• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Card carrying objectivists

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I hope @FrantzM doesn't mind me quoting his post on another thread. I think it is a good jumping off point for a discussion.

Hi

While I have become a card-carrying "objectivist", I believe we need to take into account what we perceive, rightly or wrongly. Measurements came to be, to ascertain some of our perceptions , not the other way around. In my book there are differences between gear that under a given set of measurements sound the same. THD in particular as usually measured remains in my book as an insufficient metric, with most any units exhibiting vanishingly small level of such while sounding to my ear quite different. In the here and now, I would like members to continue posting their subjective impression even if it is to be challenged or even later reversed with proper observations, tests protocols , etc .. Such can only advance our knowmledge rather than declaring (hydrogen-audio-like) that we have reached perfection and that every gear sounds the same. Itt remains true that the differences may not be as great as the hyperbole would lead to believe, but we are again in the psychology of human emotions and perceptions: What is "small" and/or insignificant ( loudness wars among others) for most humans in term of audio differences may not be for the audiophiles.

On this, I have struggled also with the MiniDSP accessories in the signal chain. I am not yet persuaded that all DACs sound the same and am not pleased both emotionally and intellectually with the notion of cascading AD to DA conversions.. Something has to give and it usually does with a large degree of insatisfaction... subliminal often ... many find themselves not listening to their stereo as often.
The goal of these measurements should be IMO to further the enjoyment of reproduced music in one's home.

Measurements came to be to ascertain some of our perceptions, not the other way around he says. Maybe, maybe not I say. The measurements that stuck around I would agree.

The bigger question is declaring we have reached perfection and all gear sounds the same. I would ask, what would convince you such a thing is true? (not just FrantzM, but a question to the larger audience here).

Now it is my opinion everything other than transducers are fully transparent to us and exceed our ability to hear it. Caveats include things designed to have a "sound", and poorly designed gear. Poorly designed gear still happens even at elevated pricing. Though it seems unnecessary. Items like the Topping DACs show that inexpensive gear can be very good.

We also have gear people seem to love for the sound. Certain tube gear for instance. Maybe fully transparent gear isn't really the solution for maximum satisfaction for music/gear lovers. Quite often extremely high fidelity gear is declared sterile sounding. Colorful gear like colorful decorating can be satisfying for the taste shown in the endeavor.

How much is psychological? Firstly that despite intellectually knowing gear should sound the same you come to the conclusion over time or casual use that somehow it is still doesn't? We get influenced by so many things even the shape, size and cost of something. Even after you have "shot it out" in blind testing and could not hear any gear vs another you still find yourself (or I should say myself) equating certain sound qualities to one device vs another. Level match it and try blind and it all disappears yet it can reappear all the same. Measure it till the cows come home finding no reason for a difference and yet experience hearing it differ all the same. Of course I was infected with audiophilia decades ago. Those starting out without the infection might not have such a hard time.

Also mentioned is a subliminal sense of dissatisfaction which sometimes leaves one listening to their music less often. That too has a psychological element to it that goes beyond the performance of the gear. We get some satisfaction of a goal obtained by hearing differences, selecting gear, thinking what we have has been assembled with care, taste, and discernment. Even if the sound quality is not diminished or even altered one bit the psychological attachment, satisfaction, and the entire listening experience is different when one has put together their gear vs saying "its all perfect just pick what you need for least cost". Audio becomes an appliance and you get about the same satisfaction from your rig as you do your refrigerator. You only notice it when it doesn't work.

So if it has become true, that short of speakers, I can provide a list so that you can pick any item on it knowing they all sound exactly the same, does this diminish the hobby, or the experience or your tendency to listen to music? Should one intentionally proceed with untrue assumptions if they result in being a happier audiophile? And if you have become a card carrying objectivist how do you reconcile your knowledge with the experience?
I am an agnostic, myself. I value measurements and controlled listening tests extremely highly. I would never knowingly purchase something that "measures bad". But, two things are apparent to me. One, we don't have all the measurements thoroughly, competently and consistently done for all the gear of potential interest.

