• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering L30 + UMC404HD (desk) and L30 + USB-C Apple dongle (travel/away)

dnovosel

Hi all,

At the moment I'm using either Fiio E17 or Fiio E17 + Fiio E09K or UMC404HD + Fiio E09K as my listening source. However, lately I've been having some issues with the E17k in the dock, and I'm concerned with the higher output impedance against some of my headphones from the E09K.

I am thinking about getting the Topping L30 as a replacement for my main amp given the very favorable reviews, large range (sensitive IEM to high impedance) and small size. And continuing to use my UMC404HD as the main DAC for it.

However, my main question is when I'm away from my main computer, around the house or when travelling (as in take to the new location and plug in to use), I was thinking it might be nice sometimes to still carry my L30 around. Would driving the L30 from a USB-C Apple dongle be sufficient? It doesn't have a lineout, so I would be driving it through the Apple dongle amp 3.5mm->RCA on the L30s.

Main headphones I rotate through (if this makes any difference):

HD-6xx
AKG K702
ATH-m40x
Sony MDR-V6
Westone UM30Pro
Shure SE215
Korg PortaPros
Various Chifi IEMs
Considering buying the HiFiMan Sundara

Thanks

Edit: Fixed headphone name
Edit2: Clarified usage

Last edited:

highpurityusbcable

Hi all,

At the moment I'm using either Fiio E17 or Fiio E17 + Fiio E09K or UMC404HD + Fiio E09K as my listening source. However, lately I've been having some issues with the E17k in the dock, and I'm concerned with the higher output impedance against some of my headphones from the E09K.

I am thinking about getting the Topping L30 as a replacement for my main amp given the very favorable reviews, large range (sensitive IEM to high impedance) and small size. And continuing to use my UMC404HD as the main DAC for it.

However, my main question is when I'm away from my main computer, around the house or when travelling (as in take to the new location and plug in to use), I was thinking it might be nice sometimes to still carry my L30 around. Would driving the L30 from a USB-C Apple dongle be sufficient? It doesn't have a lineout, so I would be driving it through the Apple dongle amp 3.5mm->RCA on the L30s.

Main headphones I rotate through (if this makes any difference):

HD-6xx
AKG K702
ATH-m40x
Sony MDR-V6
Westone UM30Pro
Shure SE215
Korg PortaPros
Various Chifi IEMs
Considering buying the HiFiMan Sundara

Thanks

Edit: Fixed headphone name
Edit2: Clarified usage
Hi. L30 is too good but there are certain issues with it which you can learn about in a dedicated thread. I recommend waiting a couple of months before buying it or getting something else if your location allows it. As for your case, of course you can carry it around, it's very small, but not in your pocket since it's can be very warm to the touch sometimes. I tried connecting various devices to it via 3.5mm>RCA and all of them worked without problems, including small "dongle" DACs and two players. I am very happy with L30 but it has brought problems to some people and maybe it will to me too, who knows.
But if you really plan to use it while walking around the house then better get something else, much smaller.

OP
D

dnovosel

@highpurityusbcable Thanks for the reply.

As for your case, of course you can carry it around, it's very small, but not in your pocket since it's can be very warm to the touch sometimes.
But if you really plan to use it while walking around the house then better get something else, much smaller.

Just to clarify, the intent was not to carry it around as a portable device, but to bring to new locations easily. For instance, bring it up upstairs to my second computer occasionally, or bring it when I travel and hook up my laptop (or a tablet/phone) to it from the hotel.

Hi. L30 is too good but there are certain issues with it which you can learn about in a dedicated thread.
I am very happy with L30 but it has brought problems to some people and maybe it will to me too, who knows.

What issues are you referring to? I know the initial version had some concerns with damaging headphones, but my understanding is anything with a serial 2012+ should have the issue resolved. Is this the problem you are referring to, or something different?

or getting something else if your location allows it.

I could also get the JDS Atom easily enough (in fact it's a little cheaper). But I like the look of the L30 more.

I had also debated something truly portable (NX4 for example), but between the lack of USB-C on many options, and the limited power output for high impedance (6xx, etc) headphones it seems to limit their use.

highpurityusbcable

@highpurityusbcable Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, the intent was not to carry it around as a portable device, but to bring to new locations easily. For instance, bring it up upstairs to my second computer occasionally, or bring it when I travel and hook up my laptop (or a tablet/phone) to it from the hotel.

