• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center channel and bass

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Q regarding bass output in center channels: it's often stated (rightly, IMO) the center channel is the most important speaker in a multichannel setup. But, if we accept center is most important why aren't there more full-range options available?

I suspect it's a mix of:

Full range = full size (no practical placement above/below most screens)

Owning a center channel implies you also own subs+bass management

but, in passing I've also seen posts implying the center channel simply doesn't output much bass. Is there any truth to it, any standard?

Djano

I agree with your two explanations.

I struggled to place my center channel speaker, and could not put it under the TV in a WAF compliant way. I had to put it in the TV furniture, in a far from ideal place (too low, not perfectly centered). If anything, I would not want it to be bigger...

And it is also true that people who own a center speaker go with a 5.1 setup, so they have the subwoofer to manage the missing low frequencies. You can verify this by looking at the "home theater packs" that are being sold.

I want to add that, as low frequencies have a long wavelength compared to the woofer size of even big subwoofers, the sound is omnidirectional at these frequencies. So it does not matter that the "center bass" is not coming from the center. You are just not able to locate it, and would be even less able to locate it if it came from a slightly smaller woofer on a full range center speaker.

If you truly want to have full range speakers on front and rear, you could use the subwoofer only to add what is missing from the center channel. Tell the AVR all speakers are "large" (so their bass is not sent to the sub), except the center which should be programmed as "small", so LFE channel + center bass are sent to the sub.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some AVR can have a crossover on the center channel redirecting the lower frequencies to the FR and FL.
Best way is to adjust the crossover frequency until the point where the dialog rendering is optimal.
That way the size of the center channel is mainly dependant on how far is the listening distance.

ozzy9832001

Q regarding bass output in center channels: it's often stated (rightly, IMO) the center channel is the most important speaker in a multichannel setup. But, if we accept center is most important why aren't there more full-range options available?

I suspect it's a mix of:

Full range = full size (no practical placement above/below most screens)

Owning a center channel implies you also own subs+bass management

but, in passing I've also seen posts implying the center channel simply doesn't output much bass. Is there any truth to it, any standard?
I feel like having another source would cause more problems with interference and further excite modal problems.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Her is the Dolby Atmos spec for theatre screen speakers.

2.3 Frequency Range: 40 Hz to 16 kHz, +3/–6 dB
2.4 Frequency Response: 80 Hz to 16 kHz, ±3 dB

So a center speaker that is flat to 80hz is all you need. Movie mixers usually use it mostly for dialogue and anything with content below that (they are used for effects when there is no dialogue) is filtered out and sent to the sub. If your AVR is set up properly it should be using the speakers according to the dolby/dts specs.
I don't know enough about multi channel music mixing to comment on that.

Top Bottom