• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, let me join your RIP prayer for Seiji OZAWA; I posted the same here...

007Shortz

I'm definitely going to get slaughtered for this post but as I was scrolling through this thread I remembered the 2017 Oscars. Sara Bareilles sang “Both Sides Now” by Joni Mitchell in the In-Memoriam segment. It was so respectful and beautiful. Very dignified. I still get goosebumps today.

Embedding for is suppressed for this video. So here is the link: Sara Bareilles - Both Sides Now

- may the force be with you -

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
I was just listening to Future Days again yesterday. Probably pretty close to being my favourite album of all time even though Damo apparently didn't much like it ...

RIP
It is pretty much a perfect album.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/arts/music/wilhelmenia-wiggins-fernandez-dead.html

09fernandez-01-qcgt-articleLarge.jpg

So sad -- one of my favorite movies. The opening scene is just beautiful. R.I.P. to a wonderful performer...

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wikipedia: "Robert G. Heil (October 5, 1940 – February 28, 2024) was an American sound and radio engineer most well known for creating the template for modern rock sound systems. He founded the company Heil Sound in 1966, which went on to create unique touring sound systems for bands such as The Grateful Dead and The Who. He invented the Heil Talk Box in 1973, which was frequently used by musicians such as Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh and Richie Sambora, and is still in use today.

Heil was an innovator in the field of amateur radio, manufacturing microphones and satellite dishes for broadcasters and live sound engineers. In the late 1980s Heil Sound became one of the first American companies to create and install home theaters, and Heil has lectured at major electronic conventions and taught classes at various institutions.

He won multiple awards and honors, and in 2007 he was invited to exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

I checked, this is not Oskar Heil (unrelated), inventor of the AMT tweeter. Still, very serious audio-cred here. RIP. :cool:

heil.png

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... this is a bit strange. But actually fits in well with hi-fi, and what the hobby has become. Ole Anderson beamed up a few days ago. What, you ask, could Ole have in common with anything audio related? Good question.

Actually, with few exceptions, the mainstream hi-fi scene is what Ole represented-- that is, Kayfabe. Dependent upon suspended disbelief. An idea that has underscored almost all audio-journalism since Gordon Holt broke away from the mainstream in the '60s. It is the idea that what we want to believe is really real.

Vince exposed the business. Yet, before that the inner mechanism of pro-wrestling was always denied, or at best shrouded in a vaugeness few understood. It has been the same with audio. Before about 1977 (not an arbitrary date, but the time that Mark Davis from MIT psychoacoustic laboritories made it known to the general public in his correspondance with Peter Aczel), the mystery of audio gear was exposed. It's a distinction highlighted (using pro-wrestling terminology) between the 'marks' (fans believing it is real) and the 'smarts' (those understanding that it is all a 'work'--i.e., a show for effect).

Smarts tend to be ASR oriented. Marks follow the Stereophile/Absolute Sound path.

However it is, and for those who might have grown up on it and today might might want to relive it, the link below highlights Ole in perhaps one of the best 'angles' ever invented in the pro-wrestling business. Featuring poker-face Gordon Solie, who sold it in a way no other could...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not music related but he's given a significant amount of happiness and joy to every kid in the 90's to even today during my childhood days. RIP Akira Toriyama

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also RIP to Eric Carmen;

Thanks! Another great talent (and fellow Clevelander) passes. :)

Not sure what he was doing for the last few decades so wondering if we might not see a dedication album with some unreleased material. Seems unlikely he just stopped creative output even if no longer seeking public adulation.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was amused to read Mr. Jewison say he was given the job of directing 'Fiddler On The Roof' because of being mistaken for being Jewish.
He was not?! :oops:
I mean Norman! & Jew'i'son!
What a movie though, what a movie. I have upscaled and enhanced it using Ai and conventional software, to 4K.
Absolutely love it.

Top Bottom