And, two, can we just accept as belief that all electronic gear (except speakers, vinyl, etc.) if well designed with similarities in the quality of measurement results we actually do have will "sound the same"? If we criticize the beliefs of total subjectivists, how can we ourselves fall back on an alternative simplistic belief, which, though it has very decent anecdotal evidence in support of it, is not proven beyond all possible doubt?

On that, I am afraid that I must still listen for myself, if only to verify to my own satisfaction that the "sounds the same" belief holds true with specific gear in question. Often, for me, it does, or is too close to call, even in sighted comparisons. It is extremely comforting when that happens. But, frankly, in some cases, it does not. I may delude myself in this, but I do take pains to reassess that outcome carefully if that is what I think I hear.

My view is that, like most things, we have imperfect information. Measurements are a subset sample of data that can tell us a lot of what is going on, but they may not tell the whole story. Example: do amp measurements reveal all about the interaction of that amp with a particular speaker, which might have difficult or unusual loading characteristics (like mine)?

In my opinion, no. So, I would not and did not buy my current amps without my own extensive listening comparisons. They revealed in some cases only at best subtle, inconsequential differences - just go with the cheapest - or surprisingly somewhat larger differences, requiring a choice in terms of my own subjective preference. Older, but wiser now, the ClassA stereo amps I eliminated had a much higher MSRP than the seven channels of mixed ClassD and AB amplification in my 7.1 system. Ten years later, I am still quite happy with those choices.

Listener preference is also highly flawed, subjective, potentially biased, etc. But, it may add more useful data to the decision process in spite of that. My preference, imperfect though it might be, is important to me once heard. As long as I don't try to insist it is a universal truth for all to worship, no harm is done. And, I am not going to argue with myself that I could not possibly be hearing any difference. Hey, we are all somewhat different, and we hear differently, systems differ, rooms differ, recordings differ.

I like to think I have in listening factored out as much as possible marketing hype or uncontrolled, subjective anecdotes of others, even magazine reviewers. But, you never know. However, in the end, I am accountable only to myself for my own audio system decisions. I would not purchase anything without a return privilege and after comparative listening to it in my own system in my own way.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let me say that I find the highest value of measurements to be detection of design faults. It is especially important to find the marketing purports to say otherwise (recent R2R DACs come to mind). In most cases if not all, I am not seeing these as audible benefits designed in. A USB interface that is full of noise and jitter cannot be "by design." A headphone amplifier that oscillates mechanically when you remove its load can't by design. A mains operated device that is not properly grounded and safe is not by design.

So far I have not run into devices that are supposed to be bad on purpose and that bad character has been designed in. I am sure I will run into them at some point but until we do, the measurements are valuable to weed out non-performant devices sold on basis of flowery words than real design excellence.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I plan to do that but I think it cannot work as a USB DAC. Is that right?

Capture.JPG

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the measurements are valuable to weed out non-performant devices sold on basis of flowery words than real design excellence.

This captures everything this site is about in one sentence.

For me its important to get the most idea implementation at the least cost possible. I don't want any subjectivity in the reproduction chain; lets leave that to the artists to make the music. I can then tweak things to my subjective liking. The JBL 305s are a little fatiguing to my ears. I am ultra-sensitive to harshness (perhaps due to tinnitus?) and figured I need to be able to enjoy the music for extended periods. So, a low-pass filter in Roon has been a big help. Look what I have done, gasp!

Capture.JPG

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Let me say that I find the highest value of measurements to be detection of design faults. It is especially important to find the marketing purports to say otherwise (recent R2R DACs come to mind). In most cases if not all, I am not seeing these as audible benefits designed in. A USB interface that is full of noise and jitter cannot be "by design." A headphone amplifier that oscillates mechanically when you remove its load can't by design. A mains operated device that is not properly grounded and safe is not by design.

So far I have not run into devices that are supposed to be bad on purpose and that bad character has been designed in. I am sure I will run into them at some point but until we do, the measurements are valuable to weed out non-performant devices sold on basis of flowery words than real design excellence.

