• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast Audio RIP

BillG

Major Contributor
There is also the Harman Kardon Adapt range.

Yes, and I actually posted about their streamer here a few months ago. If my CcA ever fails, I can't find another at a reasonable price, I'll be purchasing the Harmon since it has Google Cast builtin, and I appreciate the widespread support and ease of use of the protocol... :cool:

Last edited:

Negatywny

This is strangest thing on earth. CCA costed what? 30$? Couple years ago closest alternatives costet 500$. Now one can buy pretty cheap "streamers" for i think something like 250$, but still nothing for 30$. How could they stop selling it? Is it some kind of conspiracy to sell expensive streamers instead? Didn't CCA sell like hotcakes?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is strangest thing on earth. CCA costed what? 30$? Couple years ago closest alternatives costet 500$. Now one can buy pretty cheap "streamers" for i think something like 250$, but still nothing for 30$. How could they stop selling it? Is it some kind of conspiracy to sell expensive streamers instead? Didn't CCA sell like hotcakes?

It was $15 delivered at the end...

Even for the $50 they go for typically now, I think it's an amazing bargain.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio has built Chromecast it into their streamers, but that's no $50 dongle.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Google have seen what the market wants, not what we few want. The trend is self powered blue tooth speakers with Google Cast, that is what every one buys. The Google assistant and home automation is the way Google want us to use audio. They have their own speakers and the Google Nest Hub. I hope that they will resurrect the CCA as a Google Assistant with analogue/digital out. Amazon have one already (at least with analogue out)

Negatywny

Google have seen what the market wants, not what we few want.

Wireless speakers is one of the biggest pieces of cake now in the hifi market worth something like 15 billion dollars, but that can't be the reason for not selling other types of products....

BillG

Major Contributor
This would render it useless in the case Google phase out the Google Cast support, but I don't think so honestly.

That protocol isn't going to be decommissioned anytime soon, if the number of devices that now support it natively is any indication - I'm thinking televisions specifically. But, streaming video without the capacity for audio? Well, that's pretty useless to most people... ;)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it still make sense to buy a CCA today? Is there a serious alternative at the same price?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a digital output? None that I know of, and I try to stay current on the topic in case mine fails... :cool:

With analog output to a preamp for instance. And/or digital to a DAC/pre.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it still make sense to buy a CCA today? Is there a serious alternative at the same price?
A Pi or similar will give you USB out, and a similar but not identical feature set, depending on what distribution you use, but it's not a finished product like the CCA, and it will cost more. We will probably never see the like of the CCA again.

Top Bottom