• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compression Drivers for Music at Home?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Andrew Jones ( once) of TAD told me that TAD's own compresssion drivers were too expensive to use for TAD's loudspeakers.
Keith

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Andrew Jones ( once) of TAD told me that TAD's own compresssion drivers were too expensive to use for TAD's loudspeakers.
Keith

I'd believe it. I think they're $2k-$3k just for the drivers.

I think they're targeted at cinema, but I can't think of any movie theater I've been to that has such fancy custom-made speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ralph of Cessaro buys the majority of their output, he has more stock than the factory.
Keith

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wouldn't agree about only being concerned about power response, neither in sound reinforcement (where stearable line-arrays are common), nor in mastering settings. In fact the JBL EON PA series uses the more recent waveguides and they make a point of showing the dispersion.

As for what I saw, these are studio monitors, so form factors are different.

The control room used ATC SCM 45A Pro on the bridge and soffit-mounted ATC SCM 110 ASL Pro for mid-field / main monitors, both fairly large:

SCM45A-Pro-3-4-transparent-background-1024x665.png

ATC-SCM110ASL-Pro.png

The mixing studio used Dynaudio Air 20 as nearfield monitors:

dynaudio-air-20-slave-monitor-single-uae-abu-dhabi-price-aed-16-400-a15.jpg

Putting aside "unusual" companies like JBL that take a design route that mirrors their research, I'm speaking in general that the vast majority of recording and mastering guys I know are primarily looking for flat on axis response and everything else is secondary. You can see this in the Gearslutz high end subforum as well. I include ATC in the properly designed and marketed category so they get a pass.

No pro audio magazine I know of bothers with off axis either, while even the big audiophile magazine, Stereophile, includes them. Outside of ATC, JBL and maybe a couple of other companies I personally wouldn't go near pro audio for non nearfield home hi-fi.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Putting aside "unusual" companies like JBL that take a design route that mirrors their research, I'm speaking in general that the vast majority of recording and mastering guys I know are primarily looking for flat on axis response and everything else is secondary. You can see this in the Gearslutz high end subforum as well. I include ATC in the properly designed and marketed category so they get a pass.

No pro audio magazine I know of bothers with off axis either, while even the big audiophile magazine, Stereophile, includes them. Outside of ATC, JBL and maybe a couple of other companies I personally wouldn't go near pro audio for non nearfield home hi-fi.

Eve Audio publishes polar response graphs for all of their monitors.

I assume they do it because at least some of their audience cares.

Top Bottom