What about tube technology that by design measure poorly compared to cheaper, smaller, more energy efficient and more user friendly solid state gear? So should we write off tube gear altogether?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So should we write off tube gear altogether?
As a source of transparent, accurate gear, yes.
As lovely sounding tone controls and distortion inducing gear, no. They serve the owners intentions perfectly. I owned VTL tube amps for over 20 years.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
As a source of transparent, accurate gear, yes.
As lovely sounding tone controls and distortion inducing gear, no. They serve the owners intentions perfectly. I owned VTL tube amps for over 20 years.

I get what you say and I’ve met this argument many times.

However, when the recording and mastering process intentionally adds tubes to colour sound, I am at a loss understanding why doubling up on the «juicy sauce» during playback is beneficial.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
What about tube technology that by design measure poorly compared to cheaper, smaller, more energy efficient and more user friendly solid state gear? So should we write off tube gear altogether?
I have seen good measurements for some tube gear, and I have heard some I judged "vanishingly transparent", almost indistinguishable in comparison to solid state. One problem with their measurements is they may not look as good with tubes, but what is truly audible? Does an amp with 0-100kHz flat frequency response necessarily sound better than one with 10-40k?

But, I would not touch tubes, because the good, more transparent stuff ain't cheap. Most seems to want to sound "tubey", not surprising since the circuit is often just an update of textbook circuits from the 30's, 40's, 50's. Also, tube characteristics change more with use than SS, they need periodic replacement and rebasing, run hot, need more warmup time, etc.

A friend has a pair of big Berning OTL ZOTL amps - that is Class D for tubes, so it is an innovative, new design. They sound pretty good to me, totally untubey, compared to his Pass XA 60's. Why he has both is a mystery.

Oh, and BTW, the Bernings cost a lot more than the Pass's.

Last edited:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am happily in the objectivist camp. But that camp has this meaning to me: We can measure any audible wiggles in the air or in electronics. Measurments do not have to correlate with hearing, they have to correlate between each other by using calibrated test equipment.

Hearing is subjective and preference is above definition or scrutiny, it is just what we say it is, measurements are repeatable, subjectivism is not very much so.

As has been mentioned, simple measurements defined in the 1930's are just that, simple. Nowadays we can scrutinize those aggregate flow charges as much as we want even with a simple sound card and find differences in harmonic spray. These differences and the way the system interacts with its load are what cause things to sound different, and that is not magic, its science.

Audio is like food preferences, we can generally agree, but only to a point. And as I have said before, plain old stereo is not all that good at bringing the music to us, we don't listen to two pinpoint sources of sound, etc ad nauesum .....

Plain old stereo can use any and all the help it can get IMO, and being more accurate to the source is not always subjectively helpful when you start out with such a limited reproduction system!

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Plain old stereo can use any and all the help it can get IMO, and being more accurate to the source is not always subjectively helpful when you start out with such a limited reproduction system!
This is no different from saying that 2D television is very limited and therefore it needs some 'magic sauce' to make it subjectively better. Well, if so, that is the job of the producers of the content, and we find that no one in the video world advocates anything but strictly neutral reproduction from the reproducing device itself.

The idea that some arbitrary distortion in some electronic devices may accidentally improve a composite recording is a fantasy - and why, more than 100 years into the experiment, people are still impressed when they hear neutral reproduction.

But 'neutral' is a very strict criterion, and cannot be achieved accidentally. This is why I think I tend towards 'believing the design' rather than 'believing the measurements'.

A question for all you card carrying objectivists: how are you going to measure 'BACCH'?

Wombat

Master Contributor
This is no different from saying that 2D television is very limited and therefore it needs some 'magic sauce' to make it subjectively better. Well, if so, that is the job of the producers of the content, and we find that no one in the video world advocates anything but strictly neutral reproduction from the reproducing device itself.

The idea that some arbitrary distortion in some electronic devices may accidentally improve a composite recording is a fantasy - and why, more than 100 years into the experiment, people are still impressed when they hear neutral reproduction.

