• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

dfuller

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202306_BarisieurNordstrom.jpg

There seems to be a slight problem with having this Nordstrom's $455 alarm clock w/drip coffee maker by your bedside:
I don't think it comes with a barista that grinds the fresh beans for you.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Panama’s Geisha coffee sets new quality record​

Reprinted from Newsroom Panama
Card image

Panama’s Geisha coffee sets new quality record Five of the 18 international judges from Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Bulgaria, and the United States gave their Geisha cups 100 points,

The Geisha, luxury coffee set a new quality record among specialty coffees, with 96.50 points, in the XXVII International Tasting of the Best of Panama (BOP). attended by 18 judges from seven countries.
The lot awarded with a score of 96.50 out of 100 among the Washed Geisha coffees was that of Carmen Estate Coffee, from the farm of the same name, followed with the best score, but in the Geisha Natural category, the De la Rosa lot from the Mount farm. Totumas Coffee was crowned with 96.25 points.
The Varietal coffees were hand in hand with the Geishas in the score, reaching 92.38 points with the Chicho Gallo Natural Gold Selection lot from the Guarumo Coffee farm.
In the event, organized by the Specialty Coffee Association of Panama (SCAP), 186 lots of coffee with 42 kilograms each competed, to finally offer on August 2 at the electronic auction of the BOP, 25 kilograms of the lots that have obtained the highest scores in the competition.
Five of the 18 international judges from Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Bulgaria, and the United States gave their Geisha cups 100 points, a historic value, confirmed Australian Will Young, the main judge who led the competition.
"I am very satisfied especially with the last two tables because I tasted the best coffee of my entire life. The best attributes were the 'terroir' and the attributes of the traditional Panama Geishas that shone in each cup," he said.
The French term 'terroir', or terroir in Spanish, refers to the combination of characteristics that affect the quality of the crop, in this case, coffee, such as soil, biodiversity, climate, and topography.
Hunter Tedman, SCAP President, said Panama specialty coffee receives the highest scores and prices in the specialty coffee industry in the world, and those that ranked highest are truly exotic cups.
Record prices
Panama's coffee industry is marginal, but the country has specialized in producing specialty coffees such as geisha, which is marketed at record prices, especially in Asia and Europe.
For the Geisha of Panama, the highest price per pound ($2,568) has been paid in 2021, acquired by a Japanese buyer.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Panama’s Geisha coffee sets new quality record​

Reprinted from Newsroom Panama
Card image

Panama’s Geisha coffee sets new quality record Five of the 18 international judges from Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Bulgaria, and the United States gave their Geisha cups 100 points,

The Geisha, luxury coffee set a new quality record among specialty coffees, with 96.50 points, in the XXVII International Tasting of the Best of Panama (BOP). attended by 18 judges from seven countries.
The lot awarded with a score of 96.50 out of 100 among the Washed Geisha coffees was that of Carmen Estate Coffee, from the farm of the same name, followed with the best score, but in the Geisha Natural category, the De la Rosa lot from the Mount farm. Totumas Coffee was crowned with 96.25 points.
The Varietal coffees were hand in hand with the Geishas in the score, reaching 92.38 points with the Chicho Gallo Natural Gold Selection lot from the Guarumo Coffee farm.
In the event, organized by the Specialty Coffee Association of Panama (SCAP), 186 lots of coffee with 42 kilograms each competed, to finally offer on August 2 at the electronic auction of the BOP, 25 kilograms of the lots that have obtained the highest scores in the competition.
Five of the 18 international judges from Australia, China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Bulgaria, and the United States gave their Geisha cups 100 points, a historic value, confirmed Australian Will Young, the main judge who led the competition.
"I am very satisfied especially with the last two tables because I tasted the best coffee of my entire life. The best attributes were the 'terroir' and the attributes of the traditional Panama Geishas that shone in each cup," he said.
The French term 'terroir', or terroir in Spanish, refers to the combination of characteristics that affect the quality of the crop, in this case, coffee, such as soil, biodiversity, climate, and topography.
Hunter Tedman, SCAP President, said Panama specialty coffee receives the highest scores and prices in the specialty coffee industry in the world, and those that ranked highest are truly exotic cups.
Record prices
Panama's coffee industry is marginal, but the country has specialized in producing specialty coffees such as geisha, which is marketed at record prices, especially in Asia and Europe.
For the Geisha of Panama, the highest price per pound ($2,568) has been paid in 2021, acquired by a Japanese buyer.

The unspoken truth however is that the water used, grinder used and the way coffee was brewed (cupping) is NEVER the way people brew and drink their coffee!! So in reality you only get some of those cupping notes while others are muted/masked depending on the quality of water, brewing method and grind uniformity. It’s a waste of money to spend ridiculous amounts of cash just to not get the full flavor spectrum of the beans that those judges noted

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The unspoken truth however...
...is how do you know that you really got the real stuff?
Just like the current Maui-Wowie has little traceability to the real stuff!:eek:
Fine print in stores selling "Kona beans" states it is only 5% Kona.

A Geisha dopio for my mate and quad-shots for me (=50gm) would be around $250USD.
Neither of us have such discriminating taste-buds << Nuh-uh! Not doing it!

dfuller

Major Contributor
...is how do you know that you really got the real stuff?
Just like the current Maui-Wowie has little traceability to the real stuff!:eek:
Fine print in stores selling "Kona beans" states it is only 5% Kona.

