• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audio Having Hiccups

LuckyLyndy

My desktop system: HP Z400 workstation, Creative Soundblaster SB 1500, Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, Energy Baby speakers. Windows 10 Pro.
Problem: I am getting random sound changes. I play a video clip and the first segment sounds fantastic. The second clip is muffled.
Example:
The first part sounds just fine. The next part is muffled
And, I just played the soundtrack to 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. The first cut, Cannonball Adderley "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!' is perfect sounding. But the next cut of Elmore James, 'Dust my Broom' is muffled. It was FLAC files, using Media Monkey. I will go try it again, using VLC. Same problem. And this is random in the sense that the next cut is back to normal.
I checked off the boxes on both Windows 10 and the sound card for just stereo, no enhancement, no 3D sound, etc.
I am wondering if there is different codecs, but I have only had that problem with video data.
Any troubleshoot ideas/paths?
Lyndon

OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

I can't remember, but doesn't Media Monkey have some sort of auto level-matching?

Jim
Jim,
I don't know. But I was able to repeat the problem using VLC. I wonder if I should try uninstalling the sound card drivers, and installing them again. The physical wires are all correctly placed. It is frustrating, as when all is working, it is great sounding, but when it switches, it sounds like I am hearing the music through a long tube. I feel like Dave in the movie 2001. "Dave, I think you should put back the unit, see if it fails"
"Open the pod doors, Hal."

Last edited:

MachOne

Can you record it so we can hear it? A common thing to happen is the ground of a stereo TRS connector to drop intermittently and you just get the stereo "difference" between the two, which sounds weird with all mono content partially or fully cancelled. It might not be the media codec change triggering a bad connection, but rather just a change in level or bass content. Anyway, just something to check.

OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

Can you record it so we can hear it? A common thing to happen is the ground of a stereo TRS connector to drop intermittently and you just get the stereo "difference" between the two, which sounds weird with all mono content partially or fully cancelled. It might not be the media codec change triggering a bad connection, but rather just a change in level or bass content. Anyway, just something to check.
MachOne,
I don't know how to record it. It does bug me that on the sound card I have to use a splitter. You have one output jack that has to be split into right and left channels. I don't know if that could be a problem.

MachOne

MachOne,
I don't know how to record it. It does bug me that on the sound card I have to use a splitter. You have one output jack that has to be split into right and left channels. I don't know if that could be a problem.
I'd definitely try it without the splitter and see if the problem goes away or changes. How is it all connected through the splitter?

OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

Without the splitter? The Fosi chip amp only takes analog input R/L
The Creative Soundblaster has one analog output for L/R output. Jack "D"
1693182782812.png

MachOne

Without the splitter? The Fosi chip amp only takes analog input R/L
The Creative Soundblaster has one analog output for L/R output. Jack "D"
View attachment 308245

Sorry, bit confused. Perhaps by "splitter" you mean 3.5mm TRS to 2xRCA? Normally the term splitter means something else, like a TRS to 2xTRS etc where you want to feed two things from one source in a janky way. What you have sounds like a normal jack to rca cable. I'd try a new cable for sure.

Last edited:
OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

Sorry, bit confused. Perhaps by "splitter" you mean 3.5mm TRS to 2xRCA? Normally the term splitter means something else, like a TRS to 2xTRS etc where you want to feed two things from one source in a janky way. What you have sounds like a normal jack to rca cable. I'd try a new cable for sure.
Yes, it's getting late. I am currently taking out the new Fosi, and trying to see what the Realtek drivers are doing on the mobo. This sure has been the opposite of plug and play. :0)
And...I plugged my headphones directly into the sound card, and all was fine, pointing to the multi-channel as the problem, again. I took out the card, reset it, and for now, I am back to glorious 2 channel sound. Good grief. Well, I am going to celebrate, no matter how late at night it is!

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's getting late. I am currently taking out the new Fosi, and trying to see what the Realtek drivers are doing on the mobo. This sure has been the opposite of plug and play. :0)
And...I plugged my headphones directly into the sound card, and all was fine, pointing to the multi-channel as the problem, again. I took out the card, reset it, and for now, I am back to glorious 2 channel sound. Good grief. Well, I am going to celebrate, no matter how late at night it is!

It does sound like you have a dodgy connection somewhere. It could be the cable, but it would also be worth inspecting the Soundblaster for dry joints. Do you get any crackling sounds when you wiggle the cable?

OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

It does sound like you have a dodgy connection somewhere. It could be the cable, but it would also be worth inspecting the Soundblaster for dry joints. Do you get any crackling sounds when you wiggle the cable?
You are probably right. But after reseating the card, and figuring out how to stop the soundcard app from defaulting to multi-channel (a curse on you gamers!), I am in heaven with good sound! And it was ASR members who put me down the path of multi-channel problems.

Last edited:

Punter

Here's one that foxed me at work for a while and is specific to Windows. If you RIGHT click your speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen, choose "Sounds", then "Communications" tab. You'll get this menu. The default is to have the speaker volume "duck" when the mic picks up a signal. This can actually be from your speakers so the thing will duck the speakers in response to a signal from the speakers. To switch this off (and it seems to be on by default) set the "Do Nothing" radio button.
Sounds-Communications.PNG

Top Bottom