• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Back Headphones Help t

JediMa

I've few very good open back which I love and with Edition XS I'm super happy. I wanted to add to my collection some heaphones still audiophile but also funny to listen with very good bass, Closed Back, nicely and solid build.

I had Meze 99 classics and Neo and i really didn't like them and I sold them both time ago and I tried AKG K371PRO that sound very well but neutral

Budget is 300

staticV3

Master Contributor
So you want something that's less neutral than the K371, but more neutral than the Meze 99?

OP
JediMa

JediMa

So you want something that's less neutral than the K371, but more neutral than the Meze 99?
Good question, something bassy but not with the bad ones of Meze

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Denon D5200 comes to mind.
It has a similar treble elevation as Ed XS and smooth mids. Slightly elevated bass compared to the K361. Also laid-back mids.
When you do not have big ears and want to go cheap (K361 pricing) have a look at Aurvana Live SE (not Aurvana Live 2)
Warm/full laid-back sound with not rolled-off treble.

Last edited:
OP
JediMa

JediMa

Denon D5200 comes to mind.
It has a similar treble elevation as Ed XS and smooth mids. Slightly elevated bass compared to the K361. Also laid-back mids.
When you do not have big ears and want to go cheap (K361 pricing) have a look at Aurvana Live SE (not Aurvana Live 2)
Warm/full laid-back sound with not rolled-off treble.
Denon look amazing but here they cost almost 500 which is almost twice my budget. I will read more about Aurvana which i didnt know, what do you think about Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suppose you mean Samson SR850 (Superlux made) and is somewhat close to HD668B in sound.
It is not closed but semi-open (like the other similar looking Superlux models)

MrNice13

Yeah sorry typo from my phone.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohm is fun with the bass extension which really delivers on songs that have it low. New is best since the pads really affect the soundstage. At 36 bucks for pads it's usually not worth it to buy used if they need replacing.

leonasj

LCD-2 closed, though it will take some EQ if you are striving for 'neutral'.
correct. lcd-2closed back. i have on sale those new in box,2021 model. 690eur. pm if interested. Neutral warm sound.

Attachments

• audeze.jpg
    audeze.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 50
  • audeze1.jpg
    audeze1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 50
  • audeze2.jpg
    audeze2.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 55
  • audeze3.jpg
    audeze3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 47

BigEarsBill

I've few very good open back which I love and with Edition XS I'm super happy. I wanted to add to my collection some heaphones still audiophile but also funny to listen with very good bass, Closed Back, nicely and solid build.

I had Meze 99 classics and Neo and i really didn't like them and I sold them both time ago and I tried AKG K371PRO that sound very well but neutral

Budget is 300
I just picked up a used Neo 99. Un-amped, I found it to have a lot of bass but it sounded bloomy and thick. Amped, it sounded better but still congested for my tastes. I EQed a little treble shelf at the top three frequencies using SpeakerAmp - just enough to take a windshield wiper to that treble veil. I'm not wild about the cup design or the headband but with an extra squirt of treble, I had a Ratatouille flashback to the Beyerdynamic DT-1990, with its metallic charm people either love or hate. As much as EQ gets aligned, it sure comes in handy sometimes.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Shure SRH 840A are good but need EQ to reduce the v profile. Once you do they're very good.

Top Bottom