• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Qutest vs Rme Adi 2 dac

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard the chord Qutest before? If so, how did it compare to other dacs you've heard, preferable the RME dacs. Any advice is welcome.

sonci

This is not the best place to ask for subjective opinions..
Even if someone would jump and share his preference, the other will say that they sound the same because they measure good...
:cool:

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Good point. Any info such as measurements would be appreciated too.

Someone needs to let amir borrow a qutest

derp1n

Qutest is just the DAC part of a Hugo 2, which was already measured here.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Awesome! Thanks for the link

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Thank god I got the rme instead of chord. I hope my benchmark hpa4 measures well. It sounds so much better than my rme amp section, so I imagine it will. Or we will see how bad my hearing is lol.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard the chord Qutest before? If so, how did it compare to other dacs you've heard, preferable the RME dacs. Any advice is welcome.
It's 100% subjective but stills my thoughts all the same: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-and-headphone-amp.5147/page-4#post-114537

Qutest is just the DAC part of a Hugo 2
Not exactly. Rob Watts saids on Head-Fi: If the digital section is similar, the output stage is designed differently.

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Now that the Qutest and ADI-2 have been measured, it seems the ADI-2 didn't get the new test bench treatment with VRMS and SINAD numbers.

Belgarathian

I asked the question to Amir and the conclusion was that there is likely no audible difference, but obviously the ADI-2 has far more features and balanced out.

If it helps I'm planning on getting an RME ADI-2 and I currently have a Chord Qutest because I want the balanced output. That said, the Qutest is a very very capable DAC that I have no problems recommending to someone who is into digital audio.

McFly

I could tell little to no difference in sound between my two, maybe qutest by a nose, but the features of the RME DAC won it over for me.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could tell little to no difference in sound between my two, maybe qutest by a nose, but the features of the RME DAC won it over for me.
Did you level matched the two devices?

I had both at home few months back and preferred the ADI-2. But the ADI-2 was set at 1.73V and the Qutest at 2V. That's why I was probably able to pick one over the other.

McFly

Level matched and measured. Interesting , people usually pick the louder unit! You made the right choice

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Level matched and measured. Interesting , people usually pick the louder unit! You made the right choice
Yep. Still don't know if it was placebo, or just the higher output, but I found the Qutest more fatiguing to listen. I kept my ADI-2 at 1.73V at the end, cause I have a VERY sensitive preamp.

Sparky

Forum Donor
How do you find out which voltage is correct for your amp?
Do you have to check your amp spec sheet to see its output voltages via analogue?

McFly

Your amp should have an input sensitivity rating , typically .775V, 1V or 2V. That information is in your amps spec sheet

Sparky

Forum Donor
Thanks McFly.

I'll check it out.....

Do you own the RME? If so, what's your opinion on it?

McFly

Its is THE perfect DAC. For objectivists. For scientists. For Engineers and for Bedroom Producers.

-Measures exceptionally. As we've seen here.
-Performs faultlessly, and is constantly monitored and updated, as we've also seen here @MC_RME. Also check his own forums.
-Plays any format.
-Locks with the messiest of S/PDIF inputs and gets on with it, I can confirm, when other DACs throw their hands up and play static or snow on top of the music, or hiss when formats are changed like an old analog TV changing channels, the RME will not. Unless your source is cooked.
-DSP functions with a seemingly infinite level of control, the loudness function, the EQ, the crossfeed.
-All the information you could ever want is available, not just some LEDs that illuminate when playing different formats, or none at all.
-Throw away your pre-amp, the RME can be your pre-amp.

And much more. If you are "Left brained" I could not recommend this marvelously engineered DAC more strongly. If you are looking for euphonic or colour in your sound, you might listen elsewhere.

I have numerous DACs now and I just change them up. Sometimes I want correct sound so I go to the RME. Sometimes I want warm 'garbage' sound so I use my other DACs.

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

I am electrician by trade so I do have an "engineers" brain if you will.
I do like to hear music as it was produced and intended to be heard and, with my Spendor A7 speakers, I feel it will pair well.
My amp isn't the best, an Arcam SR250 but still, I feel I can make good use of it.

I will be honest and say that I'm a little bit daunted by the seemingly endless options and changes you can make but I'm sure a few days with the manual will put my mind at ease..... I hope so anyway.

I was going to buy a Chord Qutest but this RME just keeps frothing to the top of my shortlist every single time. I'm obsessed with reading about it.... :cool:

It really does seem like an engineers (tinkerers) dream..

McFly

A lot of audiophiles seem to be electricians and engineers. I am also an electrician by trade.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Wow.

Small world eh!
You're on to something there though, in my circle of friends, the guys that enjoy good music and hifi gear are either engineers or scientists.

Funny that. :)

I just have an unending urge to adjust and fine tune things! It's a curse really though as I always feel that something isn't quite right.
I'm hoping the RME will scratch that itch and I can finally just relax and enjoy the music! :D

Top Bottom