• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I admit it, I'm weak and hardly can say no to a nice girl making a gentle cover of one of my favourite songs..

All this running around
I can't fight it much longer
Something's tryna get out
And it's never been closer
If my ticker fails
Make up some other story
But if I never come back

Tell my mother I'm sorry

Violet Days - Let It Happen (Tame Impala cover)

Propheticus

The harder sound of Disturbed fits the message of Land of confusion. Gives it even more sense of urgency:

This sounds completely different from the original, but it has a nice groovy chill vibe (do remixes count?)
Graceland by Paul Simon is of course a legendary album, but I think I prefer this Gui Boratto remix of That was your Mother:

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it does fit the description of being both original and a duplication.
When I was still a teenager I liked trance and dance music. DJ Tiësto made this cover of Adagio for strings.
Only later I found out melodies from several of his songs were based on (famous) classical pieces, like this one from Barber.
So, a 'house' DJ introduced me to classical music.
(I would now prefer a more classical version, like Hauser. But that is not really unique in it's own way, while being a nice rendition.)

Propheticus

oh oh oh. A classically schooled opera singer singing rock and a rock singer (conservatory schooled though), signing opera:

Not sure how she does it, but she almost always triggers goose bumps (sometimes tears as well).
Can't say I can listen to Nightwish for too long though. Not really the type of music I like.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
We've had a few of Soundgarden being covered, so how about one of their covers?
Tori Amos with an atmospheric take on Raining Blood
Youtube doesn't have Under Neath What's version of 2000 Lightyears From Home - it's on the B side of the Firebomb Telecom EP.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Too many great covers to consider, but I'm going to spin it a different way. Two covers that, off the top of my head, gave me the biggest surprise—a complete change of perspective. One that I realized was a cover right away, the other that I knew wasn't original but it was decades later before I heard the original...

The first one...

The second, and it's original...

Last edited:

Monte

I've always liked the Kenny Burrell and Blood, Sweat and Tears versions of God Bless the Child.
Billie Hoiiday shares writing credit and her recording is tops. Since her 1941 release, SecondHandSongs says there are 442 versions. But it seems to be a tough song to cover.
Diana Ross keeps the original vibe.
Richie Havens has nice version. So does Crystal Gayle.
The Holographics just did a brassy version like BS&T. James Taylor just recorded it too.

Covers - just about any by Weird Al Yankovic

I quite like the Mark-Almond version of Billy Joel's New York State of Mind. The album is a bit dark.

War, where the cover, by Edwin Starr is the famous version. Originally by the Temptations!

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yiruma - River Flows In You - Electric Guitar & Piano Cover by Kfir Ochaion feat. Yuval Salomon

Tones and I "Dance Monkey" cover by Jens Tejlgaard

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Did someone mention this already? Purple Haze done by The Cure

I don't find the two to look alike a lot and that's what I like the most.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so much a cover since the lead guitarist is the same. Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes Ten Years Gone. Although I do prefer this version to the original studio one on Physical Graffiti (sorry Plant!)

"I don't always listen to Led Zeppelin but when I do, so do my neighbors....."
--random YouTube comment

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sia, a constant earworm for me since she was one of Zero 7's singers, bringing Madonna's "Oh Father" out of 80's purgatory.

Natalie Merchant singing "Nowhere Man" (The Beatles)
(She also does my favorite cover of Bowie's "Space Oddity," a helluva "Sympathy for the Devil," and a kick-ass "Son of a Preacher Man")

The Fugees (Lauryn Hill) doing Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song." (Has this thread really gone over 300 posts without this track?)

I'm not sure if Pearl Jam playing a Mother Love Bone song counts 100% as a cover, but here they are playing "Chloe Dancer" and "Crown of Thorns"

either way, PJ playing Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" definitely counts.

As does Eddie Vedder and Queen Bey doing a duet of Marley's "Redemption Song."

Lastly, and probably the only cover in this thread more Gen X than Fiona Apple's cover of "Across the Universe" posted earlier: Iron and Wine stripping down the Postal Service's "Such Great Heights"

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Fugees (Lauryn Hill) doing Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song." (Has this thread really gone over 300 posts without this track?)
Not that it matters (just my humble opinion) but personally I would be Ok without it the next 3000 posts :).
It is so notorious version (pushed so extensively by mass media) that I literally hate it.. maybe I'm not the only one here :oops:
(again, no offense to artist or you..)

Top Bottom