• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Headphone

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I made a cable from a cheap Philips headphone cable and soldered two 2.5mm TS plugs on it.
Lowers the microphony but the headband, cups and cable are still microphonic.

View attachment 233354
Thanks for the tip and picture. I don't think microphony in the headset itself normally is that big of a problem. It's worse with the cable, I think. I am strongly considering getting an OLLO. However, I don't know if I should choose the open or closed version. I thought for a moment if I could get it open but with a couple of extra closed body back covers and try my hand at it. But as I understand it, the open and closed model are not completely identical otherwise. In addition, it apparently violates the warranty.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They have a slightly different damping scheme.

It would be easier to convert the closed one to open than the other way around.
The point where the cup connects to the headband is closed using some foam which would be lacking when converting from open to closed.
The open version needs some additional damping foam on the magnet assembly.
driver-s4r.jpg

driver-s4x.jpg

The open version is much 'warmer' sounding.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just noticed at OLLO:s webpage there is a Reference S5X on the way. I wonder if it is a completly new model or an upgrade of the S4X. There is just a notice - "comming soon", but no information.
EDIT: I was in contact with OLLO. S5X is a new model, bigger, 50ohm, different target etc,... It looks like the new model is even more flat than S4X, but with an elevated treble. It looks like something very different compared to S4X. Maybe S4X is a better choice if mixing is not the user case.
I also asked about microphony. They said it is a trade-of to get an extremely linear response. In other words, it seems microphony is not by bad design, but intentionally. A side effect to benefit in other respects. They also said the new model will have some lower microphony, but not reduced completely.

S5X - Open Back for mixing and mastering in stereo or immersive binaural (e.g.Dolby Atmos)
OLLO Audio
1664276328636.png

Psychoacoustics/perception compensated with OLLO Target 2022** | IEC60318-4

Last edited:

Peterinvan

Focal Elegia/Dekoni Sheepskin Pads

These are very comfortable and offer isolation, great sound, sound stage, and imaging. I use the Meze "silver" balanced 4.4mm cable.
After listening to my open Grado 325 the Elegia sounds a bit "cupped", but I expect that is to be expected (open vs. closed)

Top Bottom