• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing Headphone Amp for Fostex T50RP

Bob-23

one of the insensitives ...
...don't be so pessimistic, lean back & take a deep breath, it' all about a hobby - there's only one thing in life which is absolutely certain, and, apart from that, the final proof of the pudding is the eating - how about testing yourself if O2 is sufficient for your very most insensitivst monster? Order O2 by amazon, test it and then send it back. Usually no problem with amazon. Or take your phones, go to a local hifi-dealer, and test it on a comparable dac/amp. If these latter measures are not possible for you to take, go the way which prepares you the the least sleepless nights.... Enjoy!

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And what do you take from that graph as regards your purchase decision?

EDIT, cross posted. You drew the right conclusion

OP
W

WSM_2020

That's where Amir found the 'knee' to be. Follow the line and you will find 0.9W is still possible albeit with a lot of distortion.
You have to remember this is a very short 'peak' with music and only 1.4dB difference.
I see ... Can u comment on the graphs I've submitted?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see ... Can u comment on the graphs I've submitted?

I believe it shows that the o2 gives a higher max output voltage into the t50 than the others on the graph. To the level SD originally suggested of around 7v.But see comments around distortion. As the others on the graph had been eliminated by yourself, I'm not sure how this informs your decision. There is no pass/fail or other "red line" an amp needs to hit. You will get music out of any amp / 'phone combo.

EDIT- It also tells you that at max output, all amps bar the low gain on the K5 will have the T50 exceeding 90 dB SPL. I've no idea how loud that is to the average listener. Also, that is unlikely to be undistorted as per previous comments.

Last edited:
OP
W

WSM_2020

The dotted line of O2 is a way higher than the dot of T50RP and more or less higher than the lines of the other head amps. That means for me that O2 can cope with the 'phones better ...
And here is a sometimes hilarious sound test of the modded T50RP with the Mayflower variant of O2:
I understand why this guy has 1.2 million subscribers. LOL

OP
W

WSM_2020

The version of O2 I've chosen has 3.5 mm input and output only, while Yulong U100 has 2xRCA output and a line input. I can connect the devices through O2 output and U100 line input, - am I right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The version of O2 I've chosen has 3.5 mm input and output only, while Yulong U100 has 2xRCA output and a line input. I can connect the devices through O2 output and U100 line input, - am I right?

Back up. The yulong is your dac into the o2 into your headphones?

So you'll need an rca to 3.5mm cable from the yulong rca to the o2 3.5mm input. Don't spend much. Amazon basics or local equivalent. Do the t50 only have a 6.35mm plug or a 3.5mm adapter? If not, again, cheap basic adapter

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

And what is your source? Where is the music file coming from into the Yulong DAC?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No! But I think you are confusing outputs and inputs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Solderdude is not a guru.

correct .. I rather see myself as an amateur.

An amateur (/ˈæmətjər -tjʊər/; French: [amatœʁ]; lit. '"lover of"') is generally considered a person who pursues a particular activity or field of study independently from their source of income. Amateurs and their pursuits are also described as popular, informal, self-taught, user-generated, DIY, and hobbyist.[1]

The self-taught, DIY, activity indepently from my source of income, informal, 'lover of' audio electronics and hobbyist all fit the bill.
much better than:
Guru (/ˈɡuːruː/, UK also /ˈɡʊruː, ˈɡʊər-/; Sanskrit: गुरु, IAST: guru) is a Sanskrit term for a "teacher, guide, expert, or master" of certain knowledge or field.[1]

OP
W

WSM_2020

You can do some testing too, try connecting the o2 directly to the analog line out on your PC if there is one. Bypass the Yulong and see if any difference you can tell.
As far as I've got Creative Titanium HD in my PC, besides internal Realtek ALC1220, yes, it would be rather interesting indeed ... )))

OP
W

WSM_2020

If u and the forum rules allow that is what I'm listening now with an overwhelming delight:
It is in fact Aznavour's concert in Olimpia concert hall in Paris in 2004 ... I don't know French but this music and this voice take my soul away, somewhere to the heavens! :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If u and the forum rules allow that is what I'm listening now with an overwhelming delight:
It is in fact Aznavour's concert in Olimpia concert hall in Paris in 2004 ... I don't know French but this music and this voice take my soul away, somewhere to the heavens! :D
On the t50 and the o2? Glad you're happy

OP
W

WSM_2020

Without O2 yet, on Yulong. Yulong happened to die yesterday - no sound at all, after staying for about 9 hours switched on but not in operation. I was understandably shocked but after reload Windows was kind enough to correct a "pair of mistakes" and u know what ... Yulong started producing much louder sound! But I WILL take O2 anyway to get all the juice possible! But they are sending shivers up my spine already, Yulong and Fostex! :D:D:D:D:D
But is it proper for me to post their my favourite compositions? And will you, folks, listen to them? I would like to post, among others, some , more or less retro, Soviet Russian songs performed by the USSR most talented voices ...

Top Bottom