But 'neutral' is a very strict criterion, and cannot be achieved accidentally. This is why I think I tend towards 'believing the design' rather than 'believing the measurements'.

A question for all you card carrying objectivists: how are you going to measure 'BACCH'?

At the amplifier outputs. Where else?;)

Subjectivism and objectivism are not mutually exclusive but where they are contradictory I expect evidence to have more credence.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Further, it would be interesting to see if the harmonic restructuring by these 'room compensation products' introduces audible distortions.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Straightforward 'objectivism' is a nice idea but falls down at the first hurdle:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-power-spec-distortion-cut-off.2462/
...what cut off point for THD+N do we want to use to provide our "official power spec" for headphone amplifiers? Picking a random 0.1% number would not even work for the tube one above as it barely gets there.
It is not even possible to specify a single figure for that! Any figure that is chosen will be arbitrary, dare I say 'subjective'.

Implicit in such a figure is an assumption that we know how amplifiers work, and they are all the same. But, for example, some amplifiers made by you-know-who oscillate by themselves prior to the smoke coming out, so while you specify a clipping point, the '+N' is really catching the amp's instability.

A sophisticated design (i.e. without audiophile approval) might not even clip but could limit the output by reducing gain. As mentioned above, some amplifiers won't even drop below 0.1%. For others, they may pass through the threshold more than once. Is clipping a function of voltage or power, or both - so what is the most useful load to test with? Etc.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not a card-carrying "objectivist" (a term I associate with Ayn Rand), but I think the way to measure any crosstalk cancellation/HRTF compensation system is with intraaural microphones. The closer the intraaurally recorded signal is to what's on the record, the better.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
... I think the way to measure any crosstalk cancellation/HRTF compensation system is with intraaural microphones. The closer the intraaurally recorded signal is to what's on the record, the better.
For sure, but even then there are going to be questions. For example
  • Over what frequency ranges do you look for the separation?
  • Do you use steady state sine waves or transients?
  • What sort of room? Where are you going to sit/stand in it?
  • Must your head be held in a vice? Or are you allowed/supposed to move it around?
Etc.

In the case of BACCH, you could simply look at the algorithm and it would tell you everything including the stuff you never thought of measuring. If you (we) don't understand, or have access to, the algorithm then there's one thing for sure: we can't possibly make meaningful measurements and judge them.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Using the 2d photo analogy, you may remember when color photography came about, and folks would say how the colors were wrong and the black and white looked crisper and better. They preferred the black and white! Black and white did not represent neutral or natural or whatever, yet folks can to this day find gripes about color, but in the beginning, they preferred shades of gray to shades of color. Audio is very limited, its almost black and white as far as trying to replicate from your two speakers what happened somewhere else in time...many folks like their photo photo shopped. Some amplifiers can have nearly the same THD+N (basic testing with sinewaves) but sound much more dynamic, if you know design of audio, you can get that effect, which could certainly make the music sound better AND more realistic. Objectively, IMO, current stereo lacks a lot, a whole lot....as I used to say, I expect that if someone were listening to a "perfect" system, but did not know it was perfect, half the people would prefer something else, that's because stereo is lacking to start with. A perfect black and white picture of a colorful world is still lacking.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
John Curl exhumed the following quote from a mid-1960s letter to Stereophile, originally published in Vol. No. 4: "Sirs: I say that stereo is a first class fake and the biggest fraud ever put out by American Mfr. I have never found anyone who knows audio engineering or music that did not agree with this. All those who disagree just don't know enough to know the truth or they are liars engaged in selling stereo equipment. The only reason that most people have gone for stereo is that they have not had time, and will not take the time to get all the facts, so they are victims of advertising, the biggest con game in the world, and I am not so sure that they don't deserve what they get.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Objectively, IMO, current stereo lacks a lot, a whole lot..
You've lost me there, "objectively" what is stereo lacking? I'm not sure what you are referring too?
I expect that if someone were listening to a "perfect" system, but did not know it was perfect, half the people would prefer something else, that's because stereo is lacking to start with.
That's a subjective opinion made without a reference to "perfect"

Top Bottom