• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was a happy user of Jura E8. Last week I replaced it with GIGA 6. Extremely happy.
:)
I drink Flat White during the day, an Espresso at the evening, along with my favourite tipple:
WutDa****?

202304_R2R.jpg

I know, I know! :oops:
You traded up because the new Giga6, looks like a futuristic B&O Reel-to-Reel or a fancy dual-CD deck:D.

I am looking into your future, in my crystal ball:
I see you finding even a better [?] espresso machine, but my crystal does not tell me what you'd call that third one, after happy/extremely happy/???

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WutDa****?

View attachment 280709
I know, I know! :oops:
You traded up because the new Giga6, looks like a futuristic B&O Reel-to-Reel or a fancy dual-CD deck:D.

I am looking into your future, in my crystal ball:
I see you finding even a better [?] espresso machine, but my crystal does not tell me what you'd call that third one, after happy/extremely happy/???
But how could I resisted this explanation?

The impressive quality of the iconic new automatic coffee machine is emphasised by the solid front section made of 3 mm-thick aluminium and the weighty aroma preservation cover made of chrome-plated, die-cast zinc.

I mean look at that panel thickness! :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
J.O.E.?

I have finally realized that I am an espresso 'cheapskate'; both in the wallet, as well as in taste-buds.
For a few years, we've been pulling manual-shots from a LaPavoni lever machine.
There is zero incentive for us to spend any more than $15/pound (2023 dollars) for coffee beans.
Yet, neither of us pretend to have sophisticated enough taste-buds to differentiate subtle nuances as the price of beans increase.:(

Our 'baseline-standard' were established over decades of being daily StarBucks patrons.:eek:
We are now in our "extremely happy" stage (re:*$s).

Soundstage

I was a happy user of Jura E8. Last week I replaced it with GIGA 6. Extremely happy.

If you don’t know Jura, they are the Nagra of coffee machines :)

I drink Flat White during the day, an Espresso at the evening, along with my favourite tipple:

What are the improvement of the Giga 6 over the E8? I own a Jura Ena 9 and it works like a charm. The aroma boost delivers great expresso and the cappuccino are good as well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone prefers Robusta single origin beans over Arabica beans here? I’m absolutely smitten with Robusta with AeroPress!

IMG_7833.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Robusta single origin..
Single origin or not: have you ever found any Robusta that is NOT a dark roast.
I've given it 2 tries and my taste buds found the bitterness overloading any other tastes but that is personal.
I hear there is an increase in demand for Robusta.

We surprisingly liked some Brazillian "peaberry" we tried (3-week old medium roast @$13/lb)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've given it 2 tries and my taste buds found the bitterness overloading any other tastes but that is personal.

We surprisingly liked some Brazillian "peaberry" we tried (3-week old medium roast @$13/lb)

Never seen one. It would probably taste dull on medium roast as it lacks the acidity to extract the complexity out of it. In my home country (Philippines) we primarily plant Robusta due to tropical hot and humid climate and we roast everything dark. I myself have been into coffee tasting just a few years ago and back then I was extremely satisfied 3-in-one instant coffee since the brewed coffee tasted very bitter even with sugar and milk. I could count to ten on how many times I've drank ground Robusta coffee brew and always felt that it tasted burnt and bitter due to how local baristas brew those coffee (on a pot with boiling water and just dump the ground coffee and stir for 5 minutes) exactly described here: https://coffeesmiley.com/kapeng-barako-history-and-step-by-step-preparation-guide/ (Filipino coffee that is sold mostly in the open air markets is NOT Liberica coffee anymore unlike what the article described as local roasters have switched to Robusta years ago primarily due to difficulties growing Liberica trees.

