• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Global business, economics, and stock markets updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't mean to cause a political situation, I saw US tax brackets being posted and was just trying to say in the US it isn't as simple as looking at tax brackets. Anyway I deleted my other post.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
S&P support level is 3,000 which may be tested today. Next support level is 2,820. Recent market weakness has been attributed to an increase in infections by some, US Presidential race polls by others. I believe we are seeing a consolidation after a big rally and that overall the market is not overpriced.

Stuff I like: Big banks, Visa, MasterCard
Stuff I don't like: cruise lines, airlines, hotels, QQQ, REIT's.

Generally, if it hasn't come back to January levels yet and it isn't too speculative, it's worth looking at.
I don't day trade or short anything.

@Thomas savage sorry about the off topic post. It was actually an accident and way before the other thread was closed.

Dave Zan

I have just read the International Monetary Fund's latest World Economic Outlook statement.
They have improved their forecast for Australia, presumably because we have done well with Covid (so far at least).
The forecast for the USA went the other way- predicted heavier economic hit, more debt etc.
Can I ask the US members how they see this will play out?
In Australia there is a plan for recovery and I have a feel for the sentiment here.
But the US case numbers have hit new records and I have no idea what the plan is or how people will react there.
If cases continue to increase is there any level that would cause a return to restrictions?
Or what is the alternative plan?

...use now to continue where the now closed covid19 thread left off , if this carries on this one will be closed also .

The fact this has happened has also cemented the closure of the other covid19 thread .

I understand your frustration with strife in these threads but it seems a little harsh to keep the other thread closed because of bad behaviour in this one.
The fact that people continued here when the other thread was closed is not insubordination but a demonstration of how important people feel the topic is.
I like a nice Spinorama thread as much as anyone but Covid is literally life and death (or unemployment versus a job, if you are lucky) and I think most people learned a lot, certainly I did.
You have the final say as moderator, of course, but may I respectfully ask you to reconsider?

Best wishes
David

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The economic impact for me is that my pension has lost ⅓ of its value and the personal one is missing seeing and sharing time with my grandchildren who I adore.
I am a believer in liberty but it seems to me there are enough people who are selfish, stupid or ignorant enough for the idea of relying on peoples sense of community, citizenship and good sense to prevent the accelerating threat of spreading the virus is an optimism too far - looking at what is happening here in England.

Willem

Major Contributor
The economic impact is clearly dire, and I am sure it will last for a while. It started on the supply side, but now that people are beginning to lose incomes, demand will take a hit as well, setting in motion a downward spiral. Therefore income support and massive public expenditure are obviously required. The route of relaxing controls before the infection rate is really down may seem to have made economic sense, but if you are too early you not only risk many new infections, but also a further economic downturn. It was and is a precarious balancing act, and nobody can hope to get it quite right, although in retrospect some seem to have been or are better at it than others.
In the Netherlands we never had a complete lockdown, and although business was hurt it did not come to a complete standstill, and by now the infection rate is down to increasingly small numbers. The government asked citizens to behave responsibly, and by and large this has worked out very well. Right now there is a lot of political pressure to relax even further, but interestingly that loud populist noise is not reflected in opinion polls where the vast majority of the population supports current restrictions. So unlike Frank, I remain largely optimistic, though not about the economic prospects.

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Powecom-KN95-caja.jpg
    Powecom-KN95-caja.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Powecom-KN95-bolsas.jpg
    Powecom-KN95-bolsas.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Powecom-KN95-QR-genuine.jpg
    Powecom-KN95-QR-genuine.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Powecom-KN95-10-masks.jpg
    Powecom-KN95-10-masks.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135

North_Sky

Major Contributor
In Canada, in some parts, a fair bunch of restaurants are bankrupted.
I don't think we'll get back to where we were till an effective vaccine(s).

I talked to one of my brothers recently (he lives between Montreal and Quebec City, in the countryside with his wife...the kids are closer to Montreal), and a fair bunch of restaurants are caput, gone. What surprised me is that the ones remaining, most are open inside. I live in BC @ the other end of Canada and restaurants aren't open inside, many. Fast food pickup by a window yes, and few restaurants with tables outside, but not inside.

In the US I have zero clue, I don't live there to see how each state operate their businesses. But many here do, so they can share their economic impact on that sector.

The NASDAQ (technologies) is doing good, breaking records.
You can call me impressed to see the stock markets where they are now in North America. It doesn't seem to fit with the overall economic climate across the continent.

Some countries benefit more than others on the business front. ...The ones relatively unscathed by the number of cases and deaths. But even then for some hardest hit it's business as usual.

