• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
Since the Carver will be delivered soon can you tell us about your test equipment and your test methods. For instance, did you make any of the previously posted measurements in room with say, a laptop and mic and maybe free software?
Just curious.
I have a sinking feeling that the results of this ordeal won't turn out positively for anyone involved in it.
That includes Carver, you and ASR.
A microphone???? Really???

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
Square waves were requested, so here they are:
275 1kHz square wave.jpg

275 10kHz square wave.jpg

275 100Hz square wave.jpg

It was also pointed out that having the speaker negative binding post connected to audio ground would bypass a resistor in the feedback network, and this is quite correct. As suggested by the person who brought this to my attention, I left the load and my scope (running on battery power) across the binding posts and grounded the feed to my FFT to the audio ground instead of speaker negative. This change did not appreciably change any of the readings I checked.

Last edited:

Zackthedog

If your advertised power rating is anything other than continuous (which is what everyone expects these days) you should specify it. Otherwise you are deliberately misleading people.

Cheers
Indeed, a big problem here is that, like the poster at Audiogon, some folks assumed they'd found a lightweight, uniquely-designed budget tube amp from a famed engineer that could power their inefficient speaks.
275 1kHz square wave.jpg

It was also pointed out that having the speaker negative binding post connected to audio ground would bypass a resistor in the feedback network, and this is quite correct. As suggested by the person who brought this to my attention, I left the load and my scope (running on battery power) across the binding posts and grounded the feed to my FFT to the audio ground instead of speaker negative. This change did not appreciably change any of the readings I checked.
Square wave pics didn't come through?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The square waves look pretty darned good, from my perspective. The 100 Hz is probably predictable; the 10k looks pretty surprisingly good, particularly considering the hardware it's gotta get through.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Indeed, a big problem here is that, like the poster at Audiogon, some folks assumed they'd found a lightweight, uniquely-designed budget tube amp from a famed engineer that could power their inefficient speaks.

Square wave pics didn't come through?
You can't see 'em? Heck, I even see them in your quote of @paulbottlehead's post (?!).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Not exactly this year's model, though. ;)
The 2022 MC-275 Mk Whatever specs, e.g, do not.
The new versions of the McIntosh tube amps aren't really tube amplifiers. They're platforms for green LEDs under tubes which should be amber.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
275 1kHz square wave.jpg

I don't see any images.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I see the images now. Not all that bad. This is for the factory bought amp?

But I wanna see 30Hz at 20 watts. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If folks continue to have trouble seeing them, and if @paulbottlehead is OK with it, I can put the images up on Flikr and hotlink 'em to this thread.
Just let me know... :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If folks continue to have trouble seeing them, and if @paulbottlehead is OK with it, I can put the images up on Flikr and hotlink 'em to this thread.
Just let me know... :)
CONTINUE having trouble? Beyond the square waves, there are more?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I see 3 square waves, there isn't more.
That's all there is? Nothing more?? I've lived my entire life for three lousy square waves? :facepalm:

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
The factory assembled amp has been sitting about ten miles south of me since the 29th of December. Thanks FedEx!

Top Bottom