• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I drink normally. I order kopi -o -kosong, don't add anything.

Same here! Ordered it with Malay/Singaporean food when I was there during the height of pandemic

37F56BF5-0662-438F-AEF4-C0C4AC6DE68F.jpeg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it really legal (or even a thing) in some customs to drink coffee with a meal?

Not sure really. I just like black coffee with meals just like some like it only with bread and butter

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We all have to get with the new coffee lingo... Like "Oleato".
202303_Oleato.png
in Milan.
'Eeeeeeyew' is all I can say w/o having tasted it yet... not that I plan to!:(

dfuller

Major Contributor
We all have to get with the new coffee lingo... Like "Oleato".
View attachment 269443in Milan.
'Eeeeeeyew' is all I can say w/o having tasted it yet... not that I plan to!:(
Yeah everything about this sounds putrid I'm not going to lie...

dfuller

Major Contributor
So I tried some Italian coffees over the last week, and I've come to the conclusion that Italians as a generality have no idea what they're doing with coffee roasting... blegh. All of it awful. Scorched, uneven roasts, super dark and bitter... And stale, too!

Danaxus

So I tried some Italian coffees over the last week, and I've come to the conclusion that Italians as a generality have no idea what they're doing with coffee roasting... blegh. All of it awful. Scorched, uneven roasts, super dark and bitter... And stale, too!
I've had coffee in Milan when I was there for work, and I can tell you, there was nothing uneven, dark, or bitter about it. It seemed like every place that served coffee, from the little kiosk to the nice cafe, knew their coffee. But no need to take my word for it: Gardelli is a world-famous Italian roaster and their coffees have been used in competitions - why not give them a try? https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although, I was married to an Italian (da 'whole' family!), I am not here to defend the Italians.
It may be hard to admit but they are (...or should) NOT be blamed for your bad 'Italian' coffee experiences.
Spoiler: You know that slogan about "Location, location, location!": Don't you?

Espresso, after-all is a coffee-brewing method, that is to have originated in Italy.
Angelo Moriondo (Turin) is credited with (and patented) his espresso machine invention.
Luigi Bezzera (Milan) one-up'd Angelo w/his own process patents.
Next dude that was up for espresso patents was the one that makes our morning espresso shots right here in my home kitchen: His name was Desiderio Pavoni (also in Milan; circa 1903).
Another smart wap named Gaggia pioneered his own machines (circa 1940).
Francesco Illy (although a Hungarian) married an Italian gal from Trieste (like me) and became a coffee purveyor (but unlike me) in the 1930s.
Luigi Lavazza is another Italian in the early Italian coffee trade, and as with Illy-clan, they are still alive and well into their families' 3rd generation of coffee-dust sniffers.

The history of espresso and Italy are bound together by birth.
Your statement comes across as stating that "Italians are not Italian enough!";)

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Although, I was married to an Italian (da 'whole' family!), I am not here to defend the Italians.
It may be hard to admit but they are (...or should) NOT be blamed for your bad 'Italian' coffee experiences.
Spoiler: You know that slogan about "Location, location, location!": Don't you?

Espresso, after-all is a coffee-brewing method, that is to have originated in Italy.
Angelo Moriondo (Turin) is credited with (and patented) his espresso machine invention.
Luigi Bezzera (Milan) one-up'd Angelo w/his own process patents.
Next dude that was up for espresso patents was the one that makes our morning espresso shots right here in my home kitchen: His name was Desiderio Pavoni (also in Milan; circa 1903).
Another smart wap named Gaggia pioneered his own machines (circa 1940).
Francesco Illy (although a Hungarian) married an Italian gal from Trieste (like me) and became a coffee purveyor (but unlike me) in the 1930s.
Luigi Lavazza is another Italian in the early Italian coffee trade, and as with Illy-clan, they are still alive and well into their families' 3rd generation of coffee-dust sniffers.

The history of espresso and Italy are bound together by birth.
Your statement comes across as stating that "Italians are not Italian enough!";)
I'm well aware of their history, I own a Rancilio machine and a Eureka grinder - both Italian. Doesn't mean that they're good at roasting coffee.

The only Italian brand I'd even consider buying at this point is Tafuri (who also make Saka, one of their sub-brands). The big name roasters are all spectacularly bad, way worse than US commodity roasters.
I've had coffee in Milan when I was there for work, and I can tell you, there was nothing uneven, dark, or bitter about it. It seemed like every place that served coffee, from the little kiosk to the nice cafe, knew their coffee. But no need to take my word for it: Gardelli is a world-famous Italian roaster and their coffees have been used in competitions - why not give them a try? https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/
If a shop is selling Geshas, they don't tend to count here. ;) No, I'm talking Illy, Lavazza, Hausbrandt, Passalacqua, Kimbo, Maromas, etc - that kind of thing.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I haven't explored too many Italian roasters, but I have been exposed to Illy... and I did not enjoy them. *shrugs

In other news... Our weather out here in the greater Bay Area has been so schizo-mpd that I can't get a consistent pull to save my life right now. Between the temperature and humidity swings we've had, I almost think I need to give up coffee and go back on the liquor. :p

Danaxus

If a shop is selling Geshas, they don't tend to count here. ;) No, I'm talking Illy, Lavazza, Hausbrandt, Passalacqua, Kimbo, Maromas, etc - that kind of thing.
If you're saying you don't like supermarket coffees, that makes complete sense, though Italian supermarket coffee is no better or worse than any other supermarket coffee. Buy beans that are several months old, I don't care what "proprietary storage methods" they have, it's going to taste like months-old coffee. At best you'll taste a pleasant roasting process.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is not really a "BBQ".
It is a Solaire "grill", that uses ceramic honeycomb, over the propane, to go infra-red, for grilling, at hi-temps.
Spent as much for it as the LaPavoni but that was a decade ago.
The logic was even the 'best' Weber (darling of ConsumerReports for decades) which costs (mid-fi pricing of) $400 would last maybe 5 years in salt-air communities.
imho >> Weber's philosophy is to curb the temperature and make (mid-fi quality) hardware last beyond (mid-fi) warranty.
I bought it because it is a 10year, full-warranty brick-sh*t-house .... except when temps dip below about 55F; it just becomes a bbq. :mad:
But if you've never flash-seared a salmon steak (not fillet) on such a grill, this may have been OT.

My all stainless-steel Solaire makes half of my neighbors think I am contributing to global warming and the other think I am an environmentalist.

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

Just bought a Decent DE1XL espresso maker after 20+ years using a Pasquini Livia 90. Talk about a 180 degree different approach . Will be interesting to experiment changing the extraction parameters.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was a happy user of Jura E8. Last week I replaced it with GIGA 6. Extremely happy.

If you don’t know Jura, they are the Nagra of coffee machines :)

I drink Flat White during the day, an Espresso at the evening, along with my favourite tipple:

Top Bottom