I do understand the fragile balance between global economy and global starvation.

I've read an article recently where a group of 83 rich people are asking to pay substantially more taxes to help the COVID-19 cause...its devastating effects on the poor. That's nice, a human touch of compassion.
Do you want me to provide a link or did you already read it?

Now I need to read a good book, a recent one.

Willem

Major Contributor
Sure that would be best. But don't raise taxes for others or you erode effective demand.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Sure that would be best. But don't raise taxes for others or you erode effective demand.

That's exactly where the imbalance reigns...the distribution and redistribution inequalities.
_____

On the telecom strictly business vantage point of view ...
https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Pi...tal-minister-warns-of-China-s-5G-Trojan-horse

That's quite an informative article ^ I'd say. You have to read it...info you can use.

"Tang, the youngest minister in Taiwan's history, is a renowned hacker, programmer and entrepreneur. She has been praised as a key figure in the fight against COVID-19 for her role in quickly developing systems using open data and digital tools to slow the spread of the virus.

She has teamed up with many developers to roll out multiple tools and apps that incorporate big data and national health ID cards to speed up the distribution of masks and economic stimulus coupons. Tang's efforts, together with those of other ministries, have helped Taiwan win international plaudits for its success in containing COVID-19."

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
This is good, very good ... Corona versus the economy ... a clear an ultra vision of the two forces working in tandem for the benefit of human kind.
Some countries have the right stamina to handle the situation masterfully.
Other countries struggle within their own internal parameters, in need of more radical adjustments and longer term implementations.

It is permissible and advisable to follow others' great implementations and directions.
It's also free advice for everyone to see.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
By plane ... (Canada, home) ✈
https://globalnews.ca/news/7178604/coronavirus-exposure-canadian-flights/

One of my nieces is a flight attendant...she doesn't expect to return to work for two years, approximately. But she is well covered with generous plans for their employees.
She doesn't work for Air Canada or West Jet.

By car ... ⛟

Elon is going big in China, hedging his investments beyond the borderlines of COVID-19 ... best move for hedge fund managers wanting to bet again Tesla shares' price.
They'll lose their shirts if they don't play wise. They'd better recommend Tesla shares if they want to see the light coming up ...

Putter

Forum Donor
The evil that lurks in the hearts of men. In terms of economic impact, the kicker here is that for two decades or so (perhaps not going forward) Hartsfield-Jackson (aka ATL) has been the busiest airport in the world. Now it could become the world’s most potent Covid vector.

https://www.wabe.org/kemp-sues-bottoms-atlanta-city-council-over-mask-mandate/

1594950926068.png

That face requires a caption, like Why did eat that 3 day old meatloaf? Whenever you see an unflattering photo of someone in a news article, I take it as an editorial comment.

maty

Major Contributor
Talking about "Global business, economics" I inform you that I have received genuine POWECOM KN95 masks that I ordered three weeks ago. Since the other Covid-19 thread is closed, I comment it here.

I have a Spanish thread in twitter about the masks:

I do not comment on it anymore... I suppose ;)

Angela Merkel, with POWECOM KN95 mask

Attachments

• Angela Merkel with POWECOM KN95 mask.jpg
    Angela Merkel with POWECOM KN95 mask.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 193
  • POWECOM KN95 mask - chinese first.jpg
    POWECOM KN95 mask - chinese first.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Angela Merkel con mascarilla Powecom KN95 en video de EFE.jpg
    Angela Merkel con mascarilla Powecom KN95 en video de EFE.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 300

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Speaking of the economy in the world ... in face of COVID-19

Which Country Will Triumph in the Post-Pandemic World? Hint: It’s not the United States or China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/19/opinion/coronavirus-germany-economy.html

merlin_174552957_37996b5c-da56-42be-a3c2-ea0d72f225ef-superJumbo.jpg

Workers at the Berlin Brandenburg Airport, which is under construction in Germany. Credit Hayoung Jeon/EPA
"Imagine a country, a major Western economic power, where the coronavirus arrived late but the government, instead of denying and delaying, acted early. It was ready with tests and contact tracing to “flatten the curve” swiftly and limited its death rate to orders of magnitude lower than that of any other major Western industrial nation. Containing the virus allowed for a brief and targeted lockdown, which helped limit unemployment to only 6 percent. Amid a shower of international praise, the country’s boringly predictable leader experienced a huge spike in popular approval, to 70 percent from 40 percent."

merlin_174658104_92c78b2b-1e2c-40a2-89cc-53e9622f4afe-jumbo.jpg

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom