus one.

There is a free online book about optimizing your system for audio called Glitch Free. (It's mostly for recording & production but it should also help for playback).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also, try running LatencyMon.

If the crackle is caused by system interrupts, then Toslink or USB isolators won't help.

OP
M

Mathijs Kok

Thanks all for the assistance. I found the culprit.

It was Chrome; using the same source in Edge or Firefox does not cause the issue. I completely re-installed (manually cleaned) it, disabled hardware assist, and got the same result. I did not see this in Bluetooth because I never use Bluetooth connections for stuff that runs in a browser.

OP
M

Mathijs Kok

Btw, thanks for that link to Glitch Free, DVDdoug. A bit outdated but VERY useful reading.

OP
M

Mathijs Kok

Small update on this.... Nahimic, how could I forget to disable to that shite.

Top Bottom