• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

amicusterrae

Quick plug for my long-time favorite mail order beans: https://www.jbccoffeeroasters.com/ (also enjoy https://www.kumacoffee.com/). Lots of ultra light roasts for a bright, tart cup! I brew press pot every morning (5 scoops of beans for 16 ounces of water) but have had happy results with an aeropress, via the inverted method and a fine mesh stainless steel filter, as well as with a pour over with a fine mesh gold-tone filter. For my tastes, paper filters out too much of the oils.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't a great fan when I owned a Vertuo. I prefer a pour over for a long coffee as it's easier to vary strength.

I need to get the caffeine into my system as fast as possible and with minimal motor pattern usage... hence the pods. I actually put the pods in the machine and pour milk into the frother at night (which goes in the fridge).

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need to get the caffeine into my system as fast as possible and with minimal motor pattern usage... hence the pods. I actually put the pods in the machine and pour milk into the frother at night (which goes in the fridge).
Fair point. I use the original Nespresso pods for convenience when making espresso based drinks, so I definitely know what you mean.

EB1000

Coffee contains significant amounts of acrylamide, a known carcinogen. I'd avoided it in any form...

Jdunk54nl

Coffee contains significant amounts of acrylamide, a known carcinogen. I'd avoided it in any form...
You must avoid nearly everything then....I know of very little things that can't be somehow linked back to causing cancer.
The device you are using to read and post on this site can be linked back to causing cancer in some way.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/acrylamide-in-coffee#harmfulness

Here is a report on known carcinogens...try finding stuff without at least one of these things in it.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

BostonJack

Editor
Coffee is the elixir of life! I consume regular drip made coffees, whatever random brand strikes my fancy at Whole Foods.
I am developing a strange desire to buy an Italian expresso machine for home. My fear is that my love of dirty Chai lattes plus the ready means of making them would result in my physical and moral collapse.

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone like cold brew? (No I'm not talking about iced coffee or cold coffee).

Makes heat produced coffee taste like bitter/leftover acidic garbage in my mouth by comparison (Unless you drench it with sugar/cream/milk/etc..)

Jdunk54nl

Reactions: Tks

escape2

Makes heat produced coffee taste like bitter/leftover acidic garbage in my mouth by comparison (Unless you drench it with sugar/cream/milk/etc..)
Tried it. Didn't care for it. Takes too long to make, and I can achieve similar levels of low bitterness/acidity by using the right beans and pulling a short espresso shot.

Reactions: Tks

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Big fan. I especially like how some light roasts take on rich currant flavours with it.

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor

Can cold brew be heated if one prefers a hot beverage?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I now have to resist the urge to buy a goose neck kettle. I suspect that I am one gadget away from a divorce!

The induction Fellow Stagg looks great on a kitchen counter...

Also, an espresso shot (I normally use the purple Peet’s Nespresso capsules) poured over a 150mL can of Fevertree tonic is the perfect afternoon worktail.

Vuki

Drip coffee in the morning (because the machine has timer) and espresso (Vibiemme Piccolo machine). I like robust dark roasts and Lavazza Crema e Gusto (Forte) is my long time favourite.

Sugarbubble

My wife makes it!! She is Italian. She uses a local roast called Rise Up that is made on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I don't mess with the coffee maker myself, except to sometimes yell at it when it is out of coffee.

She makes some of the best coffee I have ever had outside of Austria. For some reason those Austrians OWN coffee making. I am told it was the Turkish influence during the Hapsburg reign, but I have no care to find out the truth.

Top Bottom