• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap alternatives to speaker stands?

Yasuo

Take 2 rectangular pieces of plywook, cut them in the middle and half of its length and then combine them into a cross. Can be made to look very stylish.

Just like the picture below, but have the height adjusted to your needs (obviously)

1625849910371.png

Edit: changed the picture and it looks like the correct word is cross halved joint.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice suggestion! Turns out they have a 30" version with a 13" top as well. I haven't decided between that and "real" speaker stands from Rockville for not much more.
Didn't know that. 30" is a great height alternative. I have a number of the 24"ers that have been used for everything from planters to speaker stands, nightstands, endtables etc. Versatile and solid. Good looking too but probably not as speaker stands for a house with curious animals or young kids

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm real happy with my solution. On the left are a pair of woodworking projects built by my wife's ex: below [unseen], a multi-colored, 15" x 15" x 15" painted box with oversized books, above, a rotating CD case. So the CD case rotates horizontally. On the right, the a/d/s 400 is on top of a rolling roadie rack with the Yamaha AVR, a Sony Blu-Ray and a Sonance sub. So, this is a full-range satellite/sub system. It's easy to fine tune the toe-in of the speakers, both speakers are at the exact right height, with the tweeters at ear-level when I'm seated at the desk.

IMG_20210709_131341379.jpg

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Bought some second hand Atacama that are filled with something heavy (Atabites?) for like €50. Not going to DYI for that kind of money.

Yasuo

Oh, just remembered: PVC pipe, many years ago I used a weight disc plate for the base and a square cut MDF on top. Can be filled with sand (or concrete) for extra stability (partially of full). Also it can painted to match your interior design. Choose between one large pipe or 3 thinner pipes in a triangle (using multiple thinner pipes makes it easier to add a small angle on the top)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
King Pin, who makes those gear stands?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow the "Married with Children" vidcap seems particularly appropriate in the above post.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Using yoga blocks on top of a sub, thinking I need something a little higher still with my Chanes.

King_Pin

King Pin, who makes those gear stands?
I made them. If you ever heard of DIY Flexy racks using threaded rod that's what I made but added 1.5" Aluminum electrical conduit as shelve spacers to hide the rod. I cut each piece and then sanded them to give a brushed look.

Reactions: Wes
Top Bottom