• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combined Streamer & DAC suggestions?

StuartC

Forum Donor
Hello All, I'm looking for suggestions for a combined Streamer & DAC for desktop listening in the ~£500 range. I've looked at a number of options which are well regarded and/or measure well, but most are in the >£1000 range (MiniDSP SHD, Naim Uniti etc)

Anyone got any good suggestions?

OP
StuartC

StuartC

Forum Donor
Not so far, what I'm looking for is a one box solution. Mainly for space purposes; real estate on my desktop is at a premium.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Something like this?

OP
StuartC

StuartC

Forum Donor
I had looked at this since it measured well, but I spend my working life dealing with SW and active control systems. I really begrudge giving up my free time to have to learn how to manage yet another controller. I'm really keen on a mainstream offering, plug & play with little effort required on my behalf.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here you are. It also got a great review

Stickler1

Here you are. It also got a great review

Except for that Allo has no dedicated player software. Good luck with that. You have to spend money OR time. No free lunch. WiiM crap will not play local files if you have any.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except for that Allo has no dedicated player software. Good luck with that. You have to spend money OR time. No free lunch. WiiM crap will not play local files if you have any.
Dietpi plus others are free and kept up to date.

OP
StuartC

StuartC

Forum Donor
I think I'm just going to wait until the whole chip shortage thing sorts itself out, and then stump up the cash for a minidsp SHD.

OP
StuartC

StuartC

Forum Donor
Stream 3 looks interesting. And reading one of the other threads with the designer commenting, it looks like they know what they're up to.

Also, the SHD thread has put me off the minidsp...

Stickler1

I think I'm just going to wait until the whole chip shortage thing sorts itself out, and then stump up the cash for a minidsp SHD.
I have a Studio. It's a fine unit that does more things than you might use. It has a custom build of Volumio built in that is easy enough to operate quickly.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having looked for this before I'm going to say if you want one box, get a Raspberry Pi-like device or miniPC and then a small or even dongle DAC and then put them in one box. But really, two small boxes on top of each other aren't going to eat more room. Actual one-box solutions are generally a big compromise on one or both parts.

Adaboy4z

A mini pc is a great idea. Small enough to fit in hand and behind a monitor. Picked up a Beelink SER5 on Amazon on sale.

WillBrink

Have you looked at Arylic? Small, reasonably priced, range of options and $, and very compact:

I'm using the S50 Pro+ in my budget system currently.

Stickler1

Have you looked at Arylic? Small, reasonably priced, range of options and $, and very compact:

I'm using the S50 Pro+ in my budget system currently.

Top Bottom