• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A amplifier

kongwee

Major Contributor
You could just listen more since you have a good amp. Go hifi show, sure you will meet top Class A amp like Pass Lab, Gryhon, Classe.....etc Some of them are high power in Class A above 100watt. For turnable, you have to really listen yourself thou ASR do not encourage about LP. You can go hifi show and listen for yourself. I price going hifi show than keep buying gears non stop.

You gonna have Magico A3, this will keep occupy for months if you don't have time to run in.

OP
R

rman9

Unless you have very efficient speakers then I think the 20W@8R is not going to be enough for now and for future upgradability. Do you have other choices for a amp that you are considering?
I'll confess, I have the Mcintosh MA352 (gives me the tube experience), C53 and the MC462 combo gives a fantastic solid state experience.. all bought in the last few months.. The last thing I wanted to checkout is a Class A amp. A balance of a fine brand and not too expensive.. And the Luxman L550AX ii fit that.. The L590 seems a little too expensive.. In all honesty, I do not know if I really need to spend any more if I am not going to get a big difference with a Class A..

OP
R

rman9

You could just listen more since you have a good amp. Go hifi show, sure you will meet top Class A amp like Pass Lab, Gryhon, Classe.....etc Some of them are high power in Class A above 100watt. For turnable, you have to really listen yourself thou ASR do not encourage about LP. You can go hifi show and listen for yourself. I price going hifi show than keep buying gears non stop.

You gonna have Magico A3, this will keep occupy for months if you don't have time to run in.
Thank you!! I will definitely check out the hifi shows once they start to come back..

OP
R

rman9

How about something like this Luxman L-509X. It gets you into something with enough power for most dynamics and for future proofing. Otherwise maybe a very powerful Krell integrated or something other than the Luxman might be in order. The Krell won't look like the Luxman though. Luxman has very good looks.
Hmm, I thought I posted a message and it did not.. Let me try again. a confession is due. I have the MA352, C53 and MC462 combo.. The MA352 gives a great tube experience and the C53/462 a fantastic solid state exp.. All bought in the last few months and I have been on a spending spree.... Last thing I wanted to dabble in was the Class A experience and the Luxman L550AX ii fit the bill with a fine brand and not too expensive.. I am not quite sure, if I'd want to spend too much if I hear from folks here that I am not going to get a big step up with class A.. And you are right, the Luxman has such a beautiful refined look..

Goodman

A few months back, I looked seriously investing into a turntable.. but after some discussions on this board with some valuable inputs from members I have stayed clear of the vinyl itch and I am mostly convinced to not go that route.. Thanks.. Now I have questions on Class A amplifiers.. I have good Class AB amps.. However, Class A amps with the good linearity, high gain and low distortion.. are they something to explore and not ignore? I am looking into a 20Watt/channel Class A amp..
I have been a long term proponent of class A amps, I still own one, its in the basement gathering dust. If I where to go for very high sensitivity horn speaker, I would consider using them again. Otherwise you are favoring linearity at the expense of intermodulation distortion. I have tried all classes of amplification. My advice: Get the best high power class AB amplifier you can afford (avoid mosfet amps).

OP
R

rman9

I have been a long term proponent of class A amps, I still own one, its in the basement gathering dust. If I where to go for very high sensitivity horn speaker, I would consider using them again. Otherwise you are favoring linearity at the expense of intermodulation distortion. I have tried all classes of amplification. My advice: Get the best high power class AB amplifier you can afford (avoid mosfet amps).
Thank you!! Do class A amps have shorter life time? because of how hot they run

levimax

Major Contributor
Thank you!! Do class A amps have shorter life time? because of how hot they run
You can generalize as it depends on the design and quality. Because class A is running "full power" at all time they have to have very robust power supplies and large heatsinks which if done right will lead to a long life but skimping on heatsinks or PS cap ratings will lead to a shorter life. The brands you are looking at (Luxman and the like) will probably last more or less forever.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love my 20W class A amp. I had class D 600W/1200W and also own very good class AB but prefer class A to listen.

DHT 845

Definitely get a turntable - a decent one :)
I am constantly tempted to buy turntable. However prices of records are insane.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Understood!! so the 20 watts/channel is going to be quite underwhelming??

^yeah…^ generally.

Unless you have a stack of vinyl. Then the advice you have been given to stay clear, seems sound.
(I have a TT, but why start now?)

I would do speakers unless you are happy with the ones you have.

Putting a fat class-D on them, would probably be a good move assuming you are keeping with those speakers.
And most amps are not earth shattering in difference. Either there is too little power, or they all basically sound similar.

Speakers, on the other hand, are where the lion’s share of distortions and non-linearities comes from. So it is usually best to go big on that end of the system.
The stuff in the middle are just wires and gain… until the speakers are not the weak link.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I'll eventually buy a turntable and shamelessly plug it in this chain:
Turntable -> phono preamp -> ADI-2 Pro with DSP loudness and tone controls -> MiniDSP SHD with Dirac calibration and subwoofer crossover to stereo subs -> Purifi Class D amp -> Speakers

Will it kill the analog spirit of vinyl? :p

0bs3rv3r

I would recommend moving towards class D, not A, as a general direction in modern amplifiers. Not that class A isn't good (I still use some low power class A amps), but there's nothing it does for me that class D hasn't bettered.

Tom C

Major Contributor
If you like unneccessarily expensive, heavy, inefficient, high distortion technology from past decades, class A fills the bill perfectly. If you want state of the art, distortion so low you’ll never hear it, and output levels that will blow the roof off, save yourself money, time and eliminate disappointment by getting a good class D amp.

Goodman

If you like unneccessarily expensive, heavy, inefficient, high distortion technology from past decades, class A fills the bill perfectly. If you want state of the art, distortion so low you’ll never hear it, and output levels that will blow the roof off, save yourself money, time and eliminate disappointment by getting a good class D amp.
I would not buy a class D amp with your money.

DHT 845

So far all class D was disapointment for me. Tripath, hypex, pascal, ice power. It can sound ok, even better that many class AB but just ok.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few months back, I looked seriously investing into a turntable.. but after some discussions on this board with some valuable inputs from members I have stayed clear of the vinyl itch and I am mostly convinced to not go that route.. Thanks.. Now I have questions on Class A amplifiers.. I have good Class AB amps.. However, Class A amps with the good linearity, high gain and low distortion.. are they something to explore and not ignore? I am looking into a 20Watt/channel Class A amp..
Having read the thread I agree with those who recommend a powerful class D amp although I doubt there will be an audible improvementif you do not play loud.

If you really want to improve sound quality you need to add room EQ. Get a measurement microphone like the Umik and use the free software REW to find the peaks and nulls. Think about adding 1 or 2 subs to improve bass.

Top Bottom