In the past 3 years, a friend of mine introduced me to the world of Nespresso original line and have used that exclusively (you'll see some of my posts back with just Nespresso). That's where I've gained experience in coffee tasting. However, I've decided to finally start brewing myself to explore a new world of coffee and what a better way to practice that using dirt cheap roasted coffee bean from my local market which I didn't know back then it was Robusta until I talked to the seller and that's when I started to research. Got fascinated with Aeropress and with just the first brew ever, I never imagined that the same bean that tasted so bitter when brewed traditionally tasted amazing! (for a Robusta) with chocolate notes and nuts without the bitterness overpowering everything. Right now I'm very happy with the results. It will serve as my morning coffee boost while I sip some good arabica beans from Colombia on my afternoon time, and alternate that with Nespresso as Americano

dfuller

Major Contributor

It exists, but it's rare. Doesn't add much, it still tastes like rubber.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it still tastes like rubber
Cubans have a cure for that called espuma (or espumita).
------------------------------------------
I worked as a machinist for a year to afford college.
Most of the grunts were Spanish immigrants and there was this old machine operator, waaaay back in the far corner of the factory floor.
He would make café cubano, everyday at 1500Hours for his posse.
Perfect time of the 12-hour shift for a caffeine jolt!
Management had told him that he could no longer use his hot-plate because of 'insurance reasons [bullcrap]'.
I saw an opportunity and told the shop foreman that their 5-minute gathering was a social event for them and it should not be banned.
I became an honorary invitee for the 30mL -- daily maximum recommended dosage -- of Cuban jolt.
Cuban espresso
Cafecito
Colada
Copa tacita
Pocillo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It exists, but it's rare. Doesn't add much, it still tastes like rubber.

Taste Pallet is just like sound signature preference :). Not sure if my coworkers don't want to hurt my feelings lol, but they told me the Robusta from AeroPress isn't as bitter as mentioned online and that none of them mentioned rubber taste

On other side of the spectrum, do you guys think it's worth to splurge on Panama Gesha beans?

Moonhead

Taste Pallet is just like sound signature preference :). Not sure if my coworkers don't want to hurt my feelings lol, but they told me the Robusta from AeroPress isn't as bitter as mentioned online and that none of them mentioned rubber taste

On other side of the spectrum, do you guys think it's worth to splurge on Panama Gesha beans?
Almost everything is better than Robusta beans ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Geshas aren't really my thing, they are intensely floral and that's just not what I'm after in coffee. I find myself preferring Caturras and Pink Bourbons over most things. Also - Kenyan SL28s are amazing if you like berries.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went from a Cuisinart “K-Cup” pod coffee maker to a cheap Bella Pro “Best Buy” pourover type using Ruta Maya Organic whole beans ground by a cheap proctor/silex grinder.

It’s less convenient but seems better. :cool:
1D025CFA-8EA9-447D-8514-10EB19F4FBB2.jpeg

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been given some flavoured o_O :facepalm: Tchibo capsules lately, I don't have suitable machine so I opened them and prepared via standard manual presso :)
Namely I had Espresso with "Rasperry/white choc, Irish cream, Roasted nut, Tiramisu and Amarettini flavors".. :rolleyes:

2023-05-23 10_54_15-Cafissimo Kaffeekapseln Espresso, Caffè Crema _ TCHIBO — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

coffee-pitch-black.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:facepalm: That one really deserves a mr. yuk face.
Just signed up for one of these:
Inexpensive for a kickstarter; looks like a metal Aeropress?
Still waiting on the previous KS Orb1, supposedly starting to ship next month...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been given some flavoured o_O :facepalm: Tchibo capsules lately, I don't have suitable machine so I opened them and prepared via standard manual presso :)
Namely I had Espresso with "Rasperry/white choc, Irish cream, Roasted nut, Tiramisu and Amarettini flavors".. :rolleyes:
Oh, Gawd!
I feel guilty just because I put (@5.1grams of) sugar-in-the-raw, in my quad of espresso shots (@82grams) to chase-off some of the inherent bitterness. I believe that the etiquette [?] for Turkish coffee - accompanied on the same serving tray - also provides a sweet delicacy (<< "lokum") for similar reasons.
I would feel like I am stuck in caffeine-purgatory if I ever added a single other "flavor" to my shots.:eek:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chasing the last placebo-laden 1%. You can get tea like aroma and flavor that was described from the article with just a regular geisha bean

Top Bottom