• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cause of large upper-mid suckout from room that occurs with multiple speakers?

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@QMuse and @Willem make good suggestions. Place the mic 1ft to 3ft from the speaker with the mic at tweeter height pointing directly on axis to the tweeter. Take a measurement, post the result.
PS. Room eq will help with the dip between 100 and 200 Hz, not by boosting but by bringing the adjacent frequencies down...

EDIT: PS and how are you measuring your speakers? I.e. what is the signal path from REW onwards. Are you using a laptop with onboard soundcard for output?

Last edited:

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
Almost like a text-book experiment ...
My left speaker was at the left corner of my room.
My right speaker was not (I have an open side).
Left speaker: Screenshot_20210211_163935_com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq.jpg
Right speaker: Screenshot_20210211_163939_com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq.jpg
Prediction for left speaker: equation_sbir.PNG
Prediction for right speaker: equation_sbir_right_speaker.PNG

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Hi, cam across this thread which was relevant to what I am facing now but for different set of frequencies. My suck out occurs at 3K, see pics. Any reasons for this and should this be corrected with REW...seems would be a huge boost in FR in that area or a huge cut in other FR to bring it in line.
Left Response Ave.PNG
Right Response Ave.PNG

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, cam across this thread which was relevant to what I am facing now but for different set of frequencies. My suck out occurs at 3K, see pics. Any reasons for this and should this be corrected with REW...seems would be a huge boost in FR in that area or a huge cut in other FR to bring it in line. View attachment 141893View attachment 141895
Can you window your measurements?

FeddyLost

If your measured responce is "flat" with any of speakers alone and have deep notch in midrange, it's most probably interference cancellation/diffraction issue on microphone. This effect is just consequence of small size of microphone. Compare wave lenth of notch with microphone size and you'll see.
In my experience with best alignment of mic according to acoustical axis and equal distances this notch is very deep and not so wide, when something is not precise, it widens.

Top Bottom