• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

compressor schematic/design for guitar

radix

Major Contributor
I'd like to build a compressor for bass guitar. I'm thinking of doing a JFET variable resistor and opamp design. Does anyone have a favorite compressor design or schematic for electric guitar or bass?

Yes, I know I can buy some for $25, but I'd like to tinker.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Have you looked at the Engineer's Thumb?
I was able to order the PCB from OSH Park fro $26 for 3 boards using the Gerber files on the web site. We'll see how it goes. First time using OSH. good price, but takes a bit as they need to fill out a full panel before cutting it up.

I'll post the extras for sale once I get one assembled.

I was able to get all the parts from Mouser. They had the transconductance amp chip in DIP.

AlfaNovember

The sunsetting of DIP packaging is going to be the end of us amateur solder slingers, eh? I built an ET using Merlin's now-discontinued board; it worked well but as a couch noodler I've found I don't use it much.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
The sunsetting of DIP packaging is going to be the end of us amateur solder slingers, eh? I built an ET using Merlin's now-discontinued board; it worked well but as a couch noodler I've found I don't use it much.
I've seen guys do SMT really well using flux + small solder "spot joint" to fix the part in place, then solder pins. Even doing 100-pin packages and the super tiny parts. And they are pretty fast. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get a surface mount board and parts and practice.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've seen guys do SMT really well using flux + small solder "spot joint" to fix the part in place, then solder pins. Even doing 100-pin packages and the super tiny parts. And they are pretty fast. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get a surface mount board and parts and practice.
You can get cheap practice kits on Amazon and Ebay:

rationaltime

How do you solder BGA s at home?

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor

Ixnay

I really like the Madbean Afterlife but the site says "Sold Out" for the kits. All the data is still there.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
For my DIY guitar amp I used a That Corp IC. Sota. Lots of compressor designs here. https://thatcorp.com/pedal-page/
And it was SMD. I soldered it to a smd to dip adapter, wasn't hard.

Attachments

• comp top.jpg
    comp top.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 16
OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
I was able to order the PCB from OSH Park fro $26 for 3 boards using the Gerber files on the web site. We'll see how it goes. First time using OSH. good price, but takes a bit as they need to fill out a full panel before cutting it up.

I'll post the extras for sale once I get one assembled.

I was able to get all the parts from Mouser. They had the transconductance amp chip in DIP.

I got the boards from OSH Park. I placed the order on 3/25, and it was upgraded to a "swift" fab on 3/26. Someone else ordered a swift, and they were able to fit my layout in that same fab order. No extra cost. It shipped on 4/1 and I received it on 4/5, via standard post office shipping. Total time: 11 days. For $26, not bad, IMO.

Here's some photos of a partially assembled board.

IMG_0331.png

IMG_0332.png

Top Bottom