• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting receiver without USB to computer

I need to connect a receiver to a laptop computer for 2.1 audio out, but the receiver doesn’t have USB and the laptop doesn’t have optical or coaxial digital output.

If I get a stereo DAC would it support the subwoofer using the receivers bass management, or would I be better served using some sort of USB to digital audio bridge or DDC?

Is there something fairly inexpensive that would be recommended to complete this task?

Receiver is a Yamaha TSR-7850 if that helps. Thanks!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How about HDMI?

OP
T
How about HDMI?
Whoops, nevermind, laptop doesn’t have display port out, so I need the hdmi out for an external monitor. The port I thought was display port was a USB C I didn’t know it had.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got this to test optical since my mainboard sound didn't have it, and this works and sounds great. It can also do standard 3.5mm sound/mic through the same plug, I just use it for optical though with every DAC I get in to test it. $13 can't beat it.

OP
T
I got this to test optical since my mainboard sound didn't have it, and this works and sounds great. It can also do standard 3.5mm sound/mic through the same plug, I just use it for optical though with every DAC I get in to test it. $13 can't beat it.

Oh, thank you. I wish I’d know about that yesterday haha.

I ended up ordering a Topping D10s since it acts like a digital bridge as well as a DAC. Also picked up another hdmi cable just in case I can run from my laptop to the receiver and receiver to the external monitor. I know it works that way for TVs, but I don’t know if it’ll sync for PC monitor use well that way or not or if it will reduce chroma and make text bad.

Top Bottom