What issues are you referring to? I know the initial version had some concerns with damaging headphones, but my understanding is anything with a serial 2012+ should have the issue resolved. Is this the problem you are referring to, or something different?

I could also get the JDS Atom easily enough (in fact it's a little cheaper). But I like the look of the L30 more.

I had also debated something truly portable (NX4 for example), but between the lack of USB-C on many options, and the limited power output for high impedance (6xx, etc) headphones it seems to limit their use.
If you already know about these L30 problems and they don't bother you enough to stop considering the purchase of this amp, then go for it. I think it will be very easy for you to carry it as you wish if you think it's convenient. But there are also reports about electrostatic discharges, maybe carrying it around too much would add some unecessary risks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Leaving aside the current issues regarding the L30- the biggest problem for your semi portable use case is the size and weight of the power brick. Its substantial and heavy and not easy to replace/ duplicate. You wouldnt want it in your day bag travelling to an office or similar. The JDS Atom and I suspect many others have similar issues . These are not just flimsy plastic wallwarts - they are chunky.

OP
D

dnovosel

Leaving aside the current issues regarding the L30- the biggest problem for your semi portable use case is the size and weight of the power brick. Its substantial and heavy and not easy to replace/ duplicate. You wouldnt want it in your day bag travelling to an office or similar. The JDS Atom and I suspect many others have similar issues . These are not just flimsy plastic wallwarts - they are chunky.

That's a good point. I know you can at least buy the JDS ones from their store, but I hadn't fully considered travelling with them. It might be tiresome except for longer trips where it would be worth the extra weight.

The NX4 seems close as an all-in-one device. But the lack of USB-C is an issue, as is the maximum output. If Topping (or someone else) could make a similar device (even if slightly larger) that included USB-C and higher output that might be worth considering. I feel like we are getting close. I know xDuoo has a some products that look promising, but the reviews I've seen for them seem lacking.

I suppose I could get a L30/Atom for my desk (through my UMC404HD as DAC) as a solid keeper amp as they seem to be good enough for any kind of end-game I'm likely to pursue. And then just use the Apple dongle with my IEMs/lower power headphones for now and hope that someone comes up with a portable option that is USB-C and higher power to use for secondary locations.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
D

dnovosel

I wonder if one the semi-portable, usb/battery-powered iFi devices like the iDSD Signature might be good solution for you. It’s predecessor, the iDSD Black Label, was rated highly here. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/

Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion. They are somewhat pricey, and that wonky USB-A connector for input seems a bit strange (especially when they just could have done USB-C). But otherwise it does seem to cross off a lot of my boxes. Will definitely check it out some more.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion. They are somewhat pricey, and that wonky USB-A connector for input seems a bit strange (especially when they just could have done USB-C). But otherwise it does seem to cross off a lot of my boxes. Will definitely check it out some more.
The USB-A connector is specifically designed for the Apple camera adapter. It’s an advantage if you have an iPhone. There is a USB-C connector on the device, but for power only. It’s an unusual combination, but advantageous in certain specific configurations.

The iFi devices are expensive, but also loaded with features. IMO, they’re only a good value if you need their specific set of features. The iDSD Signature (and the older Black Label) has a ton of power for a portable unit, probably the most available in a battery-powered, portable device.

OP
D

dnovosel

The USB-A connector is specifically designed for the Apple camera adapter. It’s an advantage if you have an iPhone. There is a USB-C connector on the device, but for power only. It’s an unusual combination, but advantageous in certain specific configurations.

The iFi devices are expensive, but also loaded with features. IMO, they’re only a good value if you need their specific set of features. The iDSD Signature (and the older Black Label) has a ton of power for a portable unit, probably the most available in a battery-powered, portable device.

Ah, yes, I hadn't considered that adapter. I actually have both the lightning and USB-C versions. Assuming it would work with both, that would be pretty convenient. Those two adapters and I could hook it up to anything I own (with a USB-C cable to charge it).

Well you've definitely given me some things to think about, thanks! (Although my wallet might not say thanks).

Top Bottom