• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Mojo 2 Release

Chester

The Chord Mojo 2 looks set for release tomorrow. Looks to be a general upgrade to the original, with some feedback from users being taking into consideration. Nothing particularly unexpected.

The thing that peaked my interest though (and thought may be of interest to others here), is it has supposedly got the first implementation of Rob Watts designed EQ functionality. Given Rob’s views on how carefully the music has to be reconstructed and view that current EQ approaches are not sufficiently transparent, I am interested to see if he is approaching EQ in a different way to what we have seen previously.

I totally appreciate the vast majority of opinions here on Rob’s approach and beliefs and am not suggesting there is anything revolutionary coming, I just thought in the spirit of Audio Science, it might be interesting to see if something comes that’s worth discussing. We will have to wait and see what information becomes available tomorrow.

OP
Chester

Chester

Hadn’t seen that, thanks for posting.

To be clear, I’m not stating that a new approach (if there is one) is the same thing as an audible difference. I just thought that as a science based bunch, audible or not, we would probably be interested in discussing the merits of new ideas and/or approaches. Good and bad.

OP
Chester

Chester

has zero value

On that note, thanks for your contributions so far. Fair warning, I’m interested in discussion of potential different approaches that may or may not have merit. I personally am interested in hearing the approach before deciding validity. This doesn’t sound like a thread you’d be particularly interested in though, but of course feel free to stick around.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm less interested in the approach and more in the outputs. The world of portable dac/amps has moved on massively since the Mojo 1. The M2 will have a mountain to climb.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just announced today, as planned.

Chord_Mojo_2_1~2.jpg
Chord_Mojo_2_2~2.jpg
Chord_Mojo_2_3.jpg

OP
Chester

Chester

There are some slides from Rob Watts on his EQ implementation over at Headfi. I’m not sure if I can post them here or not.

threni

Major Contributor
The USB-C port looks like a hack…
You have to allow for the fact that it only costs HOW MUCH?!?! Only a one year warranty too.

Last edited:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Considering what the price tag will be, along with all the other competition. Label me unimpressed.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice measurements too.

Dynamic range 125.7 dB A wt.
Noise 2.7 uV A wt., no measurable noise floor modulation
Distortion and noise 0.00027 % at 2.5 V 300 ohms
Power output 1 % distortion:
90 mW 300 ohms (5.2 V RMS)
600 mW 30 ohms (4.2 V RMS)
0.06 ohms output impedance
118 dB stereo separation 1 kHz 300 ohms 2.5 V

OP
Chester

Chester

I’ve seen a few people mention the price tag. Maybe it’s more expensive outside the UK but I didn’t think £450 was terrible to be honest, if it suits your needs. Small form factor, likely reasonably well built, DAC/Amp combo, nice digital volume, crossfeed and some EQ options, battery powered etc. Over £500 I would be starting to feel the same, but I thought it was priced just about in the realm of acceptable. Obviously price is as subjective as the next thing. I’m sure some fellow Brits consider it expensive.

Veri

Master Contributor
I guess Rob Watts also reinvented DSPs, literally...

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 16.39.16.png

I do wonder who eats this up at face value. More claims here...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess Rob Watts also reinvented DSPs, literally...

View attachment 183356

I do wonder who eats this up at face value. More claims here...
Hmm, I wonder if those points address the RME ADI-2 DAC, which was always compared to their Qutest, and now use ESS DAC (see here about noise floor). :rolleyes:

The ADI-2 user interface is complex because it is filled with features, but at least it has a very nice color LCD, easier than these colored lights.

I know, Mojo 2 and ADI-2 are different use case products, but I expect a Qutest 2 with similar DSP to come next.

OP
Chester

Chester

Chord have put themselves in a tricky position with their Poly module I think. It’s taken so long to get it working as expected that if they did away with micro USB ports now, all those Poly owners would be incredibly angry. If it had worked when it first launched, I think people would have been more forgiving of Poly (and micro USB ports) being depreciated.

They are in an out of sync cycle now though, as Poly 2 (if and when) will need micro USB to be backwards compatible with Mojo 2.

threni

Major Contributor
Chord have put themselves in a tricky position with their Poly module I think. It’s taken so long to get it working as expected that if they did away with micro USB ports now, all those Poly owners would be incredibly angry. If it had worked when it first launched, I think people would have been more forgiving of Poly (and micro USB ports) being depreciated.

They are in an out of sync cycle now though, as Poly 2 (if and when) will need micro USB to be backwards compatible with Mojo 2.
They could have put both ports on though, right?

Top Bottom