A Geisha dopio for my mate and quad-shots for me (=50gm) would be around $250USD.
Neither of us have such discriminating taste-buds << Nuh-uh! Not doing it!
The traceability for Panamanian geshas is very good. It also has such an intensely unique flavor (and tends to be roasted very lightly, so that flavor is not covered up) that blending it would be extremely obvious.

This is coffee usually but not always enjoyed as filter.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see any audiophilia similarities and don't understand why this kind of thread is here..:oops:o_O
You are just jealous [?] because this thread may really hit 100.
For some of us, it all started out as "Sex, Drugs and Rock-n-Roll".
Some of us had to give the up the 'drugs' for a healthier/happier family and/or professional life.
But 'we' were able to nicely slot-in the caffeine as the substitute for the 'drugs'!
You can make what you wish about audiphilia and sexphilia... maybe even on a new thread!o_O
---------------------
Back OnTopic:
202306_BeansScore.png

I was gifted 1kg ($45) of the Proud Mary, few days ago.
Today, while at Costco, I saw this single-origin Ethiopian ($12.50/lbs) at Costco and had to snatch some before they are gone.
Hurry!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also got myself the same CostCo Ethopian Light roast as you! It's very floral and pleasant tasting without any hint of bitterness and very low acidity. In contrast to specialty coffee beans that I've been drinking a lot, this to me is a nice welcome change. It's currently the mildest and most pleasant tasting coffee I've tried. I would see some people think of this as flat tasting but IMHO, it's not. I see its biggest potential though in blending it along other beans to give that sweet floral notes to those bright and fruity varietals like Pacamaras or Geishas.

I'll play around grinding coarser (to about the same settings that I use for medium - medium dark roast) to see if I can bring more acidity (slightly less extracted) to the cup

Update: Rather than changing grind size, I actually just increased the coffee concentration to match a specialty coffee’s strength. Whereas I usually do 21.5g/325ml for specialty coffee, I upped the Ethiopian Costco to 23/325 ml. Taste of citrus and floral is definitely prominent now as well as excellent and well balanced texture! A true bargain for a single origin organic coffee at 10 USD per 454g or lb!

1687038412490.png

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Chinese sellers call it a "blo hopper".:D
I refer to them as "bellows" and we may have discussed them before.
I use a make-shift, thin, stretch silicon cover on top of my grinder hopper and use it daily.
I had done searches previously but could not locate the proper diameter (mine=12cm diameter) bellows... until today.
Most such bellows are of 8.2cm diameter but here is one that I found and just purchased:
202306_Bellows.jpg

Caveat Emptor: Prices, coupons and shipping vary much.
Similar Link.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I notice that all our local supermarkets have:
Paired down their selection of coffee-beans:confused:
Most are dark-roasts:(
Every brand (<5) has their own version of an "expiration date" that seems arbitrary and vary.:mad:
You could have any weight you want, as long as it is exactly 12ounces.:facepalm:
And those 12ounces are gonna cost you the price of 16ounces... just 12months ago.:eek:
Welcome to shrinkflation?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I notice that all our local supermarkets have:
Paired down their selection of coffee-beans:confused:
Most are dark-roasts:(
Every brand (<5) has their own version of an "expiration date" that seems arbitrary and vary.:mad:
You could have any weight you want, as long as it is exactly 12ounces.:facepalm:
And those 12ounces are gonna cost you the price of 16ounces... just 12months ago.:eek:
Welcome to shrinkflation?
Good spot on the shrink-flation. I was looking for convenience and bought instant coffee and it tastes like>>>
G
A
R
B
A
G
E
!

LOL... it's really horrible and I can't drink it because it's like burned toast or something like that.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You gotta develop a taste for it... wink, wink!
That stuff is Boonesberry territory... I'd drink water instead.

Lux_ury

I put coffee beans in Tuna where my cat eats the said beans and Tuna, then I proceed to clean out the litter tray, looking for tiny pieces of brown acidic truffles for consumption (Laugh emoji)

Single origin beans espresso cup no milk or sugar, unless beans have been burned in a tumbler.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Single origin beans
????? Single-Origin, Single-Estate, Single-Farm, Microlot... wutevr!:eek:
"Have you ever walked into a café, looked at the brew on offer, and wondered why the coffee is being touted as single origin? I mean, what does that actually mean? Why is it important? Should you even care?" >> Link

meh...:confused:

Lux_ury

meh.... I dont drink in coffee shops I'm limited to what my cat produces for me. If you have to ask I sorry I can't help you (Don't care emoji.)
"Have you ever walked into a café, looked at the brew on offer, and wondered why the coffee is being touted as single origin? I mean, what does that actually mean? Why is it important? Should you even care?" >> Link

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I was not asking... but hopefully the revision should make you happier (the link was provided for those who may have wondered).
If you have to ask I sorry I can't help you (Don't care emoji.)
Cheers!:)

Lux_ury

I was not asking... but hopefully the revision should make you happier (the link was provided for those who may have wondered).

Cheers!:)
Maybe coffee pods is a much worthwhile discussion (Wink emoji)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Between drinking something partially brewed by my cat’s as$ or a pod…
I think I just swore off coffee!
#the-throw-up-in-my-mouth-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth

*grins mischievously

Top Bottom