• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast Audio RIP

Darwin

These things existed so Google can record what you do with it and sell the data to advertisers. They likely figured they could get more data by forcing their customers to use smart speakers instead.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This device has pretty limited data mining potential based on the narrow feature set it was designed with. Probably a large part of why it's being discontinued with no successor announced. It's actually amazing they decided to give it optical output capabilities at all. I've got 5 on the way.

LF78

The real question is: will it continue to work in the future? Since it needs to download a tiny piece of software from Google every time cast is started.

It's really a pity anyway, there aren't really easy and cost effective alternatives (with digital out).

bigx5murf

Why wouldn't it? The cast function had been pretty well embedded in everything Google, and they still over plenty of products that utilize it.

Willem

Major Contributor
The danger is in the periodic (invisible) updates to the firmware. If those are discontinued, the unit could rapidly become obsolete.

ascorbyl

Now that the CCA is dead, would a good alternative be a regular Chromecast with an HDMI audio extractor? One with optical or coaxial digital outputs.

Last edited:

ascorbyl

For @amirm to test?

Since the units go for around 20-30 dollars, I would assume the built-in line outs are trash. However, since the other outputs remain digital, there shouldn't be a huge degrading of sound quality. It would be interesting to see if there are any differences though.

Also, I can't seem to find a reasonably priced one with coaxial outputs...

Willem

Major Contributor
Since the units go for around 20-30 dollars, I would assume the built-in line outs are trash.
You may be surprised, but this is not the case. Until recently I have used the analogue output in a pretty high end system (Quad amplification, Quad 2805 electrostats) and the sound quality was excellent. I have just converted to using the digital output with a good modern PIoneer U-05 DAC with variable output, and that sounds better, but not by much, and only on really good modern recordings. But if you read the tests results by Archimago or Amir you will not be surprised.

ascorbyl

You may be surprised, but this is not the case. Until recently I have used the analogue output in a pretty high end system (Quad amplification, Quad 2805 electrostats) and the sound quality was excellent. I have just converted to using the digital output with a good modern PIoneer U-05 DAC with variable output, and that sounds better, but not by much, and only on really good modern recordings. But if you read the tests results by Archimago or Amir you will not be surprised.

Which test results are you talking about in particular?

gvl

Major Contributor
Why wouldn't it? The cast function had been pretty well embedded in everything Google, and they still over plenty of products that utilize it.

Apparently the firmware contains 3rd party clients such as Spotify and Tidal, they need to be kept in sync with the backends.

OP
PierreV

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, definitely not trash. I have 5 of them and ran a direct comparison roon direct to Linn, roon to CCA optical to Linn DAC, roon to CCA analog to Linn line in on my Vivid Gyia G3.

direct Linn vs CCA optical = no meaningful difference that I could tell.

I could tell the difference between optical out and line out, optical out definitely better, in all cases (but I can't stand poor recordings so there was a bias in what I listened to).

However, without a direct comparison, I would have been happy with the line out. In fact, I run the line out on two of my other "lesser" systems and have no real complaints.

bigx5murf

I had a short power outage last night, and upon getting power back, my CCA was having strange issues. It couldn't connect to my 2.4ghz network, and when connected to my 5ghz network, it kept stuttering everything I played. All my other devices were working as normal. Eventually I got the CCA to work as it did by factory resetting my router, the repairing the CCA on 2.4ghz. Really weird, and I was dreading need an alternative sooner rather than later.

HJSouth

I have been having the same withdrawal since Chromecast Audio was discontinued. Bought two additional to use as backup. For those that were looking for alternatives I have purchased two different options and tested them. I use CCA in two high end two channel systems, streaming flac files from my server to the Chromecast using Hifi Cast. The CCA goes to my Dac via the optical toslink cable. I want the optical feed, don't want to use the on board dac! I bought two products off Amazon that I thought would be alternatives to try. Comments are below:

Nexum Tunebox2 TB20: shipped from China. Great packaging, fast delivery. Aluminum case and Built like a tank!. The instructions were marginal at best. Finally got it to be seen by my router, the android app used for setup they say is on the play store is not. I downloaded from a secondary site. No option via app for Speaker groups like CCA, have to manually push a button on each unit if you want multi room/system playback. Once set up it performed fine. For some reason Volume was lower on this vs CCA. Don't understand that since the optics signal shouldn't be attenuated. Alternate features not tested.

August WR320: shipped via US stock. Good packaging, plastic housing, but nicely put together. Doesn't feel really cheap. Instructions were quite better, not perfect. There is an August android app on Google play store that worked as advertised. It appears you can set up speaker groups via the app. So should be able to stream the same music to multiple systems. Sound quality and response using Hifi Cast app similar to CCA. I decided not to use the August app other than for setup as Hifi Cast was much more polished. Lower cost than Nexum Tunebox. This would be my second choice if CCA dies for any reason. Alternate features not tested.

Top Bottom