• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting NAS and DAC using SPDIF

abhi8569

Greetings to all,

I am currently using an Asustor Flashstor 6 as an Audio playback server, which is equipped with both USB and Toslink output. When I connect the NAS to my Topping Dx7 pro+ via USB, it works perfectly. Both HiRes player and SoundsGood recognize the DAC and allow me to play directly from the NAS.

However, I encounter difficulties when attempting to connect using an optical cable. The connection at the NAS end is not secure, and the NAS fails to detect the DAC. Even after replacing the NAS, the cable still doesn't seem to fit properly at the NAS end. Despite my efforts to push it in fully, it remains loose. Should I consider using a different cable? This is the cable I am using right now.

I am open to any other suggestions or solutions to this problem.

As this is my first experience with an optical connection, it is entirely possible that I might be making a mistake.

I appreciate any assistance or advice you may provide. Thank you!

PS: As I am already using USB input of DAC for my Office and Laptop laptop, I am inclined toward the using the SPDIF.

Last edited:

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Greetings to all,

I am currently using an Asustor Flashstor 6 as an Audio playback server, which is equipped with both USB and Toslink output. When I connect the NAS to my Topping Dx7 pro+ via USB, it works perfectly. Both HiRes player and SoundsGood recognize the DAC and allow me to play directly from the NAS.

However, I encounter difficulties when attempting to connect using an optical cable. The connection at the NAS end is not secure, and the NAS fails to detect the DAC. Even after replacing the NAS, the cable still doesn't seem to fit properly at the NAS end. Despite my efforts to push it in fully, it remains loose. Should I consider using a different cable? This is the cable I am using right now.

I am open to any other suggestions or solutions to this problem.

As this is my first experience with an optical connection, it is entirely possible that I might be making a mistake.

I appreciate any assistance or advice you may provide. Thank you!
Is there a reason why you don't continue to use the USB connection?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your link to the cable does not seem to work, but one of these should work:

1691679174121.jpeg

Maybe you already broke the port? It can at times be a fiddly connector...

But if USB works, why not just use that?

OP
A

abhi8569

Your link to the cable does not seem to work, but one of these should work:

View attachment 304871

Maybe you already broke the port? It can at times be a fiddly connector...

But if USB works, why not just use that?
I have updated the link. I am indeed using the same cable. I thought same for the first one but then I tried with new NAS and I have the same issue. Both the times I made sure to hold the SPDIF port from inside of the case so that I am not breaking the port.

Regarding using USB: am already using USB input of DAC to connect to my Home and Office laptops using KVM (integrated into my Monitor).

Everett T

Forum Donor
I am already using USB input of DAC to connect to my Home and Office laptops using KVM (integrated into my Monitor).
If you have broken the optical output on the NAS, repair shouldn't too difficult and am assuming you had used it successfully in the past. Another option would be to use the coax input of the DAC from the laptop (I'm assuming that the headphone jack doubles as a digital connection) and you can get USB to AES adapter and connect one that way, freeing up the NAS for USB.

OP
A

abhi8569

If you have broken the optical output on the NAS, repair shouldn't too difficult and am assuming you had used it successfully in the past. Another option would be to use the coax input of the DAC from the laptop (I'm assuming that the headphone jack doubles as a digital connection) and you can get USB to AES adapter and connect one that way, freeing up the NAS for USB.
I am pretty sure the port is not broken. I never had luck with using optical with NAS.

I am not sure if I can use Headphone jack to connect with the coax. Isn't headphone jack supposed to provide analog output?

My NAS have a HDMI port but I am not sure if that can be used with DAC. IIS does look like HDMI but I thought they use different protocol.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most toslink ports only work in one plug orientation. So the plug only goes in one way. Try rotating it 90 or 180 deg. Some ports actually work with two orientations..

Also, the plug should lock in place. Does it lock?

Everett T

Forum Donor
I am pretty sure the port is not broken. I never had luck with using optical with NAS.

I am not sure if I can use Headphone jack to connect with the coax. Isn't headphone jack supposed to provide analog output?

My NAS have a HDMI port but I am not sure if that can be used with DAC. IIS does look like HDMI but I thought they use different protocol.
On the laptops I've owned the "headphone" 3.5mm output can be toggled between analog and digital output in the control panel.

OP
A

abhi8569

On the laptops I've owned the "headphone" 3.5mm output can be toggled between analog and digital output in the control panel.
In that case I"ll have to check if my Monitor (which acts as KVM) support digital out from 3.5mm as it would me much easier yo then use the DAC with multiple devices. I'll check that.

Thank you very much for your input!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a nice NAS! https://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=79

I'm surprised there's not been more discussion of it on ASR given it's all flash and it's media capabilities as a Roon server, etc. The Toslink connector on the back looks pretty standard...

1691684972805.png

The green bit is a door that folds out the way when you put the plug in. You do have to have the plug up the right way and the plug should click in fairly positively (and shouldn't fall out). This plug is oriented correctly to go in the socket...

1691685174082.jpeg

Note that the socket on the Asustor is upside down.

OP
A

abhi8569

That's a nice NAS! https://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=79

I'm surprised there's not been more discussion of it on ASR given it's all flash and it's media capabilities as a Roon server, etc. The Toslink connector on the back looks pretty standard...

View attachment 304888

The green bit is a door that folds out the way when you put the plug in. You do have to have the plug up the right way and the plug should click in fairly positively (and shouldn't fall out). This plug is oriented correctly to go in the socket...

View attachment 304889

Note that the socket on the Asustor is upside down.
I am doing it right. But still it is very loose. I do hear a click. As I have already tried this with two different unit with same result, probably it's the issue with their lineup.

staticV3

Master Contributor
However, I encounter difficulties when attempting to connect using an optical cable. The connection at the NAS end is not secure, and the NAS fails to detect the DAC.
Just FYI, with a Toslink connection between source and DAC, the source (in this case you NAS) has no idea if something is connected to the other end of the Toslink cable, or what it is that's connected.
It does not and can not detect your DAC, because unlike USB, Toslink is entirely one-way.

Your NAS just flashes the Toslink LED that's built into the port and the rest is none of it's business, so to say.

OP
A

abhi8569

Just FYI, with a Toslink connection between source and DAC, the source (in this case you NAS) has no idea if something is connected to the other end of the Toslink cable, or what it is that's connected.
It does not and can not detect your DAC, because unlike USB, Toslink is entirely one-way.

Your NAS just flashes the Toslink LED that's built into the port and the rest is none of it's business, so to say

Thank you very much for your response. I learned something new today.

But in that case how will NAS even know which DAC is connected to it? It always shows no player when connected using SPDIF. But it shows the DAC when I connect using USB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-003740.png
    Screenshot_20230811-003740.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20230811-003740.png
    Screenshot_20230811-003740.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
A

abhi8569

Can you see light coming from the led when you plug in the cable ?
I can't see any light coming from the optical cable. I made sure that the music is playing and SPDIF output is selected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-004308.png
    Screenshot_20230811-004308.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 37

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom