• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting Preamp to AVR, does avr have to be on bypass mode?

blestin

I want to connect a preamp to my Denon 3700, but I want to continue using Audyssey. I am not sure if that is possible, does the avr need to be in bypass mode when connecting to a Topping Pre90 preamp?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not clear what you want to do, whether it is connect a preamp before the Denon or afterwards, using the Denon front pre-outs as one of the preamp inputs to have a separate HT and stereo system (as I do). If it is the former, why do you need a preamp, as I assume the Denon has enough analog inputs. All you would do is choose a suitable stereo mode that still engages the DSP so Audyssey is used.

IF the latter, you could only use Audyssey when using the "AVR" input of the preamp.

OP
B

blestin

I would like to connect the Denon pre-out to Topping Pre-amp and then Topping xlr out to an amp.

Last edited:
OP
B

blestin

It's not clear what you want to do, whether it is connect a preamp before the Denon or afterwards, using the Denon front pre-outs as one of the preamp inputs to have a separate HT and stereo system (as I do). If it is the former, why do you need a preamp, as I assume the Denon has enough analog inputs. All you would do is choose a suitable stereo mode that still engages the DSP so Audyssey is used.

IF the latter, you could only use Audyssey when using the "AVR" input of the preamp.

I would like to connect the Denon pre-out to Topping Pre-amp and then Topping xlr out to an amp

I am trying to find out if I can still use Audyssey or if the AVR must be in bypass mode to connect to the Topping pre-amp.

The purpose of the preamp is convert the unbalanced signal from the Denon avr to balanced before connecting it an external amp

dougi

Ahh OK, you should be able to retain Audyssey for the pre-outs easily. My AVR certainly does that. Of course you are likely to need to adjust the front speaker levels again due to potential changed gain structure from using the preamp.

OP
B

blestin

Thank you, do you think I will get audible benefit from doing this besides gain from the preamp?

Seems like the only benefit would be gain and less distortion/sinad at higher volumes.

dougi

Perhaps. It's probably worth calculating expected levels through your chain for your typical listening levels, for both setups and using that to decide which is best for you. I have a small theoretical issue where my AVR preouts are relatively poor into the 10k ohm input load of my preamp at high volumes. I have tried buffers etc which helped but gave up as the only issue is at >-10dB AVR volume level. I never listen that loud so not a problem in practice.

OP
B

blestin

I just found out that the topping 90 preamp has a input impedance of 2kohm. I think this might be an issue with a denon receiver.

dougi

It may or may not be, especially if you can turn the power amps completely off. Which you can I think for the 3700 for the fronts going by Amir's review. After my experience though be a bit wary.

OP
B

blestin

Maybe someone can chime in and clarify this before I order the Topping Pre90

Top Bottom