• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Chord Qutest vs Rme Adi 2 dac

Has anyone heard the chord Qutest before? If so, how did it compare to other dacs you've heard, preferable the RME dacs. Any advice is welcome.

sonci

This is not the best place to ask for subjective opinions..
Even if someone would jump and share his preference, the other will say that they sound the same because they measure good...
:cool:

Good point. Any info such as measurements would be appreciated too.

Someone needs to let amir borrow a qutest

derp1n

Qutest is just the DAC part of a Hugo 2, which was already measured here.

Thank god I got the rme instead of chord. I hope my benchmark hpa4 measures well. It sounds so much better than my rme amp section, so I imagine it will. Or we will see how bad my hearing is lol.

Has anyone heard the chord Qutest before? If so, how did it compare to other dacs you've heard, preferable the RME dacs. Any advice is welcome.
It's 100% subjective but stills my thoughts all the same: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-and-headphone-amp.5147/page-4#post-114537

Qutest is just the DAC part of a Hugo 2
Not exactly. Rob Watts saids on Head-Fi: If the digital section is similar, the output stage is designed differently.

Last edited:
Now that the Qutest and ADI-2 have been measured, it seems the ADI-2 didn't get the new test bench treatment with VRMS and SINAD numbers.

I asked the question to Amir and the conclusion was that there is likely no audible difference, but obviously the ADI-2 has far more features and balanced out.

If it helps I'm planning on getting an RME ADI-2 and I currently have a Chord Qutest because I want the balanced output. That said, the Qutest is a very very capable DAC that I have no problems recommending to someone who is into digital audio.

I could tell little to no difference in sound between my two, maybe qutest by a nose, but the features of the RME DAC won it over for me.

VintageFlanker

I could tell little to no difference in sound between my two, maybe qutest by a nose, but the features of the RME DAC won it over for me.
Did you level matched the two devices?

I had both at home few months back and preferred the ADI-2. But the ADI-2 was set at 1.73V and the Qutest at 2V. That's why I was probably able to pick one over the other.

Level matched and measured. Interesting , people usually pick the louder unit! You made the right choice

VintageFlanker

Level matched and measured. Interesting , people usually pick the louder unit! You made the right choice
Yep. Still don't know if it was placebo, or just the higher output, but I found the Qutest more fatiguing to listen. I kept my ADI-2 at 1.73V at the end, cause I have a VERY sensitive preamp.

How do you find out which voltage is correct for your amp?
Do you have to check your amp spec sheet to see its output voltages via analogue?

Top Bottom