• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... The EU has tended towards the precautionary principle where the onus is on companies to demonstrate that something is safe whereas in good old North America where only money matters, we don't ask companies to prove it is safe, our regulators work to set safe exposure limits which is so complex. ...
The precautionary principle isn't always the best approach. It puts a thumb on scale of cost-benefit analysis, distorting it from outcomes supported by neutral research.

For example, on a small island where I once lived, some residents tried to block a new cell tower, claiming it could increase cancer rates. They asserted the precautionary principle in their defense. Yet statistically, based on cancer risk and automobile accidents, it is far more likely for that new cell tower to save lives than to cause harm. We had notoriously bad mobile/cell coverage, and all it takes is 1 person able to make a 911 call that they previously couldn't.

Another example is the FDA. If they approve a drug that causes harm they will be excoriated. But if they take so long approving a drug that ultimately turns out to be safe, meanwhile people die because the drug wasn't available during the extended approval process, nobody seems to care. Or they care but accept that as "cost of doing business". Of course the FDA does careful risk-benefit analysis to take this into account: the most exhaustive approval process is not always one one that gives the best total outcome. But biases like the precautionary principle shift this decision away from the optimal outcomes.

Empirical studies and risk-benefit analysis are hard enough to do already; we don't need biases distorting the outcomes. Of course, the precautionary principle is just one example of many kinds of such biases.

scrubb

Forum Donor
The Aeropress is awesome and will benefit hugely from a consistent grind. Do you grind whole beans or buy ground coffee?

I get premium fresh roasted coffee from a friend who’s the head roaster a a local roastery. I grind in a simple blade grinder. Blade grinders are not ideal for trying to get a course grind but I’m turning it into powder so it works great and doesn’t take up space.

scrubb

Forum Donor
Bisphenol A (BPA) and B leeches from the plastic and is a "key mimicking" compound. The chemical keys to the bodies receptors like a hormone or something like that. :facepalm:

The aero press says its free of BPA, for whatever that’s worth.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The precautionary principle isn't always the best approach. It puts a thumb on scale of cost-benefit analysis, distorting it from outcomes supported by neutral research.

For example, on a small island where I once lived, some residents tried to block a new cell tower, claiming it could increase cancer rates. They asserted the precautionary principle in their defense. Yet statistically, based on cancer risk and automobile accidents, it is far more likely for that new cell tower to save lives than to cause harm. We had notoriously bad mobile/cell coverage, and all it takes is 1 person able to make a 911 call that they previously couldn't.

Another example is the FDA. If they approve a drug that causes harm they will be excoriated. But if they take so long approving a drug that ultimately turns out to be safe, meanwhile people die because the drug wasn't available during the extended approval process, nobody seems to care. Or they care but accept that as "cost of doing business". Of course the FDA does careful risk-benefit analysis to take this into account: the most exhaustive approval process is not always one one that gives the best total outcome. But biases like the precautionary principle shift this decision away from the optimal outcomes.

Empirical studies and risk-benefit analysis are hard enough to do already; we don't need biases distorting the outcomes. Of course, the precautionary principle is just one example of many kinds of such biases.
Nothing is perfect but a reasonable amount of caution is never a bad thing. Saying that, sometimes there are unintended consequences such as you are noting. If there is big money pitted against health, big money will almost always win. Always has, and always will. Anyway, back to coffee, which I am enjoying a nice cup of now. Fresh ground some Kickinghorse Coffee, Lola light roast done in a French press. Yummy.

Wombat

Master Contributor
125761464_1697748223718486_1318595905715904774_o.jpg

zelig

Forum Donor
I get premium fresh roasted coffee from a friend who’s the head roaster a a local roastery. I grind in a simple blade grinder. Blade grinders are not ideal for trying to get a course grind but I’m turning it into powder so it works great and doesn’t take up space.
You may want to try a conical burr grinder. Even the cheap ones should give a much better result than a blade grinder. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Portable-Adjustable-Stainless-Espresso/dp/B08BFN53YF

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not really a fan of hot drinks, I find they feel too thin and strange. I'll occasionally make a hot chocolate (Options brand) with some instant coffee in it, or maybe a dash of blended Scotch whiskey.

If I want coffee I'll drink it ice cold in the warmer months of the year.
Playing around with the idea of a Greek Frappe, I've settled on Nescafe Espresso instant, some white and demerara sugar, a little water and shaken until it forms a smooth foam. Add vanilla ice cream and milk. Yum.

I've made cold brew too, well, semi-cold. Boil water, then let it cool enough to touch the kettle. Something like 300ml water to 60g ground coffee, and leave that to sit overnight in a sealed glass container. Filter it through filter paper and collect the 'cold' brew.
Makes a nice tall drink with plenty of ice, milk and some sugar syrup.

My folk's drink something like 'cowboy coffee', chucking the ground coffee in a saucepan, adding water and then plonking on the gas stove. Not letting it boil, but heat well and gently. Strain through filter paper and into cups. Add sugar and maybe whitener.

Green and Blacks used to sell a nice dark coffee chocolate bar. Aldi used to do a coffee and cream chocolate bar that was ridiculously addictive, only saw it one Christmas in the UK. I was on holiday in Bayern, and grabbed as many as I could stuff in the suitcase.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Playing around with the idea of a Greek Frappe, I've settled on Nescafe Espresso instant, some white and demerara sugar, a little water and shaken until it forms a smooth foam. Add vanilla ice cream and milk. Yum.

That's not a drink its a dessert. :p

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for Nespresso here, usually the soft and fruity flavors of capsules, pure black of course.
But one day I will have a big automatic grinding coffee machine. One day!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real coffee drinkers don't have a spoon in the cup, because they drink it black.
I don't know. I recently consumed a cup of Turkish coffee, double boiled, containing both sugar and cardamom. Strong enough to curl your toes. I'm guessing Turks could be considered 'real' coffee drinkers. I'm not provincial in matters of coffee, although straight black is how I prefer it.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my coffee like I like my women...cold and bitter.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I produce my own cold brew.
24h steep at room temperature....no sugar.
went from arabica to blends and back to arabica when I found out that cold brew needs a dark roast

MikeStark

I also recommend to use a mug warmer. It's a great thing for real coffee connoisseurs! Often a good modern coffee machine has such function, but when I bought mine I don't take in mind that it's so important...

mansr

Major Contributor
We use a DeLonghi Magnifica espresso / cappuccino machine:

ECAM23270S-front-cappuccino.jpg

Whole beans go in the top, milk on the left side, water in the right side tank.

1 cappucino per day for breakfast.
My similar-looking De'Longhi recently started leaking water. I disassembled it a bit more than I usually do for cleaning, and found 10 years of accumulated gunk had resulted in some sort of spillway leading to the drip tray getting clogged. After a thorough cleaning, no more leaking. And no surplus parts.

Audiotone

Very happy with this machine :)

Attachments

• 906C8FC1-FAE1-4211-89ED-FABC1BCB0CEC.jpeg
    906C8FC1-FAE1-4211-89ED-FABC1BCB0CEC.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom