• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

egellings

Major Contributor
I use a Melior plunger pot for beans I grind in a Quaker City QB mill, which resembles a hand-cranked meat grinder that could be attached to the kitchen table. It has metal burrs and does a good job, and I can adjust the distance between the burrs to change the grind coarseness. Works like a charm, and I'll never wear it out.

MrPotatoHead

The Confluence of Audio and Coffee, cont: Shortly after the power switch died on my espresso machine and I gave it the spa treatment, the gears on my Baratza Sette 270Wi grinder blew up (2020 persists, apparently). That grinder is notoriously loud and harsh sounding so while I had it apart, I decided to add some sound dampening materials that I already had lying around (those white felt hoops were already there). I didn't worry about keeping the small rear vent uncovered since I rarely grind twice in a row.

The overall dB level is much reduced and the glaring, brittle highs have now been tamed. While the low end still lacks presence and authority, there's a palpable sense of bean shearing that is more than lifelike, even in its monaural presentation. 3.5-stars

grinder-IMG_20210203_164640.JPG

grinder-IMG_20210203_172626.JPG

grinder-IMG_20210203_172040.JPG

samwell7

3 cups a day
Beans: local roasted, pretty light roast
Grinder: Sunbeam cafe series conical burr
Method: I use a bialetti moka pot
No sugar, no milk.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Confluence of Audio and Coffee, cont: Shortly after the power switch died on my espresso machine and I gave it the spa treatment, the gears on my Baratza Sette 270Wi grinder blew up (2020 persists, apparently). That grinder is notoriously loud and harsh sounding so while I had it apart, I decided to add some sound dampening materials that I already had lying around (those white felt hoops were already there). I didn't worry about keeping the small rear vent uncovered since I rarely grind twice in a row.

The overall dB level is much reduced and the glaring, brittle highs have now been tamed. While the low end still lacks presence and authority, there's a palpable sense of bean shearing that is more than lifelike, even in its monaural presentation. 3.5-stars

View attachment 111481

View attachment 111482

View attachment 111483

Double blind test or it never happened ;-)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My current go-to beans when I don't feel like ordering online:

w6a0Jiyl.jpg

For grocery store bought beans, they're very fresh - just picked up a bag yesterday, and it was roasted only a week ago. Ferris is a local roastery here, so that's why they can get their beans on store shelves quickly. All other beans on the shelf are months old or don't indicate "roasted on" date at all.

Pretty good flavors, too. 70% Brazil Cerrado and 30% Costa Rica Montañas del Diamante.

nobodynoz

If you're living in Montréal, Québec you're lucky... I've been many times to the roaster AGGA and the beans they are selling under the name "Romana" are giving one of the best coffee I have had/tasted so far.
The two brothers AGGA DO KNOW coffee. I know them, I talked with them, I was in Africa when they were living in Africa and their father was an expert in coffee.

AGGA Coffee. (in French or English)

Last edited:

eycatcher

Daily:

Bean: Don Pablo Signature Blend
Grinder: Vitamix to medium/coarse grind
Pot: Bodum French Press
Aroma Electic Kettle & spring water
3 scoops fresh grind per cup touch of organic ceylon cinnamon, add 190-195 degree water steep 3-4 min
Organic Valley Grass fed whole milk and 1 tsp local raw buckwheat honey to taste

Occasion:

Pot: 8-10 cup Stainless Italian stove top moka espresso maker
Grind: Medaglia D Oro can espresso coffee and cold spring water heat till completion
pour into demitasse cup leave room for additive: Hiram Walker Annisette or Romana Sambuca
lemon rind twist optional

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
Previously posted on here about by Sage Nespresso Creatista, which I love.

Recently I've also been enjoying the simple pleasure of a freshly ground pour over. The opposite end from the pre-packaged Nespresso way of doing things. I now have to resist the urge to buy a goose neck kettle. I suspect that I am one gadget away from a divorce!

Hephaestus

Capture.png

I have been using this for over an year. Great espresso once you learn the routine.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, Mellita pourovers, several times a day. I like a good blond roast, but I simply don't have time or inclination to do my own roasting and blond is too picky. So, I drink dark roast, and often make pourover coffee using espresso with a fine grind.

My coffee-snob friends think I'm a Philistine. I can live with it. I even buy coffee beans from Starbucks from time to time.

Rick "strong and dark" Denney

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I always considered myself impervious to advertising, but (which means I'm not impervious to advertising) I had to try out Don Pablo coffee when a local bicyclists was sponsored by them (the kid was on his bike morning, noon and night, so his shirt was always around town). It is now my go to coffee when I'm not in the mood for an espresso or something else.

Conical burr grinder is important for anyone who likes good coffee, but I'm no coffee snob. I'll use my Cuisinart to brew up a batch when I'm too lazy to use the french press.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How good is the coffee in the Nespresso Vertuo pods?

I see that they do not offer Peets, which is my go to for the Keurig pods.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I believe the same as the original style pods. More than good enough for a decent morning cappuccino and the odd espresso. Especially in lock down times

Sukie

Forum Donor

I wasn't a great fan when I owned a Vertuo. I prefer a pour over for a long coffee as it's easier to vary strength.

Top Bottom